Sponsored

Oil separators / catch cans

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
The separators act as a return back into the engine when not running.
This lessens oil usage and keeps your manifold clean
Sorry, I don't get it. What exactly are they doing that the stock set up doesn't in that case?
Sponsored

w0rt3x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT Fastback Manual Ruby Red
Sorry, I don't get it. What exactly are they doing that the stock set up doesn't in that case?
The stock setup lets oil get back into your manifold, the oil separator prevents it.

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get that's how a normal one works but I'm referring to the Streetfighter set up which puts the oil back so I don't get what it actually does that's an advantage over the stock set up.

noboot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Saf
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT
I get that's how a normal one works but I'm referring to the Streetfighter set up which puts the oil back so I don't get what it actually does that's an advantage over the stock set up.
I think their gimmick (for lack of a better word) is that it cleans/filters the oil when it gets into the catch can and then it goes back into the engine thus saving you top ups between scheduled oil changes (services) but what I want to know is can they guarantee it 100% cleans the oil of any crap and metal particles before the said filtered oil in the catch can goes back into the engine. This would IMO be the best set up if the filter inside did the job intended so you don't get shit going back into your engine.

Then you have to ask how often the filter in the catch can needs to be cleaned or changed.

Last edited:

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
I think their gimmick (for lack of a better word) is that it cleans/filters the oil when it gets into the catch can and then it goes back into the engine thus saving you top ups between scheduled oil changes (services) but what I want to know is can they guarantee it 100% cleans the oil of any crap and metal particles before the said filtered oil in the catch can goes back into the engine. This would IMO be the best set up if the filter inside did the job intended so you don't get shit going back into your engine.

Then you have to ask how often the filter in the catch can needs to be cleaned or changed.
All engines have an oil filter for this purpose.

Any oil captured by a catch can (of any variety) won't have brought any 'crap' or metal particles with it. Catch cans are only to prevent oil becoming part of the air / fuel combustion mixture in stock set ups.

Sponsored

Streetfighter Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.streetfighter.net.au
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang

To better explain.
The Streetfighter oil separators separate the oil from the PC air( Positive crankcase ) entering your intake system and eventually inlet manifold and valves. On supercharged engines this oil also fouls the intercooler .
On the 5.0 Coyote engine this is necessary due to the excessive amount of oil the engine breathes.
The oil is captured in the separators cans by a specially designed Uni-Filter designed to do so. This allows your engine to breath clean filtered therefore keeping the intake system clean.
When the engine is not running the captured oil drains back from the separator filter into your engine.
The filters only need cleaning / servicing periodically when you car is serviced. We recommend when you have your car serviced by your dealer / mechanic approx every 7,500 km.
You the owner can fit and forget.
If required, Uni-filters are inexpensive approx $5 (2 needed).

Streetfighter Oil seperators

-Kit includes all necessary items
-fit and forget
-easy fit
-Separator have inbuilt PCV ( Positive crankcase valve)
-100% Australian made
-Keeps engine intake system clean from excess oil
-Australia wide delivery overnight

Happy to explain on any further questions..
l

Streatfighter%20Oil%20Separators%20Filters%20MKII_zps7ihpp9pl.jpg

Last edited:

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for clearing it up (though the fit and forget claim seems to be a stretch). Interesting idea but I think I'd rather remove that contaminated oil from the system though so I'll stick with catch cans.

noboot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Saf
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT
Thanks for clearing it up (though the fit and forget claim seems to be a stretch). Interesting idea but I think I'd rather remove that contaminated oil from the system though so I'll stick with catch cans.
I'm hoping the experts will shed some light if we get side tracked or off topic but if the filter inside the Streetfighter one does it's job then really the oil that goes back into the engine should be free from contamination right? If so then no need to worry I would imagine.

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe but removing the oil is a definite guarantee of any contaminants not being put back and whether you empty the oil or clean the filter there's not much difference in maintenance IMO (in fact cleaning the filter would be a bigger PITA IMO).

As I said interesting idea and implementation but I'll take the route of a catch can and never wonder if it's really working.

Sponsored

Streetfighter Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.streetfighter.net.au
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang
I'm hoping the experts will shed some light if we get side tracked or off topic but if the filter inside the Streetfighter one does it's job then really the oil that goes back into the engine should be free from contamination right? If so then no need to worry I would imagine.

Originally Posted by apsilon
Maybe but removing the oil is a definite guarantee of any contaminants not being put back and whether you empty the oil or clean the filter there's not much difference in maintenance IMO (in fact cleaning the filter would be a bigger PITA IMO).

As I said interesting idea and implementation but I'll take the route of a catch can and never wonder if it's really working.
The oil that is caught in the separator is not contaminated oil in any way.

It is the same oil as the other 8.5 litres in your sump that has been filterd by the engine oil filter and is being pumped and suspended in air to all areas of the motor.
The engine oil filter is responsible for filtering contaminants therfore maintaining clean oil. The Streetfighter separators catches this clean oil suspended in air , separates it and prevents it from being transferred further into your intake system.
All this oil including the caught oil in the separator then returns to your sump as normal once the engine is not running. There is no difference.
To remove this oil , is simply removing oil from your sump prematurely. Only scheduled oil and engine oil filter changes are required to maintain clean fresh oil.
The only catch can that has contaminated oil is the engine oil filter. You would be far better advised to drain/ replace the engine oil filter every 1000km if you a really concerned with contaminated oil.

Streetfighter separators have been tried and tested on the 5.0 coyote engine for over 6 years.
(Australian supercharged FG/FGX Falcon.) This is the same 5.0 as the Mustang, however supercharged. The supercharged 5.0 moves much more oil than the n/a Mustang and the Streetfighter separators are a vital component in keeping the manifold clean.
The seperator filters are only cleaned/replaced when vehicle servicing by your mechanic. This means fit and forget for the vehicle owner as the separators self drain.

The Streetfighter separators can also work as catch cans by utilisng our catch can fitment valve. This however creates a regular need to manually drain the catch can and top up the engine regularly, They are however best utilized when fitted to self drain back automatically and retain the oil in the engine.

Hope this explains better.

Last edited:

AussieGT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Ford Everest, Ford courier and soon to be GT500
using some grey matter and as little as it is, my understanding of a catch can is to minimize the oil that gets redirected into the airflow which ultimately ends up in combustion. Lubrication oil isn't designed to be used a combustible in high performance engines however that said, two strokes use oil in the fuel for just that purpose - lubrication. I'm certain this is for environmental purposes ultimately so as oil droplets don't accumulate in the environment as a liquid through a breather but burnt into a carbon and dispersed into the atmosphere. You choose what's best I guess. for me I'd imagine that there would be less smoke perhaps using a catch can and that would be towards the latter half of the engines life due to wear without a can and oil accumulation within the manifold. Thoughts?

50ALM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV4 Cruiser, S650 allocated, waiting...
Worth watching to the end.

Sponsored