Sponsored

Official GT350 Track Attack Attendance Thread

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
You will have a blast Bill...!!!!

I am going to tape this since I have drove the track now:

BANK OF AMERICA ROVAL™ 400
Sunday, October 11, 2020 2:30 PM
NASCAR Cup Series

If your Track Attack is before or after this event, I would watch it. It will be interesting to see just how SLOW our laps are compared to theirs, and if their lines are different.
4 days after! I hope they sweep up the marbles ;-)
Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Was Aaron Quine your lead follow instructor? He's great - made me feel comfortable and give nice attaboys when doing the slalom & varying radius exercises in Utah last summer (I was a driving guest).
That exercise, skid car, and a on-track turn by turn Instructor nuanced guidance all had in-car instructors in the passengers seat. how did that differ this year given the radio & distancing practices for compliance? Am supposed to go mid Oct. and am wondering. For me those in car instructors were the best part - super patient guys (James Burke did my ride along instruction and also drove to show my hot laps...which was great for "see what I mean?" continuity as he blew my mind).
Thanks for posting this - excellent.
Yup, it was Aaron Quinn, great dude.
I was there right at the beginning of Corona so I'm not sure what they're doing these days. I wish there would have been some in-car instruction on track though. . .but I see how that would have been labor intensive for FPRS.

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
Yup, it was Aaron Quinn, great dude.
I was there right at the beginning of Corona so I'm not sure what they're doing these days. I wish there would have been some in-car instruction on track though. . .but I see how that would have been labor intensive for FPRS.
For the several on track laps James was using arms & hand directions to really emphasis more turn in or run out and would slap at steering or my right drive leg in a more more more way that made it all great fun....I remember saying too often "seriously?" and "jeeze louise" as he coaxed me to push the car harder (as a guest still waiting fro my GT350 build later that month I hadn't even driven a std transmission or mustang in 18 years so getting out of my high-center of gravity SUV mindset was tough....plus I think I'm getting more cautious with age & back problems that James was very respectful of).
They're great and some have an even better personality. My hot lap driver the 2nd day barely spoke - not nearly as fun or instructive as James or Aaron or many of the other guys made it.

I'm not sure I'm any better a driver now that I have my low mileage 350 but I look forward to another opportunity to work on it & gain confidence. If I'm the slowest I don't car as long as I pushed myself a little out of my comfort zone and my back isn't screaming out to stop.
Again, thanks for sharing!

p.s. Last Fall Arron was here in MA instructing new drivers at Ford's hand on youth instruction day. Can't imagine how cool it is for them to be given tips by a real Trans Am series driver. Ford has some great programs.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
For the several on track laps James was using arms & hand directions to really emphasis more turn in or run out and would slap at steering or my right drive leg in a more more more way that made it all great fun....I remember saying too often "seriously?" and "jeeze louise" as he coaxed me to push the car harder (as a guest still waiting fro my GT350 build later that month I hadn't even driven a std transmission or mustang in 18 years so getting out of my high-center of gravity SUV mindset was tough....plus I think I'm getting more cautious with age & back problems that James was very respectful of).
They're great and some have an even better personality. My hot lap driver the 2nd day barely spoke - not nearly as fun or instructive as James or Aaron or many of the other guys made it.

I'm not sure I'm any better a driver now that I have my low mileage 350 but I look forward to another opportunity to work on it & gain confidence. If I'm the slowest I don't car as long as I pushed myself a little out of my comfort zone and my back isn't screaming out to stop.
Again, thanks for sharing!

p.s. Last Fall Arron was here in MA instructing new drivers at Ford's hand on youth instruction day. Can't imagine how cool it is for them to be given tips by a real Trans Am series driver. Ford has some great programs.
Don’t take it personally when your hot last driver doesn’t speak much. They have a lot to concentrate upon when they have another life in the car.

It was that way with my NASCAR training back in the day. Not much was said on hot laps, but more so to watch and learn. After the session was over we went over the things he was doing and then went back out on the track at a slower pace while he talked and then you’re like, “Wow!!! That makes perfect sense.”

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Don’t take it personally when your hot last driver doesn’t speak much. They have a lot to concentrate upon when they have another life in the car.

It was that way with my NASCAR training back in the day. Not much was said on hot laps, but more so to watch and learn. After the session was over we went over the things he was doing and then went back out on the track at a slower pace while he talked and then you’re like, “Wow!!! That makes perfect sense.”
Have to concentrate? With all due respect I don't buy it. At FPDS the hot lap ends the day - there is no go back & explain what was what and IMO there's no better time to explain techniques & vehicle dynamics than while it's happening rather than relying on after the fact commentary. We already had spent 2 days in & out of classrooms and on track.

What else set my expectations? Well my 1st day hot lap driver James Burke talked non stop checking to make sure I was ok, knowing of my back problem that I reassured him I was good- give it the beans! (he's a brit), but also was explaining every single thing he was doing - how much how little what to watch for and relating it to what he saw me do - all at breakneck speed as proof that it works. The whole time he was relaxed and I felt safe and mind blown at the same time - Its another day in the office for him as he hammered through chicanes and buried it down the straights. If I were a wealthy lad I'd gladly hire him to help me overcome in real-time the many areas where I was lacking confidence or was missing the point (or apex ; ).
It was only the 2nd day hot lap driver who barely spoke a word (on the west track that was new for that day). While that ride was impressive it was not anywhere near as instructive or fun as the 1st day laps with James. I certainly didn't "take it personally" - it wasn't as good at least not in that session for me.
These guys aren't just drivers - they're *instructors*. Its their job to explain AND show what is possible with these cars with the end of day hot lap being the ultimate example of that. Anyway its all good. Sadly will be cancelling going next month. Too many responsibilities here at home from elders who need me to hopefully starting as new job and not being able to quarantine waiting for all clear test results. The real problem is the travel to & from (too far to drive). 2020 sucks.

