Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Lose the big GT 350R style wing and change to GT350 track wing.
Lose the black painted bumper.
Add a Cerviny Stalker style hood

I think that would then look great.
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Gotta break up that sea of orange with some black stripes.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
So, I finally saw the 2018 Mustang GT in Frankfurt. Here's what I think about it:

Bad news first: Sit inside the mustang was not allowed since it was too crowded on saturday. If they would let me in, they had to let in every intersted person...

Orange Fury looks really cool. If you are into a bright car that gets a lot of attention, this is the one for you. I like it more than the previous 2015 orange

The new wheels seems very small. Like 17 or 18 inch. Guess it would look better in black or on other color choises of the car. On OF I don't think they fit

The rearend seems very improved. The quad tips and new diffusor looks really good. But I'm missing a bit of the 3d look of the previous rear lights. The boomerang ones look more flat.

Interior seems nice with the leather center console and digital cockpit from what I could see from a meter away ;)

The frontend looks good, it's not much different to 2015 than it seems on picutres. When you look at at an good angle of the car, the front seems very aggresive. I really like the new headlights with the clear reflector, always though the orange eyeliner look was not good. But the upper grille is a bit too wide imho, when you look directly on the front it's a bit too much for my taste.

But we got tribar DRL and it is crazy bright. Don't look directly into it from the front :D

My big issue with the facelift is the hood. It really removes the whole aggressiveness of the whole frontend. It looks flat and just boring and more like it belong to an Audi A5. Why did they remove the powerdomes? Sorry Ford, but the hood is really the thing that ruins the front.

Another issue is the decision that only the upper grille is painted gloss black. It just looks bad when the lower grille and difussor is still plastic.Same on the rearend, nice glossy rearpanale but the new bigger diffusor is huge piece of plastic. It is really too expensive to color these few parts? Even Chevy is painting grilles and diffusor on their Camaro :frusty:

Alignment seems pretty good on the car. But the 3rd brake light still had the same isse almost every Mustang have with the window sitting too high on the right side. Ford says it's just a preproduction model, but don't expect Ford to fix alignment issues imho..

Overall I think the Facelift still is a nice looking car and who is interested in the new features like active exhaust, digital cockpit, etc will get an awesome car for the money. But honestly I'm pretty disappointed. In the end the Pre-Facelift just looks way better to me, so I will definitely not buy the facelift. The facelift lost a lot of the muscle car look I loved on the Mustang through the new flat hood. So I will look into buying an EU Camaro or Pre-Facelift Mustang next year. :shrug:

Here are a few pics. I posted a bit more here on the german forum
IMG_6460.jpg
IMG_6459.jpg
IMG_6376.jpg
IMG_6398.jpg
IMG_6380.jpg
IMG_6387.jpg
IMG_6396.jpg
IMG_6402.jpg
IMG_6405.jpg
IMG_6393.jpg
IMG_6399.jpg

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you, I love wheel finish, but yes they look smaller.

Good news on front end, be interesting to see how it looks with the front upper grill in matt black or just plastic like 2015 as there is a bit too much gloss / orange going on at the front.

Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Alignment seems pretty good on the car. But the 3rd brake light still had the same isse almost every Mustang have with the window sitting too high on the right side. Ford says it's just a preproduction model, but don't expect Ford to fix alignment issues imho..
Too bad. Totally fixable. Either there is an underlying technical problem (jig out of alignment or procedure order needs to change) or it is simply an attention to detail issue. The first is easier to fix, you send some engineers down to study it and come up with a solution. They may find that on the plant floor someone came up with a new better way that is in fact new and worse. The second is a little harder. You have make it clear that it has management attention. You measure it and track it, publicly. You tie bonuses, appraisal ratings to it (from the top down). If management doesn't care, nobody will care.

Sometimes you can solve problem 2 with a technical solution, that is - make it comparatively foolproof by improving your assembly tools, jigs, fasteners or assembly order. But only if you want to.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Lose the big GT 350R style wing and change to GT350 track wing.
Lose the black painted bumper.
Add a Cerviny Stalker style hood

I think that would then look great.

I don't think you get it.... ur missing what the picture is telling you.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think you get it.... ur missing what the picture is telling you.
Clearly not! Please explain. ;)

GT500 ?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dacia Logan MCV
That looks ace Ace. Now with factory fitted holes in the bonnet. Just what the doctor ordered. Love it.

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
My big issue with the facelift is the hood. It really removes the whole aggressiveness of the whole frontend. It looks flat and just boring and more like it belong to an Audi A5. Why did they remove the powerdomes? Sorry Ford, but the hood is really the thing that ruins the front
Hey [MENTION=10422]Ace[/MENTION] after going through your review (good read by the way), apart from a couple of little niggles, it seems your biggest issue and what pretty much puts you off the MY18 is the new hood. Could you not just wait for what the aftermarket comes up with to see if anything takes your fancy (I appreciate you shouldn't need to on a brand new car).

It just seems a shame to turn your back on it for a relatively simple mod (and isn't modding it to make it your own what it's really about?).

I don't mind it myself. Yes, it could be more aggressive, but this us the route I may take if I think it's needed

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Why would Ford use those rims on the Mustang show car for the Frankfurt Motor Show, jeez there are much better alloys in their armory?!

I think that there is someone from Camaro working on the inside to sabotage the Mustang!

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
Why would Ford use those rims on the Mustang show car for the Frankfurt Motor Show, jeez there are much better alloys in their armory?!

I think that there is someone from Camaro working on the inside to sabotage the Mustang!
Yep, those wheels are not for me

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Its hero spec, maximum performance, basically they are supposedly forged, lighter and will make the car faster.

But yes the design makes them look more like 17 or 18" wheels, they look kind of lost and the silver does not work well with orange, needs to be gunmetal or black with orange.

The orange car doing the rounds with black roof and black PP wheels looks much better!

However for review purposes these dinky looking wheels will put in better lap times and acceleration times, which is what Ford wants, hence hero spec.

I might be changing my order now though and just delete custom pack completely and simply go with:
- Base V8 fastback
- 10-speed
- Black trim / black PP wheels
- Sync3 / Nav
- NO SHAKER
- Magneride
- Recaros
- Black roof

Will probably save a few pennies not going for custom pack 4 and deleting the shaker system and I am also not wanting the big performance spoiler either, looks naff.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
The orange car doing the rounds with black roof and black PP wheels looks much better!

However for review purposes these dinky looking wheels will put in better lap times and acceleration times, which is what Ford wants, hence hero spec.
Agreed the black roof and black PP wheels look great. Thanks and noted on the Hero spec but I would gone with aesthetics over performance at a motor show where the car is static.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed the black roof and black PP wheels look great. Thanks and noted on the Hero spec but I would gone with aesthetics over performance at a motor show where the car is static.
Agreed, but I suspect the car will be handed over to the press for review purposes and performance testing.

My plan with MY18 is touch different than it was MY15, power mods shall come via just headers and tune.

The plan is to reduce weight hence:
- GT 350 R seat delete
- Recaro seats (optioned at build)
- Lightweight forged nice wheels, either my current Ispiri or 6GR 5 spokes 19"
- GT 350 R brake kit
- Shaker delete (no sub, less speakers, gotta be good for a few lbs)

Thats its, I want this car to do sub 8s 0-100mph and consistent sub 4s to 60mph as that will make it one very rapid car, essentially supercharged S550.1 territory too 100mph which for a daily driven road car is a lot of performance you can use on the road in all weathers and very reliable, perfectly safe to go autobahn cruising in at wide open throttle for sustained periods.
Sponsored