Sponsored

Paxton vs whipple

Csb1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt
Trying to decide what I want what are your guys opinion on these two systems and what are the plus and drawbacks to each system? And what are the power numbers looking like from both systems and the reliability for both systems also what is the maintenance looking like for both systems? Looking to get max 700 hp out of either what would I need to do that for both systems?
Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I don't have experience with a centi on these cars but have had Vortech and then Kenne Bell on a Fox Mustang and for a street car the Twin screw makes gobs of torque and power when on the street much preferred. With my GT PP I chose Whipple twin screw for its great power everywhere and becuase of the Whipple calibration. Whipple spent many hours wind tunnel and durability resting this system on there calibration to make power and be safe. Whipple cal Aslo has the most extensive features no other system has with flight controls and guardian features (boost by gear) and much more. The Whipple is really low maintenance as well oil change in the SC at 100k. Just instal with calibration and drive and smile as the instant power and torque of the twin screw does its work. Many Whipple running at the track as well and making great times and MPH. The stage 2 makes around 670 to 700 whp on 93.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'd do Paxton because I can keep the bracing in my engine bay. That is where my mind is at.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I'd do Paxton because I can keep the bracing in my engine bay. That is where my mind is at.
Just to be clear the K brace is what offers the most stability up front and the strut brace offers very little. One would never notice without.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Don't you have to cut/remove the K-brace for all "top of engine" superchargers?

Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Don't you have to cut/remove the K-brace for all "top of engine" superchargers?
Only with Roush, Ford and TVS, The Whipple and Kenne Bell required no cutting of the K brace or timing gear cover.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Hmmmmmmm... well I still like the more linear power from a centri. Kenne Bell also has a free flying belt it seems like... little goofy.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Hmmmmmmm... well I still like the more linear power from a centri. Kenne Bell also has a free flying belt it seems like... little goofy.
No problems to each his own, but the Whipple power is very linear as its controlled by the foot or with boost by gear. You can select per gear how much power to reduce to avoid wheel spin. Not sure what you mean by "free flying belt" but the Whipples belt system is very nice and has not belt slip issue even with 6 rib belt.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I mean the KB doesn't seem to have like a belt guide between the SC pulley and the rest of the belt path on the engine so it seems like its just free flying in there. Looks wonky.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm pretty naive about superchargers. The way people describe them gets some getting used to. On another recent thread, it was mentioned the roots style would be better for a street driven car due to the way it supplies power.

How would your description of the centri units power being linear compare to that. In what situation is a linear power curve beneficial?

Just curious as I'm in the same boat as the OP, just trying to pick what's type is best for me.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Just to be clear the K brace is what offers the most stability up front and the strut brace offers very little. One would never notice without.
Just looking at it it would seem neither is very good without the other. Without the cross brace the K brace is just an open "v", but put the cross brace in and it's a closed triangle which is much more rigid.

OP
OP

Csb1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt
I feel as though for a street car the whipple wouldn't perform as well because of having to much torque on the crappy streets so would spin more and because Paxton is not instant boost it will allow for some grip but I believe the whipple will perform better on track with nice tires and good conditions

OP
OP

Csb1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt
But like I said I'm not too familiar I could be wrong that's why I want to figure out what to get

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Centri units don't seem to offer a burst of power off the line which, especially notorious with Whipples, requires you go out and buy yourself some $1500+ axles so you don't break those off. But you can control that down low power electronically and with your foot, as noted above. It is what most would consider the typical S/C experience.

I setup my Harley a lot like how a Centri unit theoretically affects our cars. Just mentioning for reference. I built it to a Stage III 103" relatively high compression setup with an aggressive "midrange cam" (etc., etc.). I'd could be taken off the line initially by bikes with work done and a more traditional "torque cam" that biased power at lower RPMs, but once we got moving, I ate them for breakfast including a lot of sport bikes that you wouldn't think a Dyna Street Bob should be able to drag. My bike was for like 30-rolls and highway pulls, not digs. I expect that same kind of feeling (granted, perhaps not actual in kind result... different in cars and this isn't a perfect comparison). But the Centri is the feeling of power coming and coming and coming vs. the more tranditional SC where the power being right there and sort of staying until it dies off. But you have to wait a second for it to come with a centri... relatively. It's more manageable and I believe, from a peak number perspective, offers more overall torque.

Dolsvt00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 5.0
Paxton is cheap, Whipple will make more torque ultimately the Whipple is really plug and play, as always Whipple has their shit together. Ive had 2 Kenne bell blowers, theres a reason that they put a ford racing sticker on the side of a whipple and not a kenne bell, reliability testing............

One of my KB blowers ate the coupler and I had it rebuilt by KB then not long after that it ate itself. The other while reliable was one ugly poorly designed hunk of billet. I swapped pulleys alot for race fuel and street driving, one time the cheap Allen bolt that holds the pulley on stripped and i had to weld a socket on it to get it off, and twice I had to replace leaking snout seals. Both times I had to deal with KB's customer service.......... Dealing with those guys made me want to suck start a shotgun.

That said I have a Paxton on my 15, I wanted to go turbo but I don't want to cut the car up or have miles of heat wrap on my junk. I wanted something easily reversible and at a reasonable price that i didn't have to take a chance and punch a stupid hole in the pan like some of my previous turbo setups.

I have experience with procharger too, and ultimately that stupid intake design and upgrade cost to get the kit right the way i want it with the bigger IC was too damn high priced for what you get.
Sponsored