Sponsored

Official Tesla-Style Head Unit

calebdnehus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT
Did people lose interest? considered going to a Sync 3 system over this, it will cost more but I want to retain most of the OEM stuff
I thought about going this route but for the quality of the product you get, I'd rather spend the $2k on the OEM unit. Most people seem to have buggy units, not to mention its kinda rice-ish for my taste. The one that works and looks the best is probably the OEM. Unfortunately it costs quite a bit to get
Sponsored

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, D1 Procharger Stage 2
I had the Sync and it sucked. The voice commands take way too long to be useful. I enabled the NAV, which sucked. Takes 5 minutes just to punch in the address. No apps available.

With the Tesla, I can run the torque app, wade, or any other Android app. It has every other feature the factory unit has and 10x more.

Can they be buggy, yes. Are they a little slow to boot up, yes. Does climate get stuck until system boots yes. But it is all worth it

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
Just opened my new Christmas gift of a Tesla-Style head unit. It didn't come with any wiring instructions. I did a youtube search and found several videos on how to remove the old radio, a few on how to install this radio, but none showing any wire connections. I think it will be 'obvious' on how to connect the wires when I remove the old radio, but just in case... Does anybody have a wiring diagram? I want to connect all three video input sources to three different cameras (if possible). I want to use a front camera, left camera, right camera, and possibly use the already connected rear camera to record all four videos at once. Is this possible using the video input cables and any particular android app that can record from all four of them at the same time?

I plan on reading through all of the pages in this thread starting on page 1 right now - if my kid let's me. Hope I can get done tonight.

If anybody wants to label these wires on where they go to do this, feel free to do so and reply. I will take a chance at installing the radio tomorrow or the next day. I really wanted to get some cooling fan(s) and a Wi-Fi RF extension cable before I started. I also need a few more video cameras if there is any way to get some android app to record from those optional video inputs. Here's what the wires that come with the unit look like:
mustang_forum_wires2.jpg

EliteGeeks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I had the Sync and it sucked. The voice commands take way too long to be useful. I enabled the NAV, which sucked. Takes 5 minutes just to punch in the address. No apps available.

With the Tesla, I can run the torque app, wade, or any other Android app. It has every other feature the factory unit has and 10x more.

Can they be buggy, yes. Are they a little slow to boot up, yes. Does climate get stuck until system boots yes. But it is all worth it

Sync 3? or the older ones

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Did people lose interest? considered going to a Sync 3 system over this, it will cost more but I want to retain most of the OEM stuff
The Tesla unit was kind of a fad. Some still have it and like it, but there isn't a lot of new/renewed interest. The 8' unit looks closest to stock, has the best hardware, and is supposed to land in the $350 range.

Sponsored

EliteGeeks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The Tesla unit was kind of a fad. Some still have it and like it, but there isn't a lot of new/renewed interest. The 8' unit looks closest to stock, has the best hardware, and is supposed to land in the $350 range.

Seems to be what I have been reading... 2017 supported I assume, I use to use a Carputer with windows 7 and centrafuse and considered this way with a metra kit or something, I have a few 7" VGA touch screens for the simple fast boot from hibernation, I am stumped why they have not make the androids just stay on all the time if desired since they hardly use power

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
I just spend the last hour trying to change the boot image on startup. I noticed some earlier posts that some people were successful first on gen 1, then on gen 2. I found some post with a picture of an android app that was not on my radio. I already created a custom image of 768 x 1024 and want to put it in a place that will be read on boot up. I just searched all over looking/trying various APK files that change the boot logo, but would like to use the one that actually works and does not require me to root the radio. Does anybody have a link to the APK to change the boot image on a gen 2?

I found this very complicated process that should work on RK (rocketchip) PX3 HW (same used in this radio), but didn't spend the hours to try it yet: https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...e-development/guide-change-boot-logo-t3454946. Hoping somebody posts the apk to change the logo as I have 2.5 hours on this now.

Last edited:

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anybody know how to change from Celsius to Fahrenheit? Can you PM me please. A couple of us want to know

Thanks.

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
Does anybody know how to change from Celsius to Fahrenheit? Can you PM me please. A couple of us want to know

Thanks.
I figured that out. Just go to the hidden screen, enter the password of 7890, and there is an option to change to Fahrenheit in 'system set' menu. The hidden screen can be found here:
hidden_menu.png

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These Chinese are hilarious. They do shit so ass backwards I just don't get it.

But I really appreciate the response. There are so many things I need to learn about the Tesla. Seems to have a lot of potential.

Sponsored

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks fine. Mostly just what I want it for.

HBMike

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I’m on the custom rom from April and the 7890 password nor the 6681 works for me

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What else besides the temperature controls is in Celsius? That's all I want it for anyway.