Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
Black wheels remind of black winter steel wheels with snow tires. (just like posted above)

Also, black wheels tend to just blend in too much...can't see anything about them.
Sponsored

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
I'll immediately admit I'm an old fart with my 52 and geniune dislike of all black wheels.

But note that I say all black wheels. Together with black tires in a black wheel well they create the optical effect of a black blob. Might as well put steel black winter wheels on the car, looks the same.

But... even a thin silver outer edge already makes a vast difference. And I can actually appreciate a well designed combination of silver or polished spokes with black inner edges and black barrell. Or charcoal like on the 20" optional foundry wheels on the 2015-17. I love those.

It's that style that looks like the next mainstream design trend if you take all the new cars at the IAA as a reference.
Again why would IAA be the trendsetter? Anyone can take pictures from the internet to fit their view/opinion. What people buy and drive sets the trend, not the options a manufacturer has or chooses to display. Pretty narrow minded view if you ask me, then again so is your view of black wheels.

Common really, all black wheels look like old school steelies... give me a break. I say old school steelies because so few models are offered with black steel wheels its not even worth talking about, and the ones that do are budget commuters anyways. Let's not forget there is nothing wrong with old school black steelies, they were on most every sleeper back in the day. Did a sleeper with black steelies drag you for your lunch money (or your girl) and you never got over it?

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Again why would IAA be the trendsetter? Anyone can take pictures from the internet to fit their view/opinion. What people buy and drive sets the trend, not the options a manufacturer has or chooses to display. Pretty narrow minded view if you ask me, then again so is your view of black wheels.

Common really, all black wheels look like old school steelies... give me a break. I say old school steelies because so few models are offered with black steel wheels its not even worth talking about, and the ones that do are budget commuters anyways. Let's not forget there is nothing wrong with old school black steelies, they were on most every sleeper back in the day. Did a sleeper with black steelies drag you for your lunch money (or your girl) and you never got over it?
I personally like black steelies...and wheels that emulate.
2018-Toyota-Camry-NASCAR-prototype-wheels.jpg

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Black wheels remind of black winter steel wheels with snow tires. (just like posted above)

Also, black wheels tend to just blend in too much...can't see anything about them.
Plenty of thin spoked black wheels out there that let you see a lot of rotor... no black blob there. I get the correlation to winter steelies with snow tires, it was common for sooo long I can understand the view. At the same time, to say all black wheels remind you of black winter steelies, I couldn't disagree more. Plenty of examples out there that do not have the black blob look.

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
I personally like black steelies...and wheels that emulate.
2018-Toyota-Camry-NASCAR-prototype-wheels.jpg
I'm with you, nothing wrong with the bare bones / purpose built look at all!

Sponsored

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
So for all the guys who dislike black wheels, do you feel the same way about gunmetal or a dark grey? I'm curious is the dislike just black wheels, or all painted wheels?

Painted vs polished / chrome definitely presents each car differently

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
So for all the guys who dislike black wheels, do you feel the same way about gunmetal or a dark grey? I'm curious is the dislike just black wheels, or all painted wheels?

Painted vs polished / chrome definitely presents each car differently
Gunmetal or grey wheels work on some colors.
Chrome? No thanks...unless chromed Cragars on a '60's classic!

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Gunmetal or grey wheels work on some colors.
Chrome? No thanks...unless chromed Cragars on a '60's classic!
I hear you on chrome, it is limited but I think you can go even earlier than '60s with the right build and stance. My '51 Plymouth with a 2" drop all around looks great IMO with chrome Cragars, would look like hell on stock ride height. Plus its' a V8 swap... gotta have Cragars. That and I inherited from my Dad that way when he passed, don't think I could change the look even if I didn't like it.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
I like gun metal or grey wheels. What I don't like about the black wheels is what's already been mentioned - from a distance the tire and wheel are just one big black mass, no detail at all until you get close. Just seems to take away something instead of add something. I think they look good when you're going for the all black murdered outl look, but look out of place otherwise.

BluFlash5x8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 5.0 LX, 2012 GT500, 13' GT500, 13 & 14 5.0...
Here is the video I was watching. I haven't seen the '18 Chevy Cluster so no idea if they changed it.

I'll let you be the judge of how it looks compared to Ford's.
Problem I have with the new Camaro gauges is they look like were pulled from a 2011-2015 F150 and the new Corvette gauges came out of a Caddy ATS.

Sponsored

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
The black with polished face is IMO the worst of both worlds. Go black, go polished, go gunmetal, but black with a polished face is ugly.
Agree - it takes the depth away and makes it look flat.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The black with polished face is IMO the worst of both worlds. Go black, go polished, go gunmetal, but black with a polished face is ugly.
Nope. The 2011 Performance Pack wheels were some of the best looking Mustang wheels of all time.

92338d1314227450-2011-v6-performance-package-6-speed-sterling-gray-mustang-2.jpg

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost