Sponsored

Oil Cooler failure: Leaking oil fast!!!

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hi there

My car is a UK car, 4500 miles, drove 300 miles Friday, car fine. Drove to work Monday was fine, parked for couple of days, puddle of oil, over half litre lost, topped up and started and oil pissing on the floor lots of drips making a puddle quick.

Inspected it and there is a small pin size hole on front of oil cooler that oil and water is leaking through.

Have any oil cooler failures being reported in US or elsewhere?

Thankfully spotted, engine oil never went below minimum and coolant not below minimum, but now needs new oil cooler, oil change and coolant flush.

Is there anything else that might need changing on the coolant system or will a flush suffice to get rid of the oil as I noticed mayo forming in reservoir, but not water mixed with engine oil. :)

Also as I am in UK finding parts is hard, does anyone have a link to where I can buy oil cooler please and any other parts people feel it shall need?

Am really keen to hear if anyone else has had an oil cooler just develop a hole like this and begin leaking, it just seems like a really odd thing.
Sponsored

Chris@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
That's not good! We can get you a Mishimoto Oil Cooler system no problem for the s550! We also ship world wide and would be glad to help you out. I would start by getting a programmer and tune if you haven't already. It would be the best bang for your buck when it comes to power. I would also maybe recommend going with a 170 degree thermostat, which is a cheap part that can be installed very quickly. Here is a link to our site and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

www.lethalperformance.com

Link to programmer:

http://www.lethalperformance.com/e-motion-ngauge-tuning-and-monitoring-gauge.html

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's not good! We can get you a Mishimoto Oil Cooler system no problem for the s550! We also ship world wide and would be glad to help you out. I would start by getting a programmer and tune if you haven't already. It would be the best bang for your buck when it comes to power. I would also maybe recommend going with a 170 degree thermostat, which is a cheap part that can be installed very quickly. Here is a link to our site and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

www.lethalperformance.com

Link to programmer:

http://www.lethalperformance.com/e-motion-ngauge-tuning-and-monitoring-gauge.html

I already have a SCT with JDM tune buddy. :)

The leak is coming from the oil cooler itself, not the radiator.

I believe it is this part:
http://parts.bartowford.com/ford/mu...0l-v8-gas-engine/engine-cat/engine-parts-scat

It sits just behind oil filter and has two coolant hoses running into it.

Does the GT & GT PP use the same oil cooler apart above because I thought PP cars had an upgraded cooler or was that radiators?

Derek@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 300A w/ Brembo's
It's the radiator that is supposed to be a larger capacity over the standard radiator, the oil cooler sandwich should be the same. We can source that piece for you and as Chris stated, we ship world wide. Let us know if we can be of assistance.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's the radiator that is supposed to be a larger capacity over the standard radiator, the oil cooler sandwich should be the same. We can source that piece for you and as Chris stated, we ship world wide. Let us know if we can be of assistance.
Yes its the oil cooler sandwich, can you me know a price please. Its with Ford under warranty, but being UK they might take weeks to get the park and if I can source myself from US and ship quicker I shall buy it myself.

Have you heard of this part failing on any US cars buddy?

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
This seems like something that the dealer should repair under warranty...

JR

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This seems like something that the dealer should repair under warranty...

JR
Yes of course as its clear part has failed! :)
But I am in UK and believe it or not it might be faster for me get the part quicker myself.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
have you called or stopped by your local dealership and to get a time estimate for a warranty repair?

Derek@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 300A w/ Brembo's
Yes its the oil cooler sandwich, can you me know a price please. Its with Ford under warranty, but being UK they might take weeks to get the park and if I can source myself from US and ship quicker I shall buy it myself.

Have you heard of this part failing on any US cars buddy?
I have not had anyone report to us any failures in the US. Go ahead and shoot us an email to [email protected] with the part and your address and we'll get you priced out and a figure out a shipping price with options as well :cheers:

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
have you called or stopped by your local dealership and to get a time estimate for a warranty repair?
It's with them now I shall visit them tomorrow. :)

As the coolant system seems contaminated, some sweating in resovoir I feel oil could be in radiator, will a flush get it out or should I request warranty also changes radiator, hoses and reservoir too?

Want my car as good as new as my modifications could not cause this and the part has no physical damage just a hole the size of a paper click end where oil and water is leaking from oil cooler.

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
flush should work, but if not, they can run some dish soap through the system to help emulsify the oil. Hopefully that won't generate too many bubbles. Just joking.

Actually I don't know.

This thread should probably be in the Issues / Warranty section.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
flush should work, but if not, they can run some dish soap through the system to help emulsify the oil. Hopefully that won't generate too many bubbles. Just joking.

Actually I don't know.

This thread should probably be in the Issues / Warranty section.

Ah did not we had such a section, I shall post a thread in there too as the UK Mustang is very new so dealerships have not even done oil changes yet let alone a job like this.

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Sounds like something or someone punctured your cooler. Reason I say this is you are leaking oil and coolant, so both the oil compartment and the coolant compartment have a leak.

If I understand how this cooler works, the oil line passes through a coolant compartment, so how do they both get punctured?

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sounds like something or someone punctured your cooler. Reason I say this is you are leaking oil and coolant, so both the oil compartment and the coolant compartment have a leak.

If I understand how this cooler works, the oil line passes through a coolant compartment, so how do they both get punctured?

It's sad that whenever I read something like this I instantly think the last mechanic who touched it knows how to do something like that.