On Oahu for vacation

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I was in Maui almost 2 years ago. Agreed, everywhere!

Too bad the majority of parking spots everywhere arethisclosetogether. I rented a small SUV since Johnny Bravo at the rental car place lied to me and told me I needed an SUV to make it up the road to Hana.
Exact opposite! Smaller the better on that tight winding road.
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I was in Maui almost 2 years ago. Agreed, everywhere!

Too bad the majority of parking spots everywhere arethisclosetogether. I rented a small SUV since Johnny Bravo at the rental car place lied to me and told me I needed an SUV to make it up the road to Hana.
Exact opposite! Smaller the better on that tight winding road.
The last time I was there, my coworkers all went to Maui for the weekend (I stayed back in Oahu), and drove the Road to Hana, all hungover, in a 15 passenger van. I've never been happier to be on a different island than people I'm generally friendly with.

JR

Daytona Coupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2017 Explorer Sport, Ducati Diavel
If you really want a good laugh - try to see how many Toyota Tacomas you can count in between your hotel and wherever you're going. It is insane how many you will see.

OP
OP

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
Yeah, there were a lot of those as well. A lot of abandoned or stolen and stripped cars as well. .

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
Yeah, there were a lot of those as well. A lot of abandoned or stolen and stripped cars as well. .
Shithole. Hawaii in general is o.k. to visit but not live.

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I wasn't there for work, I certainly wouldn't be in Oahu. The next time I go out there, I'll do my two week work trip, then have my family come meet me on Kauai or the Big Island. After spending 7 weeks there, I'm tired of Oahu.

JR

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
If I wasn't there for work, I certainly wouldn't be in Oahu. The next time I go out there, I'll do my two week work trip, then have my family come meet me on Kauai or the Big Island. After spending 7 weeks there, I'm tired of Oahu.

JR
Try 7 years.

Hence the shithole comment.:thumbsup:

sunburned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 WK2
There are a ton where I live too. Every time I'm in downtown St. Augustine and see a silver non-GT Mustang convertible, I immediately know it's a rental and the drivers are tourists haha. I'm sure there are other colors but they mostly seem to be silver for some reason.

I'm sure there are plenty of rental GT convertibles too, just harder to spot out. The only time I actually knew I was looking at one was when I was at the Enterprise next to my dealer waiting on a loaner while my car was getting worked on. An older foreign couple came in to pick up their rental and it ended up being a white '18 GT convertible. It was pretty cool to see how excited they were when they got in and drove away.
Went down to the Tampa area a year or two ago and booked a Mustang convertible for the weekend just as a splurge. When we got there, the desk jockey asked if we wanted to upgrade to a brand new GT convertible they just got in. I couldn't say yes fast enough. It was a '17, but still fun as hell for a rental. I think we put about 400 miles on it over 2-3 days.

Got another Mustang rental in LA this past winter, but this time it was an '18 ecoboost. Loved the power that thing had, but the 10 speed was just annoying with so many gears to choose from.

Sponsored

Lionorion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Family minivan (for now)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m sorry, but I’ve never heard anyone use that term to describe an island in the State of Hawaii.

Pëlë is powerful and beautiful, not a shithole. Maholo brah

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I will honestly say, when I went to Maui, it was the first time I ever have been to a place where I said to myself, yea, I'll give up everything and start over if I could live here.
Not sure if I would have that same attitude if I was there for 7 weeks or not staying in the resort area. I did get the vibe that outside of the resort areas that we were not welcomed. I wasn't there to tell people how to live, just dumping a whole lot of cash to try out local restaurants and give money to those making a living off tourists.

Got yelled at coming home at dark by a local on the road to Hana. Screamed at me to dim my headlights. They already were. Just told him to Eff off, they are on dim, dip shit. As tough guy drove around in his Toyota pickup with a damned light bar on the front of it lit up.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Daytona Coupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2017 Explorer Sport, Ducati Diavel
I will honestly say, when I went to Maui, it was the first time I ever have been to a place where I said to myself, yea, I'll give up everything and start over if I could live here.
Not sure if I would have that same attitude if I was there for 7 weeks or not staying in the resort area. I did get the vibe that outside of the resort areas that we were not welcomed. I wasn't there to tell people how to live, just dumping a whole lot of cash to try out local restaurants and give money to those making a living off tourists.

I was the same way and I moved there when a job opportunity popped up. I was there for 9 months and ended up moving back for other reasons, but it is definitely a different situation living there every day than it is when you are on vacation. I still like it, and wouldn't mind moving back under the right circumstances, but day to day, it isn't all rainbows and shakas every day. Once you get to know some locals, many are grumpy that the cost of living is so high and the options for most anything are low. Most jobs don't pay well enough to live there either.

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
I’m sorry, but I’ve never heard anyone use that term to describe an island in the State of Hawaii.

Pëlë is powerful and beautiful, not a shithole. Maholo brah
The people/government make it a shithole.
Sponsored