Ordering vs Buying from Dealer

paul32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2016 Acura TLX
I'm looking to buy a new GT350 this spring, and since this would be my first time purchasing a new car I have some questions!

I've found a couple cars that fit my specs that are already at dealers in my area, but I've read that I should have the car thoroughly inspect if it's been sitting on the lot for a while. How would I go about this? Would the dealer actually let me take the car to some third party inspector, or would I have to bring them along?

It seems that most dealers are ordering cars with the Leather Seats instead of Recaros. Is that a common trend? Would I have to custom order to get around this?

Lastly, should I wait around for the spring (which I assume is the busiest season), or am I better off just buying now? I don't have a good sense of supply/demand on these cars.
Sponsored

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
I'm looking to buy a new GT350 this spring, and since this would be my first time purchasing a new car I have some questions!

I've found a couple cars that fit my specs that are already at dealers in my area, but I've read that I should have the car thoroughly inspect if it's been sitting on the lot for a while. How would I go about this? Would the dealer actually let me take the car to some third party inspector, or would I have to bring them along?

Don't worry about having the cars inspected by a third party. It's a new car with a warranty. I doubt a dealer would let you that anyway. Plus you are just sending a bad message to the dealer.

It seems that most dealers are ordering cars with the Leather Seats instead of Recaros. Is that a common trend? Would I have to custom order to get around this?

The only way around this is to order a car or keep looking for one that suits you on the lot. There are tons of 2019s out there for super deals. Why waste money on a new 2020? The Recaro seats aren't for everybody, especially if you are built comfortable. The regular sport seats with memory adjustment are way more comfortable and just as supportive.

Lastly, should I wait around for the spring (which I assume is the busiest season), or am I better off just buying now? I don't have a good sense of supply/demand on these cars.
IMO you are better off buying now. If I'm not mistaken they are not even building many of these right now during the winter months because of the tire issue. Last year when I talked to my dealer (about this time) they wouldn't get one until May if I built it.

Face76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Many 2016's were ordered with Recaros, including mine, and then the owners found out that the Recaros are very comfortable for some. Most dealers order leather trimmed seats so to be more attractive to more buyers.

I would buy from the dealers now since these cars are really moving slow now.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
I have never taken a new car to a third party before purchase and donā€™t know anyone who has ever done that. It comes with a warranty you know?

OP
OP

paul32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
I have never taken a new car to a third party before purchase and donā€™t know anyone who has ever done that. It comes with a warranty you know?
Yeah good point. I just read that advice elsewhere on this forum ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Sponsored

OP
OP

paul32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Many 2016's were ordered with Recaros, including mine, and then the owners found out that the Recaros are very comfortable for some. Most dealers order leather trimmed seats so to be more attractive to more buyers.

I would buy from the dealers now since these cars are really moving slow now.

Did you mean to say "Recaros are very *un*comfortable to some?

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
Recaro seats are very uncomfortable for larger people. Even before I got larger, they were uncomfortable for long rides. It's a very hard bolstered seat and confining. If you are thinly built, you might like them. They are also manual and if you like the ability to have the seat move back when you get out to make getting in and out easier, you will need the sport seats with memory.

Face76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
OP
OP

paul32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Recaro seats are very uncomfortable for larger people. Even before I got larger, they were uncomfortable for long rides. It's a very hard bolstered seat and confining. If you are thinly built, you might like them. They are also manual and if you like the ability to have the seat move back when you get out to make getting in and out easier, you will need the sport seats with memory.
Cool, this makes me feel a bit more confident in the leather seats. I'm not overweight, but a pretty broad and tall guy, and I want to be able to take it out on substantial road trips.

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,

Sponsored

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
I found what I wanted at a dealer and was able to skip the whole ordering process. Ordering takes to long, why wait when you can buy outright from a dealer that has stock. I flew to Las Vegas picked up my 350 and drove it back to Oregon all in less than a week. Iā€™m 6ā€™ 3ā€ 220 lbs Recaros are nice but if you donā€™t fit between the ā€œwing sidesā€ of the seats they could be super uncomfortable.

OP
OP

paul32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
How much of an impact on demand does the warmer weather have? There are 3 options at dealers in my immediate area that I really like, but if I pull the trigger now, the car will pretty much be sitting around for the next 2-3 months barring nice days here and there.

Obviously come March/April, I don't want to be stuck finding inventory that I like.

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
Cool, this makes me feel a bit more confident in the leather seats. I'm not overweight, but a pretty broad and tall guy, and I want to be able to take it out on substantial road trips.
The leather trimmed seats are also 2 position memory, heated and cooled. Being tall also, I like that they retract when the door is opened, making it easier to get out. This is helpful when you have less room to open the long coupe doors in a parking space or garage.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
How much of an impact on demand does the warmer weather have? There are 3 options at dealers in my immediate area that I really like, but if I pull the trigger now, the car will pretty much be sitting around for the next 2-3 months barring nice days here and there.

Obviously come March/April, I don't want to be stuck finding inventory that I like.
i was just in your position a couple weeks ago. Ended up buying from a dealer in Indiana and driving it home. Fortunately the weather was manageable with no snow/ice. I don't think you are going to get a better deal in the spring. I would find a couple that you like (coiors, spec, etc) and work them hard for a deal now. Mine is in storage, but time flies so fast that spring will be here before we know it. I wanted to get this out of the way now instead of scrambling around during the peak buying season for sports/specialty cars.
I purchased a 2019 with the leather seats and they are fantastic. I have sat in and driven the models with the recaros and they do really hug you in nicely if you are not wide in the hips, but the hassle of cranking the manual seat back and forth to get out combined with the weird tilted seating position (knees get higher than hips) made me decide to go with the leather seating. If this was a track toy, then yes the recaros might be the better seat option. I have had quite a few guys tell me that leather seats are fine on the track, especially with a upgraded harness. I plan on some long road trips so the cooling and comfort sold me.

OP
OP

paul32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
i was just in your position a couple weeks ago. Ended up buying from a dealer in Indiana and driving it home. Fortunately the weather was manageable with no snow/ice. I don't think you are going to get a better deal in the spring. I would find a couple that you like (coiors, spec, etc) and work them hard for a deal now. Mine is in storage, but time flies so fast that spring will be here before we know it. I wanted to get this out of the way now instead of scrambling around during the peak buying season for sports/specialty cars.
I purchased a 2019 with the leather seats and they are fantastic. I have sat in and driven the models with the recaros and they do really hug you in nicely if you are not wide in the hips, but the hassle of cranking the manual seat back and forth to get out combined with the weird tilted seating position (knees get higher than hips) made me decide to go with the leather seating. If this was a track toy, then yes the recaros might be the better seat option. I have had quite a few guys tell me that leather seats are fine on the track, especially with a upgraded harness. I plan on some long road trips so the cooling and comfort sold me.
Excellent, thanks for the advice. When you say "deal", did you end up getting them to knock off money from the sticker price, or just get it closer to the MSRP? I don't have a good sense of how much people are taking this off the lot for.
Sponsored