Sponsored

ADDGAMER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Have to concentrate? With all due respect I don't buy it. At FPDS the hot lap ends the day - there is no go back & explain what was what and IMO there's no better time to explain techniques & vehicle dynamics than while it's happening rather than relying on after the fact commentary. We already had spent 2 days in & out of classrooms and on track.

What else set my expectations? Well my 1st day hot lap driver James Burke talked non stop checking to make sure I was ok, knowing of my back problem that I reassured him I was good- give it the beans! (he's a brit), but also was explaining every single thing he was doing - how much how little what to watch for and relating it to what he saw me do - all at breakneck speed as proof that it works. The whole time he was relaxed and I felt safe and mind blown at the same time - Its another day in the office for him as he hammered through chicanes and buried it down the straights. If I were a wealthy lad I'd gladly hire him to help me overcome in real-time the many areas where I was lacking confidence or was missing the point (or apex ; ).
It was only the 2nd day hot lap driver who barely spoke a word (on the west track that was new for that day). While that ride was impressive it was not anywhere near as instructive or fun as the 1st day laps with James. I certainly didn't "take it personally" - it wasn't as good at least not in that session for me.
These guys aren't just drivers - they're *instructors*. Its their job to explain AND show what is possible with these cars with the end of day hot lap being the ultimate example of that. Anyway its all good. Sadly will be cancelling going next month. Too many responsibilities here at home from elders who need me to hopefully starting as new job and not being able to quarantine waiting for all clear test results. The real problem is the travel to & from (too far to drive). 2020 sucks.
I had to cancel for today's event due to travel and work restrictions in Mass. I just couldn't pull it off. This was my 2nd reschedule / cancel due to COVID. Ford performance actually just called me to offer me a November spot, even though I've exhausted my reschedule opportunities. I think the US will be in worse shape heading into the winter now that the kids are heading back to school.

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
I had to cancel for today's event due to travel and work restrictions in Mass. I just couldn't pull it off. This was my 2nd reschedule / cancel due to COVID. Ford performance actually just called me to offer me a November spot, even though I've exhausted my reschedule opportunities. I think the US will be in worse shape heading into the winter now that the kids are heading back to school.
Agree 100% with all of that. My brother & law & I went to Utah July 2019 on his VIN and this year was my turn to host him on my 2019 build/VIN. We were sched for April and bumped to Oct 15 for a 1 day this time. We saw each other the 1st time this year on Monday afternoon (1st time he even saw my car - they live only 30 min out by 495) and we decided no-go. My brother in law has big picture concerns as do I. My dad is 80 in Nov and is a stroke survivor with respiratory & other probs and my mom likewise health concerns so I just cant take the risk. Not to mention my furlough turned to a layoff in July so with a new job prospect taking mid days off to travel and then the isolation thing...we'll what a sh** year. Yes I too believe Winter is going to get bad -its logical.

Hopefully we'll see each other around Adam. I'm slowly adding miles & occasionally meeting other owners at a safe distance. Just met a new one Saturday when out for a walk - I could hear him approaching from a half mile away. I walked over to introduce myself & next thing we were riffing on mods and love of these cars. He's now on the forum per my suggestion. We ll I didn't mean to hijack this thread so I'll part with one pic (next post). Best regards man.

p.s. to anyone - has anyone posted a Charlotte hot lap video?

Last edited:

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
20200907_171856mini.jpg

The "do we go to Charlotte?" mtg & introduction of my Kona to like-minded family ; )

ADDGAMER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
20200907_171856mini.jpg

The "do we go to Charlotte?" mtg & introduction of my Kona to like-minded family ; )
It's really tough being responsible. You are correct with the big picture. I could have gone down on Wed, got a COVID test from a CVS, had a negative result by Saturday, returned to work as normal on Monday. But what if I caught it filling up at a gas station on the ride home, then went positive 7 days later...now I've infected countless people. I actually am getting to see my 100 year old Grandmother this Sunday for a few minutes... It's the first time since March. I'm just not willing to introduce any new variables at this point. My son and I do the local car shows with masks, extreme distancing etc. Tomorrow is the season closer up in Deerfield NH for the NH muscle car club. Stay safe.

Sponsored

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Yes, about the 16:22 mark of this video I made.
Thanks man....I thought it might be in there but scrolling it didn't jump out at me and I was being impatient. Much appreciate given I'm now not going. : (

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Thanks man....I thought it might be in there but scrolling it didn't jump out at me and I was being impatient. Much appreciate given I'm now not going. : (
I get it... it’s a painfully long video. Sorry to hear you’re not able to attend!

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
I get it... it’s a painfully long video. Sorry to hear you’re not able to attend!
Not painfully long - much appreciate by anyone interested. Yeah I'm bummed out. BTW - I still don't see it at 16:xx it looks like you driving your lead follow session. Or.....they have traffic for the hot laps now? In utah there were only 2 cars on track at same time for hot laps with them spaced 1/2 lap apart (you saw no one in front of behind).

flybipe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I am on a waiting list for an opening for the two-day with non-driving guest package. Should I wait and take my chances that I will get a class in 2021 before my June 6th expiration date, or should I just take the first available class, even if its a single day. Not sure how the allocation works once they open up 2021 dates, but this experience was one of the main reasons I bought my -R new...I don't want to miss it!

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Not painfully long - much appreciate by anyone interested. Yeah I'm bummed out. BTW - I still don't see it at 16:xx it looks like you driving your lead follow session.
Sorry, I suck.... that’s the only lap I had in the video. Unfortunately I only did the 1 day class, so it was only lead follow.
Sponsored