oil ford 2.3 opinions

Alexfino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Mustang ecoboost 2.3 sportback
Hello friends, I have a 2.3 auto ecoboost and I would like to know which is the best oil for the engine and gearbox.

129418A5-C148-418C-8D9B-5FE6B85E66FF.png
80C82CD7-C1F7-4F6F-9ADE-28C3D93EE025.jpeg
Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

Just so you're aware, Ford does not prescribe the use of 5W20 in the Ecoboost engine in the U.S., so I don't know why it would be recommended in any other country. What does your owner's manual say?

OP
OP
Alexfino

Alexfino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Just so you're aware, Ford does not prescribe the use of 5W20 in the Ecoboost engine in the U.S., so I don't know why it would be recommended in any other country. What does your owner's manual say?
yes I already know, that's why I'm looking for that oil if anyone of you knows

MakoShark

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2.3 EcoBoost Fastback
Ford Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 really is a good one and is also recommended oil if you look it up in your owners manual. I personally use Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 as I find it to be the only one that outperforms Castrol Magnatec. Another good one is Penzoil (Ford partnered and uses Penzoil also for race applications). Everything you need to know is, choose motor oil that corresponds with Ford's Specifications and you are good.

OP
OP
Alexfino

Alexfino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Ford Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 really is a good one and is also recommended oil if you look it up in your owners manual. I personally use Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 as I find it to be the only one that outperforms Castrol Magnatec. Another good one is Penzoil (Ford partnered and uses Penzoil also for race applications). Everything you need to know is, choose motor oil that corresponds with Ford's Specifications and you are good.
Thx u bro

Sponsored

MakoShark

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2.3 EcoBoost Fastback
Thx u bro
You are welcome. There are also threads on this forum, where oils have been discussed to the last possible argument, so you may want to use search bar look them up. There are lot of useful informations :) But if your car is EU-Spec like mine, Castol Magnatec 5W-30, Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 and Penzoil 5W-30 will work the best for you :)

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I forget the name of the oil brand, but I put it in my gearbox and no regrets. I think it was purple something. It floats my mind. Not royal purple, any help?

Reap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harald
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mustang 2017 Mustang
You might want to try out the different oils that are specified for your car and see which one works better for you. Some engines just seem to run better with a particular brand of oil.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Pennzoil Ultimate synthetic 5W-30 once a year (5,000 miles) 🙄

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I know there are a lot of people who will only buy brand name oils or even just a specific brand of oil. I've always been more concerned with the oil meeting the required specs than buying a name brand.
For the last several years I've been using Wal-Mart's house brand of oil. It's been doing just fine in all my vehicles. I've run it in vehicles with as few as 20k miles to ones over 200k miles. None of them burn or use any oil.
To me, changing the oil at the recommended intervals is more important than the brand used. The last time I sent my Mustang oil in for analysis it came back fine - except for the trace elements indicating it was burning coolant. But that's a whole different issue.
Last week I bought a 5 gallon jug or Amazon Basics oil to put in my Edge with 198k on the clock. It meets Ford's specs so I expect it will do fine as well. Interestingly enough I noticed that it has an SN Plus rating which is apparently a newish (2018) spec for direct injected/ turbocharged engines.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
I have been an ASE master tech for 50 years and of the old skool mentality that oil is cheap insurance to keep your engine living a long healthy life. I have never gone past 4000-mile change intervals at most and generally change at 3000 miles. I have never had an engine failure in those 50 years from oil maintenance intervals.

So, my question for those that run the so-called top tier oils that tout 15 to 25.000 mile changes intervals do you actually leave that oil in for 25,000 miles between changes. If so then do you not realize that if you only drive the vehicle on short trips where the engine never fully reaches operating temps for a minimum of at least 1 hours time or longer you are not fully evaporating all the condensed moisture from the oil and inside the engine. Then that moisture start to form acids and corrosive slug inside the engine that just gets worse and worse with subsequential short trips like the weekend cruise warrior. So if you use the top tier long mileage oil and change it every 5000 miles you are just wasting your dollars when the average name brand oil will serve the same purpose at less than half the cost if changed every 3000 miles.

I use manufacture spec oil and change it every 3000 miles along with a new filter. My bikes get oil changes every 1500 to 2000 miles but then they are both air cooled and rode very hard.

Just cannot bring myself to leave oil in past a very maximum of 5000 miles ever.

BD
Sponsored