Sponsored

oil change at 1000 mi ?? waste of time and $ ?

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
I'm just over 3k miles. I did my first change at 1200. Planning to do my next change right after my next track day. I'm changing all the fluids after that one (Transmission, Diff, Engine). I figure, ~$120 for an oil change is more than worth it so I don't have any questions in the back of my head. It's better to do it more often than doing it too late. I'd rather stay on the safe side even if it's slightly more expensive.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
I had a Ford engineer who has a 350 on order tell me the only issue with the engine is cantamination. He doesn't work in the engine dept but gets feedback from them. They recommend 500 miles for the first oil change and catch cans for spirited driving. :cheers:

Sponsored

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
I changed mine at 500 miles....I sleep better now!
That would explain why i haven't been sleeping like a baby lately, i haven't done mine yet, and i'm at 700 miles.

Race ramps extenders should come in tomorrow, so i'll be good to go after that.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
so my understanding is FORD recommends 1st oil change at 3k or 5k miles, something like that depending on driving conditions. I don't track it, it's my daily driver with about 30 highway miles daily, and there are no hills here in Phoenix. ...I see many are opting to do an earlier oil change closer to 1000 miles ( and I've seen the pics of the contaminants). I'm at 950 miles today and contemplating getting this done, but it will be expensive, is it worth it?? Was also told prior to delivery FORD runs these with the other type of oil to break in the motor and clean it out, so am I just being overly protective for no good reason??
It was worth it to me. I did the first change at 1,200.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
For my "toy" cars I always change the oil at 500 initially. On my 16 I did it at 500 miles and had the oil analyzed. The report came back there was a lot of silicon and other materials in the oil. It's best to get that out of the engine. I don't advise doing an oil change before 500 miles as there will still be a lot of crap in the engine. Does this mean you are shortening your engine life by waiting until 5k miles? Probably not as the filter should catch any larger particles that could hurt your engine but I always find when spending 60k+ on a car changing the oil one extra time is worth the 100-130 cost.

Since I don't drive my car a ton, after the 500 mile change, I change it once a year in the spring.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Either doing it at 1K or waiting til 4K or 5k for your first oil change you'll ever suffer a problem that you will relate directly to your first oil change. And most likely any problems you do have will be a result of stacking problems over time. Getting the initial junk out of the engine early will be just one step in preventive maintenance over the life of the car

Syberspace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Did mine at 1600 and had an analysis done at Blackstone, due to some of what I read here. Nothing out of the ordinary on the report. Maybe others are seeing things, but my report was clean. YMMV...

Sponsored

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (sold); 04 Cobra (sold)
If I bring in some Amsoil will the dealer look at me funny?

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
If I bring in some Amsoil will the dealer look at me funny?
First gotta make sure they will allow you to bring your own oil, which i doubt very much.
If not well why not DIY ?

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (sold); 04 Cobra (sold)
First gotta make sure they will allow you to bring your own oil, which i doubt very much.
If not well why not DIY ?
I have no tools and have never done it before. I'm not a DIY kinda gal. I'm a PSTDIFM (pay someone to do it for me) kinda gal. ;)

I'll just take it to a trusted shop most likely.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
I have no tools and have never done it before. I'm not a DIY kinda gal. I'm a PSTDIFM (pay someone to do it for me) kinda gal. ;)

I'll just take it to a trusted shop most likely.
You need a man that can do it all in your life. ;)

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Either doing it at 1K or waiting til 4K or 5k for your first oil change you'll ever suffer a problem that you will relate directly to your first oil change. And most likely any problems you do have will be a result of stacking problems over time. Getting the initial junk out of the engine early will be just one step in preventive maintenance over the life of the car
Im changing my oil now but I question that. There is a screen on your oil pick up(Im assuming) and then that is filtered before being pumped into the engine so technically anything large is not being recirculated.
Sponsored