Oil Coolers - Aftermarket Alternatives

DaBigGinger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT & GT86
I've still got a year left on my warranty, but will be looking to replace my factory-fit oil cooler with an aftermarket alternative when the warranty does run out.

What options are out there so far and has anyone tried them? How much are they paying and what's the quality like?

I've heard JWR have a Mishimoto kit with their own kit to blank off the factory-fit one. Has anyone tried this yet?
Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Subbing...think I'll be doing this too early next year.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
i know there's a full kit put together by street fighter down under don't know if JWR ever finished their kit.

If you're technically minded at all ford racing do a remote filter plate and you can just buy a generic oil cooler few fittings braided hose do it yourself and some home made mounting plates

OP
OP
DaBigGinger

DaBigGinger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT & GT86
You'd be amazed at how truly ham-fisted I am. I'd much prefer to pay someone to fit a tried-and-tested setup!

As for the JWR kit, I think they finished it off. Keen to hear the opinions of anyone who's had it fitted :)

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
You'd be amazed at how truly ham-fisted I am. I'd much prefer to pay someone to fit a tried-and-tested setup!

As for the JWR kit, I think they finished it off. Keen to hear the opinions of anyone who's had it fitted :)
last i heard from them they'd only fitted it to theirs and one customer but there was a load of problems with the setup they were trying to tweak out of it i think the main issue was actually the mmr cooler they were using.

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=24982]anubis[/MENTION] runs JWR's kit.... Other than that, i know of nothing for a 'fix'

WOLFMAN

wolfman
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stewart
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang fast back 5.0 V8
last i heard from them they'd only fitted it to theirs and one customer but there was a load of problems with the setup they were trying to tweak out of it i think the main issue was actually the mmr cooler they were using.
Mike at Modurstang fitted my MMR Oil Cooler last year when he fitted my FR/Roush Supercharger. No problems to report. Ask Mike if he is still able to source the kit.:thumbsup:

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Mike at Modurstang fitted my MMR Oil Cooler last year when he fitted my FR/Roush Supercharger. No problems to report. Ask Mike if he is still able to source the kit.:thumbsup:
Mike will have made his own bracket to mount the cooler and own lines and probably the FR take off plate for remote filter mounting.

I think JWR were just working on a straight bolt on kit for less technically minded. If you've got a welder and some sheet steel it wouldn't be that hard to knock up your own mount and pick up some bits to make one.

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Not sure I follow the logic here...

You're worried about oil cooler failure enough to look into an aftermarket replacement once the warranty is up, but have complete faith in Ford to fix it if does go wrong, which can be anything from oil cooler replacement & a quick flush to a full engine replacement? I can't see anything going wrong with your car that Ford would be able to blame on an aftermarket oil cooler and that's even if they notice it.

You've read the many horror stories on here about Ford dealer standard of workmanship, right? :D

Anyways, if you've done over about 12K miles and it's not failed yet you'll likely be okay.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Not sure I follow the logic here...

You're worried about oil cooler failure enough to look into an aftermarket replacement once the warranty is up, but have complete faith in Ford to fix it if does go wrong, which can be anything from oil cooler replacement & a quick flush to a full engine replacement? I can't see anything going wrong with your car that Ford would be able to blame on an aftermarket oil cooler and that's even if they notice it.

You've read the many horror stories on here about Ford dealer standard of workmanship, right? :D

Anyways, if you've done over about 12K miles and it's not failed yet you'll likely be okay.
Personally, i'm not particularly worried about failure while i've got a warranty to cover repair. Do I trust Ford to fix it, not really, but I would hope they'd be able to at least get it into a state that I could drive it somewhere and trade it in. I'm confident they would certainly notice an aftermarket solution as they like to mention everything they find which is non-standard. As dealers go they don't seem bad. Once the warranty is up however i'd like the peace of mind of having oil and coolant kept apart as much as is possible.

EDIT: and as you're aware my car will be nowhere near 12k miles by next April ;)

Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic

anubis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 with mods
Yes I have the Mishimoto oil cooler together with JW Racingā€™s adapter plate which allows it to be properly fitted to the RHD mustang. All works nicely.

Maoilearca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 GT Auto Coupe (Guard). FP PP2
Yes I have the Mishimoto oil cooler together with JW Racingā€™s adapter plate which allows it to be properly fitted to the RHD mustang. All works nicely.
Thatā€™s great to hear ā€“ I heard that there was some noise problems from the Mishimoto kit, kind of annoying whirring noise coming through into the cabin

anubis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 with mods
Thatā€™s great to hear ā€“ I heard that there was some noise problems from the Mishimoto kit, kind of annoying whirring noise coming through into the cabin
I have no such noise... Iā€™m not even sure what would cause that.. itā€™s just a thermostatic radiator at the end of the day
Sponsored