P51 101RF vs PP1 rims

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
So I'm looking to buy these rims but I have a few questions to the people that have these on their car that previously had PP1's. Did you guys notice any difference in acceleration? These rims are like 21 to 22 lbs each versus the PP1's being in the mid 30's lbs. When going over uneven road can you tell a difference since these are 10 and 11 inch wide rims? Would like to get feedback from current P51 owners.

Thank you
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
They're not a great wheel IMHO. Spokes are too thin and not strong enough. They hold up ok for most people on the street, but I wouldn't (personally) risk it. There are plenty of wheels in the 24-25lb range with better robust designs. The M600 is almost the exact same design, but slightly thicker stronger spokes.

You're not likely to feel any acceleration difference with lighter wheels (car weights 3700 lbs - 30lbs - even rotating mass - is not much, and some of that weight is pretty close to the center of rotation). You will probably feel some suspension/ride comfort difference as the lighter wheels ride better over rough pavement. Lighter wheels are a good thing, just not a big factor for acceleration. Most of the benefits are at lower speeds where our cars have more torque than we can use anyway. That was my experience moving from stock PP1 wheels to 24lb wheels anyway, and I've run extremely lightweight wheels on other cars before as well.

OP
OP
Soulja4187

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
They're not a great wheel IMHO. Spokes are too thin and not strong enough. They hold up ok for most people on the street, but I wouldn't (personally) risk it. There are plenty of wheels in the 24-25lb range with better robust designs. The M600 is almost the exact same design, but slightly thicker stronger spokes.

You're not likely to feel any acceleration difference with lighter wheels (car weights 3700 lbs - 30lbs - even rotating mass - is not much, and some of that weight is pretty close to the center of rotation). You will probably feel some suspension/ride comfort difference as the lighter wheels ride better over rough pavement. Lighter wheels are a good thing, just not a big factor for acceleration. Most of the benefits are at lower speeds where our cars have more torque than we can use anyway. That was my experience moving from stock PP1 wheels to 24lb wheels anyway, and I've run extremely lightweight wheels on other cars before as well.
How do you know they arent great wheels? Where can I read these negative reviews/post?

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Acceleration no you probably won't notice. But as far as handling and/or nimbleness, you most definitely will. 10lbs of rotating mass on each corner is HUGE for handling.

OP
OP
Soulja4187

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)

There were some pictures/threads going around of the wheel spokes cracking/breaking
I search many websites and I was only able to find 2 failures and both were on track cars which I won't be doing. These failures happens about 2 years ago, could be a bad batch? As for as some saying to get other brands if you search hard enough you will find failures in all kind of rims, even the most expensive ones. Eventually I wi be adding a stage 2 supercharger and just enjoy my ride. I dont do street racing so there's no concern for me.

Black9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
There was a pic of a cracked Ford repop wheel someone posted a while ago just from normal road service and yes the couple of failures of P51’s were on track cars...I personally would not be afraid to run these on the street , if treated right ( avoid curbing, chuckholes) I don’t think you should fear them cracking,plus if it was a real issue would a company risk the liability?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
There was a pic of a cracked Ford repop wheel someone posted a while ago just from normal road service and yes the couple of failures of P51’s were on track cars...I personally would not be afraid to run these on the street , if treated right ( avoid curbing, chuckholes) I don’t think you should fear them cracking,plus if it was a real issue would a company risk the liability?
how many cracked wheels are we not hearing about? If you just look at the spokes you can see how thin they are. This isn’t a forged wheel, its a cast aluminum face. Thin and cast are not a good combination. Just trying to save someone some heartache here.
Sponsored