Sponsored

Paddle Shifter Replacement

MixTape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard Green 2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost PP
I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I haven't been a huge fan of the extensions for the paddle shifters. I saw the new raptor has really nice ones, wonder if there'd be a way to mod the wheel to take them? The extensions always look like they will feel really bulky, plus the overall idea of a paddle shifter inside a paddle shifter just doesn't look all that great imo.

Am I the only one that wishes there was a better replacement for this?
Sponsored

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
Nope you are not - there have been many on here who asked about this many years ago in the 15- 16 release days. A couple folks on here were prototyping some and the development dropped off.

The issues were with the single little ass screw that holds it to the wheel and the plastic the housing and mechanism is made of.

I finally broke down and bought a pair of the aluminum add ons and milled the worthless top section off that you cant shift with so they are about an inch shorter.

Been thinking about ordering a couple and seeing if I cant work with a buddy who has a cnc to cut a new body and paddle from some stock.

I think there is a market for them - just need the time and learning curve to make them.

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I'm pretty sure you can shift with the tips. I've been able to shift from there. I use the CJPP ones so I can't comment from other sources, though they all look the same to me.

The looks is subject to the person. I can't say much there.

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
I have the CJPP paddles and on my 15 the top inch or so was unusable - I would hit that to shift and it would just bend the housing in the wheel instead of applying enough pressure on the switch to engage it. Thats why I milled the ends down - no more miss shifts when accidentally hitting that tip. They actually work great and look nice with that mod - will add pic in a minute!

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
Mounted in my 15
modpaddleafter.jpg

Sponsored

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
Question, my Paddle Shifter add ons were Red Anodized but the color has faded a bit they went on with 3M Tape so can I remove them ( how can I remove them ) without breaking the actual paddles and which ones should I get that won't discolor and stay nice and Red?

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Best way to get the paddles out is to take the wheel a part.

Red will fade faster than other colors. The color I have is silver and I've had it for almost 2 years.

Last edited:

TheycallmeCC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost, 3m Gloss Storm Grey
Bought a pair of red and still haven't installed them yet. Going to powder coat yellow, and thanks to this thread now I'm going to take off the tops too.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I drilled and tapped mine.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

Sponsored

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
Yes and definitely do what Ricky did there with drill and tap - I did that also and it adds a whole bunch of stability to it - especially is places like AZ where the tape gets hot as he double hockey sticks...

Another thing to think about if your paddle color is not what you want - wrap them...Thats what I did on mine in that pic. Just use a high quality vinyl so it doesnt fall apart.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
You can also have them hydrodipped but I don't know how well that stands up to the heat in places like AZ.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I bought mine and mocked them up a bunch of times and just don't like how they look or feel. If the paddles were fixed and didn't rotate with the steering these would make sense. But since the paddle moves with my hands/wheel these extensions arent needed. That's my personal conclusion anyways.

In the trash can they went.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
yeah or the type that Hurst used to make....

The stock ones are fine - i guess, I just wish the whole mechanism was metal...
Sponsored