Sponsored

Oil Udder? No more plastic grocery bag for our oil filter changes?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Going back to the original point, the plastic gripper might work with either version of the GT350 filter - the main issue I see is the confined space you have to work in and the relatively steep angle the filter is positioned at. If it did work, though, it would be handy.

The reason I like the idea is that I use a simpler version of this - a round Rubbermaid container with a lid - on the 3.5 liter Explorer and it works great. It's easier because the filter on the V6 hangs straight down. Break it loose, put the container over it and as the filter unscrews, oil collects in the container and when the filter drops free, I put the lid on and get it out of the way while I put the new filter on. I have a drain valve on the sump so I can change the oil on the Explorer without using a drain pan at all.
Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Use Aluminum Foil. Get a big sheet and form it up around the filter housing and down past the splash guard/frame/steering rack etc. The foil will stay in place, and hold its shape to make a ramp of sorts for the oil to travel down without getting a drop on anything.

RRM350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Use Aluminum Foil. Get a big sheet and form it up around the filter housing and down past the splash guard/frame/steering rack etc. The foil will stay in place, and hold its shape to make a ramp of sorts for the oil to travel down without getting a drop on anything.
I just use a gallon ziploc bag, a wrench fits on it if you want, but I loosen the filter cup and then put the bag up, you can control the flow easily and the bag will hold all it needs, it's easy to keep the lip of the bag in a way you don't spill a drop

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I get ZERO kick-backs, but this GT350 specific 3D printed funnel from @pilotgore is so good, I had to let my Ford mechanic use it while it is still in warranty.

3D Printed Oil Filler Funnel | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com
Thanks for the shout out! I personally think itā€™s the best thing on the planet for oil changes but Iā€™m a little biased :)

Heres a video I made showing the operation of the 3D printed gear:

Cost is $110 for the set including shipping, and I offer a money back guarantee if you donā€™t find it absolutely awesome. 500+ sets sold in the last two years and I currently have a 1-2 week printing queue/backlog between gt350ā€™s, gt500ā€™s, and funnels for every other ford on the market.

Edit to add: I show how the oil filter guide works starting around 4:25 in the video.

IMG_0223.jpeg

IMG_0222.jpeg

IMG_0289.jpeg

IMG_0291.jpeg

IMG_0290.jpeg

Sponsored

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Is there a reason you don't drain the oil plug first and then remove the filter? Wouldn't you get less leakage when removing the filter if you reversed your process?

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Is there a reason you don't drain the oil plug first and then remove the filter? Wouldn't you get less leakage when removing the filter if you reversed your process?
Due to the downward angle of the oil filter housing, the oil contained inside of the housing will never drain out through the oil pan drain plug no matter how long itā€™s removed.

I typically remove the oil plug first and let it drain while moving onto the oil filter, but sometimes I take care of the oil filter first. The result is the same no matter which you start with.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Due to the downward angle of the oil filter housing, the oil contained inside of the housing will never drain out through the oil pan drain plug no matter how long itā€™s removed.

I typically remove the oil plug first and let it drain while moving onto the oil filter, but sometimes I take care of the oil filter first. The result is the same no matter which you start with.
In some cars, BMW's for sure, you remove the filter first. When you break the seal, air gets in and the oil in the filter housing and the oilways drains back into the sump. The filter housing is pretty empty once you take the lid off and pull the cartridge out. I would expect a similar situation would happen in any engine. Once you break the filter seal, any oil that can comes out around the filter and the rest drains back into the sump.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Time to get a 3D printer, that's cool ;)

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Thought you told me it broke when he used it :question:
It did break unfortunately the first time the mechanic tried to use it. His was probably the 30ā€™th one off the printer (out of 500 or so that have been made now.) I suspect it was a very specific printing flaw that was a one off to his filter guide which caused the break. Just in case the printing error wasnā€™t to blame, I increased the amount of plastic used to print each of the pieces by 50% (costing me $7 more per set In fact.) Ever since that one break, the oil filter guide and funnels are printed 100% solid with no ā€œinfill.ā€

@dpAtlanta ā€˜s is the ONLY one that has ever broken for any reason. I changed the way it was printed to make it more robust to gaurentee it would never happen again, and then sent him a replacement at no cost because everything I make I fully warranty as long as I still have a 3D printer. I stand by my gear with a complete money back guarantee, and to date not a single person has requested a refund.

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
I've performed ~400 oil changes over the past 50 years. I've gotten along just fine with:
1) Simple $2 funnel and $5 drain pan.
2) A roll of paper towels.
3) Simple Green/APC.
4) Chunk of aluminum foil (need for mustang only).
5) Filter wrench of some type.
6) Latex/Nitrile gloves.
7) A $150 floor jack.
8) Two jack stands for $40.
9) Sockets & wrenches for $100.

I don't understand why people spend all the extra money on these gimmicks. They might work OK, but it's just something else you have to clean and store. In the end you're still throwing the same amount of oil soaked items in the trash.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
and then sent him a replacement at no cost because everything I make I fully warranty as long as I still have a 3D printer
The replacement was hand delivered from Indiana to Georgia... now that's customer service...!!!
The replacement is very robust.

HAND DELIVERY DISCLAIMER
I believe he was already in the area... your results may vary.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
The replacement was hand delivered from Indiana to Georgia... now that's customer service...!!!
The replacement is very robust.

HAND DELIVERY DISCLAIMER
I believe he was already in the area... your results may vary.
What can I say, I take customer service seriously!

ArnoldDonner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Arnold
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Thanks for the suggestion! I haven't tried it, but I can see how it would save you from drilling a drain hole and dealing with potential spills. But have you ever considered using paper grocery store bags? They can be a handy alternative for catching oil during filter changes, and they're often more eco-friendly. Let me know what you think.
Sponsored

Last edited: