HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
When I did Velocity Blue over-the-top stripes on my Oxford White GT, I had them paint the GT350R strut tower brace OW with Velocity Blue stripes to match the car. Now am thinking about painting the coil covers to match: OW with Velocity Blue letters.

I don't plan to do anything else under the hood except maybe painting some of the lettering.

Does OW coil covers with blue letters to match the stripes sound like the best combination? If not, what is?

RPI sells painted coil covers and tell me they can do Velocity Blue for the covers, so I assume they can do that color for the letters. I'm a little worried the covers won't be as smooth as I want. I'm looking for smooth as the paint on my sheet metal or my strut brace. Would like to hear from and see pics from anyone who has them (preferably in a lighter color). I see them on eBay as well, so would like to hear from anyone who went that route. Haven't confirmed if eBay sellers can do VB letters.

Forgive the dust under the hood. I took that picture right at the end of a 5,000 mile road trip and hadn't cleaned it yet.

Painted GT350R Strut Tower Brace.jpg
Sponsored

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
That looks good man, I like it. Engine is a little dirty though. Haha

Dsquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP LB
I went JLT for the painted coil covers and other engine bay pieces and they came out perfectly. OW w/ VB lettering would look awesome.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I went JLT for the painted coil covers and other engine bay pieces and they came out perfectly. OW w/ VB lettering would look awesome.
Thanks a lot! I wasn't aware of that option. Their pictures are clearer than RPIs and seem to be very smooth. I've contacted them to ask about Velocity Blue.

Given the strut bar picture above, do you think Velocity Blue with OW lettering or vice versa would look best. My first reaction was OW with VB letters but since the coil covers are outside of the center VB stripes on the bar, I think VB might be better with the white portion of the bar crossing over them. Plus, blue might show less dirt between cleaning than white.

Also, since JLT offers separate colors for the bar and the letters, maybe red for the bars since the interior is Redline? If not, what color for the bars?

Do you have any closeups of your JLT coil covers?

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I think the covers in white with blue letters would look best.

Your primary color is white with the accent blue, so the OCD in me says anything painted should follow suit.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I think the covers in white with blue letters would look best.

Your primary color is white with the accent blue, so the OCD in me says anything painted should follow suit.
Yeah that was my first thought (which are usually the best). But then I thought about the cross over contrast with the blue cover under the the white part of the brace. Also white on upper surfaces don't show much reflection. But then the covers are curved from side to side and on a 45 degree angle.

And my wife just pointed out that between full details, white covers could get a quick wipe ignoring the dark letters while that same quick wipe would leave white letters looking like $%^&.

One other thing, JLT actually includes 3 colors in the price. Normally that would be include one color for the letters and another for the bars. I'm going to ask if they can do OW covers with Velocity Blue bars and letters EXCEPT for the word FORD which would be race red (or any red really). Aside from me liking that look, it might tie in with the RedLine interior, not that you are likely to be seeing both at the same time.

p.s. JLT did say they can do Velocity Blue but there might be an extra charge for VB for the main color because they say its a 3 step paint. I know the major paint suppliers call the color Velocity Blue PEARL, yet Ford does not charge extra for the color like other 3 step paints. Is pearl, by definition, a 3 step process? I guess you can't count on Ford paint prices to make sense because Oxford White was an extra cost paint in the EU and Silver PP wheels were extra cost in the US but not in other markets they were available in.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Hey Hoosier, here's a photo from awhile back of JLT's work. I'd still say go OW w/ VB letters.
IMG_1123.JPG
Thanks. Your picture helps. And I'm definitely going JLT if they will do the combo I want. And I just found this: an OW car with the same brace I have and blue stripes painted on it. Only difference is the shade of blue for stripes and coil covers.

IMG_2139.JPG

Your picture says: make the coil covers body color. The other picture says: nothing "special" about blue coil covers under a white brace. Nice but not better than white coil covers under a white brace.

Based on all input, including my wife, I'm going with OW coil covers with VB letters and bars. Since JLT offers 3 colors (normally base color, letter color and bar color), I'm going to ask for just the word FORD to be in Race Red. Tie in to the RedLine interior.

After I have the JLTs and the factory coil covers are just laying around, I might try sanding them smooth, rattle canning them with VB touch up paint and putting white in the letters and bars.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Here they are from JLT:

WP_20181112_14_38_48_Rich__highres.longexp.jpg

WP_20181112_15_34_17_Rich__highres.flash.jpg

WP_20181112_15_35_57_Rich__highres.flash.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

JohnBoyNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Those turned out really nice. JLT does some good work!!

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Those turned out really nice. JLT does some good work!!
Definitely. They were one of two forum sponsors that would do Velocity Blue and of the pictures I saw, JLT appeared to have the smoothest finish, although some others looked good as well and pictures don't always tell the whole story.

I was also surprised that JLT offered opinions on things like VB on OW or vice versa. Many businesses shy away from that sort of things for the same reasons smart people don't take sides when friends break up. LoL

They offer a lot of custom painted parts. I think they do the strut braces too but I didn't even check into it since my painter threw in the strut tower paint job for cheap while doing the OTT stripes on the car. Plus I liked how my painter removed the plate and even filled the rivet (screw?) holes with metal (solder/weld/braze?) instead of bondo.

Jpol908

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 401A Ragtop
Here’s my ‘18 cover from JLT...
F263045E-2F1D-40D3-84AB-A3F2BCB494F6.jpeg

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score