Sponsored

Official Tesla-Style Head Unit

Sway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang gt (Oxford White)
I just spoke to Phoenix Android on the phone. I'm returning everything and getting a refund. The guy was hard to understand but polite. He gave me the option for a replacement or refund. I'm honestly not willing to take the chance of getting another bad unit.
Damn that sucks man
Sponsored

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
Yeah it does. It just seemed like the issues started piling up. I kind of get the feeling that they are getting alot of returns. There was no dispute and he offered me the option almost immediately.
Damn that sucks man

schenoy1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015. Ruby Red
Hi,
I have a Base GT (currently with Tomtop 8").
Obviously, the base doesnt have the 4 silver toggle switches on the bottom, just the 3 push buttons.
The "Tesla" unit they sent me, does. Is this correct, I hope so, love to have those toggles, but want to make sure before I start installing...Thanks!

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
Yep, you got the correct one. The mode switch does not give driving modes, it switches modes on the screen.

Hi,
I have a Base GT (currently with Tomtop 8").
Obviously, the base doesnt have the 4 silver toggle switches on the bottom, just the 3 push buttons.
The "Tesla" unit they sent me, does. Is this correct, I hope so, love to have those toggles, but want to make sure before I start installing...Thanks!

club718

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt
Here Is A Quick note On The Tesla Unit. Installed An Amp Yesterday The Rca Cables Which Says FR FL RR RL Do Work As PreAmp Out Puts. But To Get A Remote Turn On You Cannot Use The Blue Power Antenna wire Has A Remote Turn On Only 4.63 volts You Need To Use The Fuse Box On the Passenger Side Fuse # 23 For Your Remote Turn On Go To Auto zone And Buy A Fuse Holder Wire That Holds 2 10 Amp Fuses And Your Good to go Hope This Helps Someone

Sponsored

Azura5.0

Slow AF Coyote
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Julie
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT
Alright, so after having mine now for about 4 months, I'm having some major issues and hoping someone can offer some advice. I'm running the Nova Launcher on mine and have a base GT. When I use the toggle switches on the bottom for either traction control or steering wheel setting, it'll either turn my HVAC on Max or mute my volume. I've run into this a lot when certain buttons trigger totally different controls. I have a video of it on my IG live stream @Azura5.0 if anyone wants to see. But I cannot figure out how to factory reset it at all to see if that'll help, or if it's a hardware issue. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I tried telling you guys this thing was a steamy pile of shit, but I'm sure you all know WAY more than the guy who brought them to the US en masse and did complete teardowns and rebuilds of them. The reason I have nothing positive to say about the unit is because there IS nothing positive about it. Spend $600 on a giant screen, with a spoofed OS, running on recycled and nearly antiquated Frankenstein parts, then you're surprised when things go south.

But hey, at least you have a giant screen, and gimmicky drive modes now, who cares if your radio and HVAC are constantly lagging and failing, not to mention hazard lights getting possessed.

Pesti13nce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Base manual
I tried telling you guys this thing was a steamy pile of shit, but I'm sure you all know WAY more than the guy who brought them to the US en masse and did complete teardowns and rebuilds of them. The reason I have nothing positive to say about the unit is because there IS nothing positive about it. Spend $600 on a giant screen, with a spoofed OS, running on recycled and nearly antiquated Frankenstein parts, then you're surprised when things go south.

But hey, at least you have a giant screen, and gimmicky drive modes now, who cares if your radio and HVAC are constantly lagging and failing, not to mention hazard lights getting possessed.
I think you mentioned like a dozen times on this thread about it being junk... we get it.. it's cool... people are still going to try it and have problems... it's fine.

club718

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt
I've Owned This Telsa Unit For 8 months. Never Had Any Issues. Why Just Leave Whats Bein Installed on it. DONT Change Anything!! Don't Install Nova Laucher Or Car Laucher you will have issues if you do!!! I'm Running it without any changes and its worked Fine! No Hiccups At All Save yourself the aggravation. Run It Stock With The layout it came with. Hope This Helps Remember its Made In CHINA Cheap Parts

Sponsored

bhooray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Grabber Blue
I've Owned This Telsa Unit For 8 months. Never Had Any Issues. Why Just Leave Whats Bein Installed on it. DONT Change Anything!! Don't Install Nova Laucher Or Car Laucher you will have issues if you do!!! I'm Running it without any changes and its worked Fine! No Hiccups At All Save yourself the aggravation. Run It Stock With The layout it came with. Hope This Helps Remember its Made In CHINA Cheap Parts
^^^ THIS

I've had mine for 7 months, no issues. I didn't change anything, just updated the settings.

DAZZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RHD Mustang GT S550 PP Platinum White
I am new to this thread on the Tesla head unit but I have read the entire thread. It seems like the main issue with this unit is that it does not have a enough ram and runs an older version of Android? This makes the boot up slow and the it probably causes some glitches when running alternative downloaded software from the play store. If the unit is struggling the best option is to master rest the unit to factory. This is not uncommon with cheap android units with low ram and old versions of android.

