Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
So I ordered a case of gallons of Amsoil and two Femco drain plugs for our cars, both on 6/14. Amsoil arrived yesterday. No peep out of Femco, other than order confirmation email. So as I feared, ordering directly from their site saved money than over the phone with Amarillo, but it seems to have dropped into a black hole. Maybe we are all conditioned to Amazon response times.

Also, the US phone number listed on the Femco site always picks up with a British-accent greeting to leave a message.
Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Well guess what? Wifey didn't tell me but the Femco parts also arrived on the same day as the Amsoil, 6/16. Just three days from Holland via DHL for $10!

Bottom line is the bottom line is cheaper ordering through the www.drainplug.com website.

Here is a photo of the packaged parts. Wife's TL shares same drain tube as the Mustang plug.
20160617_173118 - 800x600.jpg

Last edited:

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
I have the fumoto valve now, I may eventually switch to the Femco since it appears that it will not really extend below the oil pan at all on the Mustang.

My car gets used a little harder than most and I've scraped the belly a couple times when we've ended up on dirt roads.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Here is a photo of the packaged parts. Wife's TL shares same drain tube as the Mustang plug.
I can't see a part number in those pics. Can you measure the length of the threads that go into the pan. Should be 9mm if its part#7090010153. I'm asking because its hard to be sure from the pic BUT the threads look to be longer than that on both valves based on visual comparison to the height of the part outside the pan.

Sponsored

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Would love to see pictures installed of both brands of drain plugs!

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
While it wasn't a pic of the drain itself is is in there. This is the Fumoto "short" valve.

GTtreefiddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
I haven't looked - which way does the drain plug come out for the 5.0? Perpendicular or parallel to the ground?

I have the nipple version for my Mazda but it's parallel to the ground so I don't lose any additional clearance.

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
I haven't looked - which way does the drain plug come out for the 5.0? Perpendicular or parallel to the ground?

I have the nipple version for my Mazda but it's parallel to the ground so I don't lose any additional clearance.
Well it's in the picture of the post just before yours. It comes out at a little less than a 45 degree angle.

Sponsored
OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
A picture of the longer Fumoto has been posted.

Here is a picture of the Femco (compact version) installed in my 5.0. It's dust cap extends about 1/8-1/4 inch more than the factory drain plug which has a large head.
WP_20160628_12_51_30_Pro.jpg
WP_20160628_12_47_16_Pro.jpg

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
For anyone who doesn't know, threaded parts have torque limits which are not necessarily the same as what a vehicle service manual would spec for tightening. My understanding is the Ford service manual calls for 18 ft-lbs for the factory drain plug. That 18 ft-lbs represents the optimum torque for the weakest of the two components: the oil pan and its threads and the factory drain plug and its threads.

For parts that can be used in multiple scenarios, the torque numbers for said part represents its strength alone. The manufacturer has no idea what you might be screwing their part into. Could be titanium or plastic. So a torque number for those parts represent a maximum for that part with no consideration for a maximum for the part its threaded into.

So make sure when installing a part such as a drain valve that you use the lower of the torque recommendations for each component.

In the case of these valves, I believe Ford says 18 ft-lbs for the factory drain-plug/pan. Femco calls for 12 ft-lbs for this valve. So 12 ft-lbs is what you should torque the Femco valve to, not 18.

I'm mentioning this for more than just educational purposes.

My Femco valve container incorrectly listed the torque rating at 25 ft-lbs, more than double what it should be. I called and Femco confirmed it was a misprint. I only caught it because I have an identical valve (manufactured by NoSpill under Femco license) from a few years ago that listed 12 ft-lbs.

So if using the lessor published torque specs of the factory drain and the valve, I would have incorrectly installed the Femco with 18 ft-lbs which is 50% greater than it's actual torque rating.

These valves (from Fumoto or Femco) are made of brass. Using 50% higher torque (18 instead of 12 ft-lbs) would be a bad idea because you could break the valve. Obviously since the oil pan can take 18 ft-lbs, it would still be safe, but would be a bummer to have to replace a valve even if they covered it under warranty because the torque was misprinted.

Bottom line, if you buy a Femco use 12 ft-lbs when installing, not the much higher 18 for the factory drain plug. Likewise for anyone buying another brand, such as a Fumoto, use the proper torque for that part if it is less than the factory 18 ft-lbs.

Of course one of the many plusses of a drain valve is you only have to care about torque ONE time: when you install it, as opposed to a drain plug that you unscrew and re-tighten every oil change.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Note about the factory drain plug picture in a previous post:

Ford apparently paints the pan inside and out with the plug already installed so you can tell how thick the oil pan (and any internal bung) is by looking at the unpainted threads. Notice there are ~ 4 threads not painted. So that is the preferred number of threads on a drain valve since any additional length will prevent some amount of oil from draining. So regardless of the style of Femco valve (compact, standard, larger or small base, etc.) a part description ending in -T9 is optimal. The 9 represents the length of the threads in mm and is ~5 threads for M12x1.25 threads. The washer is about one thread thick, so a T9 will be virtually flush on the inside of a current 5.0 pan. Same concept for Fumotos; if there are options, try to get one with threads approx 9mm in length.

I have no idea of the thickness of a V6 or Ecoboost oil pan.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
HD,
Thanks for all the great info. Your last message ends with my question as a V6 owner. :)

I just looked under my V6. The oil pan is cast aluminum. The drain plug is horizontal, exiting toward the (passenger) side at the rear corner of the pan. There are zero space constraints on the V6. [On my convertible it is 11" from oem plug to the frame brace and plug is ≈ 2.5" below 3/8" metal tubing (tranny Cooler?).]

If a V6 owner is willing to check the thread size of plug and depth of the cast aluminum oil pan at their next oil change and report, that would be good. The thread depth is not a critical measurement, but I'd be curious.

Any EB owner care to report their oil plug orientation (and pan type)?
Sponsored