Oil leak!

AndyBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt, Honda Integra Type R( Acura ) DC2
Very disappointed to have developed a leak after just 2300 miles. Booked in for next week and unhappy at a return to the garage for remedy. Surely unusual on a brand new one? Otherwise very happy with my Bullitt.
Sponsored

jonny10buds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt, 1972 Lincoln Continental MkIV, 2010 Honda Accord (daily driver)
Very disappointed to have developed a leak after just 2300 miles. Booked in for next week and unhappy at a return to the garage for remedy. Surely unusual on a brand new one? Otherwise very happy with my Bullitt.
Most of these oil leaks seem to be nothing more than a loose filter, hopefully that’s all it is

OP
OP
AndyBullitt

AndyBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully so jonny….I'll soon find out. Just don't like it idle on the drive. Thanks for the reassurance.
Another question if I may...…...how do you get the dashboard onto the mpg setting. I had it when it was delivered, but was fiddling with the settings and now can't find it again?

jonny10buds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt, 1972 Lincoln Continental MkIV, 2010 Honda Accord (daily driver)
I can't remember Andy, I sold mine last month and pick my new one up on Friday hopefully, it's not the most intuitive of systems

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
MPG settings are under the 'settings' steering wheel button, which is the one with the 2 gears on it. And yes, it's not convenient to have a separate menu for that... which does NOT revert back to the virtual gauges, so you have to go into the pony menu after that. It's distracting, and potentially dangerous. But it was stupid IMO putting tire pressures on the MPG menu, rather than the pony one. Oh well.

On the oil leak, hopefully it's just the filter. Very easy to check man; just put a towel or cardboard in front of the front left tire, and reach with your hand to the right of the oil filter 'flap'. You can easily reach the oil filter without even touching the front tire. If it's oily, it'd be great news. Clean it, and then tighten it; you have all the leverage you need for that in that position. And you can avoid having to take car to dealer. But if you put the car on ramps, you could clean everything perfectly that way. I'd never take my car to a dealer unless it was a real problem, but I'm probably in the minority :). Hope this helps.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AndyBullitt

AndyBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys....will get on to that and see if that's the problem. Will find the mpg setting as well :)

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Hopefully so jonny….I'll soon find out. Just don't like it idle on the drive. Thanks for the reassurance.
Another question if I may...…...how do you get the dashboard onto the mpg setting. I had it when it was delivered, but was fiddling with the settings and now can't find it again?
Keep us posted on the source for the leak. Hopefully is just the filter. Where is it dripping from and are you sure it is engine oil and not trans or other fluid?

The MPG is in one of the menu's accessed by the steering wheel button with the gear. It is the lower button closest to the center of the wheel. Pressing this button brings up a menu of options you scroll through. One of them, I forget what it is called has a series of displays like instant fuel mileage, average for trips, tire pressure, etc.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
MPG settings are under the 'settings' steering wheel button, which is the one with the 2 gears on it. And yes, it's not convenient to have a separate menu for that... which does NOT revert back to the virtual gauges, so you have to go into the pony menu after that. It's distracting, and potentially dangerous. But it was stupid IMO putting tire pressures on the MPG menu, rather than the pony one. Oh well.

On the oil leak, hopefully it's just the filter. Very easy to check man; just put a towel or cardboard in front of the front left tire, and reach with your hand to the right of the oil filter 'flap'. You can easily reach the oil filter without even touching the front tire. If it's oily, it'd be great news. Clean it, and then tighten it; you have all the leverage you need for that in that position. And you can avoid having to take car to dealer. But if you put the car on ramps, you could clean everything perfectly that way. I'd never take my car to a dealer unless it was a real problem, but I'm probably in the minority :). Hope this helps.
I never bring my vehicles to a dealer unless it is a warranty issue, or something I can't do myself ike computer update, recall, etc. My Ford dealer keeps calling me asking 'when I am going to take advantage of my complimentary service' I tell them NEVER......

My Tundra had that Toyota care thing with 2 years 24K miles, and I used that, only because I know the Service manager, and it came back the first time with the oil filler cap missing. I did a level check and visual check before leaving. The second time at 20K, they put the cap on, but it was 2 quarts low, and they didn't change the oil filter (I put a small piece of painters tape on the housing). There was no 'excuse' for the filler cap or filter but the 'excuse' for the oil, was that the tech used an old manual for the oil change specs, and it called for 8 quarts, where the 2017 called for 10.

When I asked 'don't you bother to check the level with the dipstick' I got the blank stare.....

I hate dealers.....

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks guys....will get on to that and see if that's the problem. Will find the mpg setting as well :)

You did not get a user manual with the car? 2 places found, hard copy top of glove compartment, PDF on line .

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma

Sponsored

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
FWIW I try to deal with Ford/Lincoln dealers. I find the Lincoln shops give a better level of service and the techs seem to be better. It's no guarantee, but that and I make an effort to be super polite, friendly and reasonable even when pointing out a problem means touch wood I haven't had an issue with silly mistakes.

The one time I used a local for dealer for warranty work (not the mustang) the underbelly pan/shield was missing 2 fasteners and was flapping in the wind, the side mirror auto dimming stopped working from a bent pin and there was oil all over the exhaust manifold, turbo and flexi couplings that 10 seconds with a brake cleaner and rag would have sorted.

OP
OP
AndyBullitt

AndyBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
You did not get a user manual with the car? 2 places found, hard copy top of glove compartment, PDF on line .
:thumbsup:
Thanks Rapid Red did look there but was looking in the wrong section

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Mine wasn't loose when I changed the oil at 1,128 miles, but wasn't tight at all, being able to remove it by hand. Not good. It'd have become loose for sure if I waited 5K miles. I tightened it as I always do when I changed the oil, and it's still tight after 1,500 miles, so it definitely was an installation issue IMO, for some weird reason. The same identical filter was tight as hell on the F-150, like all factory filters except this one.
Sponsored