Makes no sense that they cannot stick a potent android CPU and more RAM in such a big control unit - there is plenty of space. I am wondering if they need to get rid of all this old stock before they start to introduce a better units.

I am still tempted to order one despite these issues. I have a premium gt with Sync 3. The sync 3 is also slow and buggy and its annoying to have to plug my phone into the usb port to access spottily or maps. What is more annoying is that the fact that it wont let me navigate music while driving and using spotify (safety bullshit message pops up)

Can someone please help with the following question before I pull the pin one one of these?

Question 1: does this unit have restrictions of use when in motion?
Question 2: It appears to have preamp outputs cane someone confirm they have connected directly to their aftermarket amplifier?
Question 3: There are newer units with Android OS 6 and even 7 on the internet alliexpress. Some have a different bezel without the toggle switches and a 11.8inch screen anyone try these units?
Question 4: Does it work with the ford sync3 GPS unit or do I need to install the GPS sensor that comes with the unit?
Question 5: I have heated and cooled seats I take it the climate control has these programmed to work?

Thanks

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I am new to this thread on the Tesla head unit but I have read the entire thread. It seems like the main issue with this unit is that it does not have a enough ram and runs an older version of Android? This makes the boot up slow and the it probably causes some glitches when running alternative downloaded software from the play store. If the unit is struggling the best option is to master rest the unit to factory. This is not uncommon with cheap android units with low ram and old versions of android.

Makes no sense that they cannot stick a potent android CPU and more RAM in such a big control unit - there is plenty of space. I am wondering if they need to get rid of all this old stock before they start to introduce a better units.

I am still tempted to order one despite these issues. I have a premium gt with Sync 3. The sync 3 is also slow and buggy and its annoying to have to plug my phone into the usb port to access spottily or maps. What is more annoying is that the fact that it wont let me navigate music while driving and using spotify (safety bullshit message pops up)

Can someone please help with the following question before I pull the pin one one of these?

Question 1: does this unit have restrictions of use when in motion?
Question 2: It appears to have preamp outputs cane someone confirm they have connected directly to their aftermarket amplifier?
Question 3: There are newer units with Android OS 6 and even 7 on the internet alliexpress. Some have a different bezel without the toggle switches and a 11.8inch screen anyone try these units?
Question 4: Does it work with the ford sync3 GPS unit or do I need to install the GPS sensor that comes with the unit?
Question 5: I have heated and cooled seats I take it the climate control has these programmed to work?

Thanks
1. No restrictions.
2. Not sure.
3. The Android version is almost always a lie. I have an Android 6 unit, most are still 5, and disguised as 6.
4. You have to install the one with it.
5. Yes... ish.
6. Don't get rid of Sync3 for it.

DAZZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RHD Mustang GT S550 PP Platinum White
1. No restrictions.
2. Not sure.
3. The Android version is almost always a lie. I have an Android 6 unit, most are still 5, and disguised as 6.
4. You have to install the one with it.
5. Yes... ish.
6. Don't get rid of Sync3 for it.
Thanks. Are you still using your version or did you put it back to stock?

Sync 3 sucks. looks like there is no improvement with these systems. I wonder how long I have to wait before a new version is out or other options better than what I have seen.

I think I may buy one and modify it. I would install a back up battery that does not charge when the car is off, so it does not have to boot up. I think the boot up is whats causing the device to scramble and also with androids and updates etc when you boot up the device I have a feeling it needs to start to check for updates etc and this causes the system to hang. I have noticed this with a cheap android tablet I use for a remote at home. Its is very slow for the first 15min after booting up and once it settles it works fine. Mostly people drive short distances and the unit has just booted up I can only imagine how terrible the unit would be in this case. The unit needs to stay on for it to run smooth.

If I could get hold of the android software that controls the car functions and C-bus connection it would be easy to build my own.

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. Are you still using your version or did you put it back to stock?

Sync 3 sucks. looks like there is no improvement with these systems. I wonder how long I have to wait before a new version is out or other options better than what I have seen.

I think I may buy one and modify it. I would install a back up battery that does not charge when the car is off, so it does not have to boot up. I think the boot up is whats causing the device to scramble and also with androids and updates etc when you boot up the device I have a feeling it needs to start to check for updates etc and this causes the system to hang. I have noticed this with a cheap android tablet I use for a remote at home. Its is very slow for the first 15min after booting up and once it settles it works fine. Mostly people drive short distances and the unit has just booted up I can only imagine how terrible the unit would be in this case. The unit needs to stay on for it to run smooth.

If I could get hold of the android software that controls the car functions and C-bus connection it would be easy to build my own.
I'm the guy who got them here, and worked with several developers on it. I've taken it down to bare metal and rebuilt it. I've seen every crevice, nook and cranny. Reverse engineered so much of it...
It is NOT worth.it. it's shit hardware, with haphazardly written code.
Sponsored