Other drivers expectations

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
No.

What other people think about my car means slightly less than 0 to me. I care about how I enjoy driving it, the fun of it.

Try feeling less, it's a great liberator.
Empathy (noticing what others think) and sympathy (caring what others think) are 2 different things.
Sponsored

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
When they get on my ass, I slow down. Hate those dickheads. I particularly like the ricers that gun their engines when they go past.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
When they get on my ass, I slow down. Hate those dickheads. I particularly like the ricers that gun their engines when they go past.
Yep I slow down and after awhile they get tired of being behind me then finally pass me.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I get people pulling on to the road ahead of me without enough room all the time. That's why I bought a dash cam. If I rear end some idiot, I want evidence that shows I wasn't the one being stupid.

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
I get people pulling on to the road ahead of me without enough room all the time. That's why I bought a dash cam. If I rear end some idiot, I want evidence that shows I wasn't the one being stupid.
I noticed this as well. Most of my driving is at night or early morning so the headlights are on. I'm not sure if it is because the car sits lower folks aren't seeing it or what. The headlights are bright enough where it shouldn't be an issue.

Between that and folks at traffic circles not yielding I'm becoming very protective with my driving. I think some folks don't expect the car to enter the circles as quickly as the car can and just figure I'll have to slow down at some point and they think they have time.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Empathy (noticing what others think) and sympathy (caring what others think) are 2 different things.
Sympathy is feeling compassion, sorrow, or pity for the hardships that another person encounters. Empathy is putting yourself in the shoes of another, really trying to understand their emotional state.

I'd suggest doing neither, when it comes to what others think of you car. It's really a waste of time, and also can detract from the awesome, fun experience of driving.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Nope, these days my cruising speed is well within the tolerance range of all but the strictest trooper. I save speed for the track
You know that about you, and I'm willing to take your word for it. The average 'other driver' who moves over for you has absolutely no idea that you're any different from the stereotype Cars & Coffee Mustang driver, let alone why.

Norm

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Sympathy is feeling compassion, sorrow, or pity for the hardships that another person encounters. Empathy is putting yourself in the shoes of another, really trying to understand their emotional state.

I'd suggest doing neither, when it comes to what others think of you car. It's really a waste of time, and also can detract from the awesome, fun experience of driving.
I was pointing out the difference between noticing how other drivers react and caring about how others react. OP was about noticing, you posted about caring.

Empathy is very important in both racing and safe driving. Beng able to read subtle cues makes the movement of other vehicles much more predictable.

OP
OP
Kaw8787

Kaw8787

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
18 ecoboost mustang
No.

What other people think about my car means slightly less than 0 to me. I care about how I enjoy driving it, the fun of it.

Try feeling less, it's a great liberator.
I’m not saying I care what other drivers think really. I could care less. It’s hard not to notice things though cause I have a habit of overly checking all my mirrors cause of my job.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
anyone ever feel like other motorist expect you to drive like a dick just because you’re in a mustang? Like if someone gets behind you and rides your ass cause they are expecting you to gun it at every light? And then when you’re doing some gas friendly driving they upset about it? Obviously I don’t know what they’re thinking, it’s just a feeling I get.
If they expect me to gun it at every light, their expectations will probably be met.

What I notice is that every driver is different, and most drivers don't have a high amount of patience or understanding of other drivers. If someone comes up close behind me, I typically get over and let them by at my first opportunity. If someone wants to race, it won't happen.

I think my driving is fine, but I'm aggressive and I realize the super non-aggressive types are probably annoyed by me. I do my best not to irritate others while still being myself on the road. I'm sure sometimes I irritate people. I know I often get irritated. When I'm in that situation I usually try to understand what the other person is thinking and sympathize with them. I think it helps me avoid getting into dangerous situations on the road.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I’m not saying I care what other drivers think really. I could care less. It’s hard not to notice things though cause I have a habit of overly checking all my mirrors cause of my job.
Driving rigs?

You're probably a good, safe driver, that's cool.

I promise 99.5% of other drivers don't know what your car is, don't care, and are just trying to get where they're going in a hurry, and you're in their way. That you're driving a Mustang means nothing. Other drivers do the same things regardless of what cars are around them.

There's a great perceptual issue, where some drivers that are passionate about their cars think other driver's behaviors is somehow about the car they are driving. It's not. People don't give a shit about their own car, much less yours, they don't care. Their phone, coffee, conversation, texts, etc., are far more important that what you're driving.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I was pointing out the difference between noticing how other drivers react and caring about how others react. OP was about noticing, you posted about caring.

Empathy is very important in both racing and safe driving. Beng able to read subtle cues makes the movement of other vehicles much more predictable.
Anticipation is key, yes, empathy, no. Empathy is about another person's emotional state, anticipation is about traffic, road conditions, the "subtle cues" you mentioned, and reading traffic far ahead to know the right thing to do in advance. And similar stuff that I assume happens on a track, although I haven't been.

In the end, removing emotion helps a lot. Being cold and calculating, with great awareness, is best. The only emotion involved should be great joy and satisfaction. A huge, shit-eating grin on your face from the enjoyment of your time behind the wheel.

My most irritating emotional experience behind the wheel is when some other moron ruins my behind-the-wheel fun and positivity.

I think we're saying the same things, just using different words.

OP
OP
Kaw8787

Kaw8787

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
18 ecoboost mustang
Yeah I drive a semi. And I am a safe driver. I got a natural good driving ability from my dad. And I drive a truck cause I’m not book smart and college isn’t for me. Especially the price tag. And the guy who said most people don’t care about their own car let alone mine, they only care about their coffe phone and texts, that’s a solid point. Maybe I’m over thinking stuff.

sicpuppy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2017 Challenger Hellcat
anyone ever feel like other motorist expect you to drive like a dick just because you’re in a mustang? Like if someone gets behind you and rides your ass cause they are expecting you to gun it at every light? And then when you’re doing some gas friendly driving they upset about it? Obviously I don’t know what they’re thinking, it’s just a feeling I get.
Not so much in my mustang. My hellcat is a different story. Everyone wants to see me gun it. Mostly out of interest over not seeing hellcats much. Some think they have something that will beat me. Usually it is a mustang. LOL.

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
No. What other people think about my car means slightly less than 0 to me. I care about how I enjoy driving it, the fun of it. Try feeling less, it's a great liberator.
BINGO!!!
Sponsored