Sponsored

Painted stripes vs stick on?

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
A buddy at work has a Challenger. It originally had matte black sticker stripes. They were damaged and he told me he's going to get painted stripes.

The painted stripes seem like they'd do better long term. Then again I'm not sure how paint and a clear coat would do on top of other paint/clear coat. But I have no personal experience with either.

What's the difference in appearance and longevity between painted on stripes and sticker stripes?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Weasel1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
With vinyl stripes, the life expectancy is less than paint theoretically. However the cost of doing painted stripes is far greater than vinyl. And with vinyl, they can be removed and you can reinstall a different color or width, style etc.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
With vinyl stripes, the life expectancy is less than paint theoretically. However the cost of doing painted stripes is far greater than vinyl. And with vinyl, they can be removed and you can reinstall a different color or width, style etc.
Can't paint over top of the paint? This gets back to my question about how a paint/clear coat on top of paint/clear coat works.

Thanks!

x_man586

Thank you Diatoms
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White Mustang GT m6
Go to the best body shop in your area and ask how it works. As long as it is prepped correctly it will last forever. So long as you take care of it.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Can't paint over top of the paint? This gets back to my question about how a paint/clear coat on top of paint/clear coat works.

Thanks!
Yes, you can paint stripes over the factory paint. That's what I had done. They scuff up the factory clear for the entire panel that will have stripes. For the best results they have to remove the bumper covers and everything attached to them. Likewise, anything attached to other panels that get stripes, so things like hood vents, antennas (which means getting behind the headliner in the interior). Then they lay down the stripes. Then they clear those panels and reattach everything.

As noted, it will be much more expensive than vinyl, but it was worth it for me. You have an unlimited choice of colors and there is no special care for the stripes. There are numerous threads about vinyl stripes that were damaged by birds, tree sap, the wrong wax, etc.. For things like rock chips, you can use touch up paint with painted stripes; with the vinyl, you live with it or replace the vinyl on the panel. On the down side, this method of painted stripes means they must be the same gloss as the panels the stripes are on. So, no matte, etc. (unless you want the whole panel matte).

But you better be sure you get the color right. If you think painting the stripes is expensive, think about having to do it more than once. I agonized over the color for months and changed my mind six times before pulling the trigger.

WP_20180917_14_56_08_cropped.jpg
WP_20180917_14_59_42_cropped.jpg

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro