Sponsored

oil change at 1000 mi ?? waste of time and $ ?

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (sold); 04 Cobra (sold)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If I bring in some Amsoil will the dealer look at me funny?
My first oil change I brought oil and filter, because the dealer didn't have any. However, I brought in the factory Motorcraft oil. Just call the dealer and ask. Ask what they will charge, too. You probably don't want to pay $140 if you are also supplying the oil.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I don't think 1000 is enough to fully break in the engine. I would wait till between 2000-3000.

RyanR3KC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I've always been of the understanding for performance cars that you drive with the original oil through the engine break in mileage then change it right after that.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Im changing my oil now but I question that. There is a screen on your oil pick up(Im assuming) and then that is filtered before being pumped into the engine so technically anything large is not being recirculated.
Well unless there is a reason why doing the oil change is bad for the car and engine at 1000, I'll still err on the side of precaution.

What is 1 oil change of oil that isn't completely used up as the first step to "potentially" protecting the engine of a $60k car over the lifetime of the car?

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Well unless there is a reason why doing the oil change is bad for the car and engine at 1000, I'll still err on the side of precaution.

What is 1 oil change of oil that isn't completely used up as the first step to "potentially" protecting the engine of a $60k car over the lifetime of the car?
Dunno I changed mine at right about a 1000 to be safe but I dont like doing things without understanding the reason behind it.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I'm just over 3k miles. I did my first change at 1200. Planning to do my next change right after my next track day. I'm changing all the fluids after that one (Transmission, Diff, Engine). I figure, ~$120 for an oil change is more than worth it so I don't have any questions in the back of my head. It's better to do it more often than doing it too late. I'd rather stay on the safe side even if it's slightly more expensive.
$120? Is that for factory fill..

My dealer charged me $54 for my first change at 1200 miles.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track

The car takes 10 quarts of oil. so I dont know what they did for you but I suggest you confirm lol.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Dunno I changed mine at right about a 1000 to be safe but I dont like doing things without understanding the reason behind it.
I changed mine at about 1800 kms or ~1150 miles, and there was a noticeable amount of what I can only assume to be aluminum particles within the oil. And this was found after screening the engine oil itself, I can only imagine that the oil filter would have had a lot of the stuff in there as well.

There is no negative consequences of changing your oil early/more frequently. It is the same concept as showering or brushing your teeth; doing either more frequently than you can "get away with" will always be better than doing the bare minimum. It is just a simple, relatively cheap cost step in regards to long term preventative maintenance :thumbsup:

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)

Do the GT's use regular or synthetic oil? Did you provide your own oil or did dealer supply? At that price, they either used regular oil or I would assume you provided your own oil and they only charged you labour.

Sponsored

shelby24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
[MENTION=24742]firestarter2[/MENTION] , what dealership you go for oil change and did you notify them that your car require special oil filter .
If you are going to a dealer for a oil change I would recommend that u make sure they have a filter for your car. I brought my Shelby in last week for a scheduled oil change and the dealer had no filters I had to bring it back the next day.:ford:

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Do the GT's use regular or synthetic oil? Did you provide your own oil or did dealer supply? At that price, they either used regular oil or I would assume you provided your own oil and they only charged you labour.
I was under the assumption its a motorcraft brand that is semi synthetic. I did not bring my own oil. I scheduled an appt to have the oil changed and that was it. They can do what ever they want, thats why I have them do it. If they screw it up its on them.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
The car takes 10 quarts of oil. so I dont know what they did for you but I suggest you confirm lol.
I checked the dipstick and check regularly every week. It was at the top of the fill line. I imagine it got what it needed. I got the receipt in the glovebox let me check if they used reg oil or semi synthetic motorcraft.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I checked the dipstick and check regularly every week. It was at the top of the fill line. I imagine it got what it needed. I got the receipt in the glovebox let me check if they used reg oil or semi synthetic motorcraft.
54 doesn't cover materials a cheap synthetic is 5 a quart.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Ok fellas here is what they have written down on service receipt

Part #
FL 500 S. Filter ASY - $7.28

XO 5W20 BSP. Oil-engine. Qty 8 @ $3.48

Parts total $38.00
Hazaed waste $2.00
Line A- performed the works maint package, front brakes 11mm, rear 10mm $13.47