Sponsored

Oil consumption got worse. Not sure what to do. Should I sell the car?

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Strangely mine has recently gotten worse the last couple of weeks. I haven't been driving any differently and really the only change has been the weather. Would colder weather have anything to do with oil consumption for any reason?
Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
1 quart / 500mi consumption level is acceptable per the owner's manual.
where did you see this? I only saw a reference to checking the engine oil once per month. And if the average car is driven 1000 / miles per month, then they are implying to check the oil every 1000 miles. And I wouldn't think a car should drop more than a quart between a recommended oil level check.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Strangely mine has recently gotten worse the last couple of weeks. I haven't been driving any differently and really the only change has been the weather. Would colder weather have anything to do with oil consumption for any reason?
Well yes, colder weather means longer warm ups which means more oil getting passing the piston rings.

Last edited:

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
where did you see this? I only saw a reference to checking the engine oil once per month. And if the average car is driven 1000 / miles per month, then they are implying to check the oil every 1000 miles. And I wouldn't think a car should drop more than a quart between a recommended oil level check.
Also - for reference..

From the 2017 Mustang owner's manual found here: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...s-Manual-version-2_om_EN-US_EN-CA_12_2016.pdf

High performance vehicles can be driven
in such a way that may lead to higher oil
consumption (this includes extended time
at high engine speeds, high loads, engine
braking, hard cornering maneuvers, and
track use). Under these conditions, the
engine oil level needs to be checked at
every refueling and adjusted to maintain
proper level to avoid engine damage.

From the 2017 GT350 Owner's Manual Supplement found here:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...350-Supplement-version-3_su_EN-US_03_2017.pdf

You can drive high performance vehicles
in such a way that may lead to higher oil
consumption (this includes extended time
at high engine speeds, high loads, engine
braking, hard cornering maneuvers, and
track use). Under these conditions, oil
consumption of approximately 1 quart per
500 miles (1 liter per 800 km) is possible.
As a result, you need to check the engine
oil level at every refueling and adjust to
maintain proper levels to avoid engine
damage.
posted earlier in this thread

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Here:
Screenshot_2017-10-11-12-17-51-1.png

Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Well yes, older weather means longer warm ups which means more oil getting passing the piston rings.
That would seem to make sense, it has been in the 30s and 40s here in the morning. It takes quite a while for the engine to get up to temp. And by up to temp, I mean in the 170s. It won't even get into the 180s by the time I'm at work 30-40 minutes later.

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
That would seem to make sense, it has been in the 30s and 40s here in the morning. It takes quite a while for the engine to get up to temp. And by up to temp, I mean in the 170s. It won't even get into the 180s by the time I'm at work 30-40 minutes later.
The more you drive it with cold oil the more it will consume as well.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Well yes, colder weather means longer warm ups which means more oil getting passing the piston rings.
The more you drive it with cold oil the more it will consume as well.
I gotta say I am a bit surprised about the tolerances that it is that noticeable when it is only in the 30s and 40s. But, it does sound plausible why it is consuming more.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
"Customer Satisfaction Program 17B04:
Subject: Complimentary Oil Filter Wrench
dated March 20, 2017

Program Terms
"This program will be in effect through Nov 30, 2017. There is no distance limit for this program

Revised GT350 Supplement

Mailing April 2017, through mid-Jun 2017

I like how they call it "Customer Satisfaction Program". Yes, oil in the engine would make me a more satisfied customer.

Is this document just mailed to dealerships, or to all owners?

The good news is, the program is in effect through Nov 2017. Which means that after that, any high oil consumption will magically stop.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've driven mine quite a few miles in below zero weather without any oil being burned. This was mostly highway cruising in 6th gear.

Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I've driven mine quite a few miles in below zero weather without any oil being burned. This was mostly highway cruising in 6th gear.
Dammit [MENTION=12069]Hack[/MENTION], I was hoping it was an easy explanation. But, we've seen these motors are all over the place in regard to this issue so it could be true for mine. Who knows.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Dammit [MENTION=12069]Hack[/MENTION], I was hoping it was an easy explanation. But, we've seen these motors are all over the place in regard to this issue so it could be true for mine. Who knows.
It's possible there's an impact on oil consumption when the temperatures are cooler. I did notice that oil temperatures never got up to 180 degrees during hundreds of miles of driving. I probably would avoid driving the car in that situation in the future, just because I like it and want it to last a long time. I understand wear is accelerated when an engine isn't fully warm.

Also, at the time I didn't have oil/air separators on the car. If anything I would think an oil/air separator would reduce oil consumption by restricting the flow of crankcase vapors to some degree, but who knows?

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
posted earlier in this thread
"You can drive high performance vehicles in such a way that may lead to higher oil consumption (this includes extended time at high engine speeds, high loads, engine braking, hard cornering maneuvers, and track use). Under these conditions, oil consumption of approximately 1 quart per 500 miles (1 liter per 800 km) is possible. As a result, you need to check the engine oil level at every refueling and adjust to maintain proper levels to avoid engine damage.

In theory, you could use the Oil Change computer to determine if you are driving at "high engine speeds, and "high loads". From the owners manual:

When to expect the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message
Interval Vehicle use and example

Normal 7,000–10,000 mi

Extreme 3,000–5,000 mi
(4,800–7,999 km) Maximum load or track use
Extreme hot or cold operation

If the computer doesn't think you need to change the oil for 10,000 miles, yet the car is dropping a quart every 500 miles, that would seem odd.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
"You can drive high performance vehicles in such a way that may lead to higher oil consumption (this includes extended time at high engine speeds, high loads, engine braking, hard cornering maneuvers, and track use). Under these conditions, oil consumption of approximately 1 quart per 500 miles (1 liter per 800 km) is possible. As a result, you need to check the engine oil level at every refueling and adjust to maintain proper levels to avoid engine damage.

In theory, you could use the Oil Change computer to determine if you are driving at "high engine speeds, and "high loads". From the owners manual:

Normal 7,000–10,000 mi

Extreme 3,000–5,000 mi

If the computer doesn't think you need to change the oil for 10,000 miles, yet the car is dropping a quart every 500 miles, that would seem odd.
true - I haven't even looked at the oil life screen except when I reset it. I'll have to take a peek when I get home

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI

Normal 7,000–10,000 mi

Extreme 3,000–5,000 mi

That sounds like its only checking for oil contamination, not level. As such it would NOT tell you that you need to add more. Which is why the manual tells you to check it.
Sponsored