Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
So it will automatically blip the throttle on downshifts if mode selected?
It would, in theory, work like the MT that Nissan/Mini/BMW/others? have already implemented. It was discussed briefly earlier, but it would work basically like this:

The on board computer is fully aware of your gear ratios, traveling speed, current gear, etc. When you depress the clutch and select a gear (whether it be first gear from a stop, or downshifting to 3rd gear while moving), the computer will instantly determine what RPM that the engine needs to be moving at in order to match the selected gear at said speed. You could, in theory, dump the clutch at this point and smoothly transition into the selected gear - though normal clutch operation would still be recommended.

The selling point is that it allows every driver to instantly master downshifts (save your synchros), but the benefits go so much more beyond that. Combine the technology with hill hold assist, and you have a system that makes starting from stop not only foolproof (throttle input is automatically provided from a stop without touching the gas), but also a system where stop and go traffic in a MT becomes much more enjoyable (you could, in theory, negotiate a traffic jam with just the brake and clutch pedal).

When a car has this technology, the only way to stall it would be to put the car in gear, release the clutch, and slam on the brake (or pull hand brake). Otherwise, the computer is going to try to input required minimum throttle to match RPMs to the gear you're in.

With all of that said, I'll believe it when I see it. So far, it's only hearsay that Ford has put it into the new MT transmission, as all documents that mention auto rev matching are related to the new 10Spt Auto.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
It would, in theory, work like the MT that Nissan/Mini/BMW/others? have already implemented. It was discussed briefly earlier, but it would work basically like this:

The on board computer is fully aware of your gear ratios, traveling speed, current gear, etc. When you depress the clutch and select a gear (whether it be first gear from a stop, or downshifting to 3rd gear while moving), the computer will instantly determine what RPM that the engine needs to be moving at in order to match the selected gear at said speed. You could, in theory, dump the clutch at this point and smoothly transition into the selected gear - though normal clutch operation would still be recommended.

The selling point is that it allows every driver to instantly master downshifts (save your synchros), but the benefits go so much more beyond that. Combine the technology with hill hold assist, and you have a system that makes starting from stop not only foolproof (throttle input is automatically provided from a stop without touching the gas), but also a system where stop and go traffic in a MT becomes much more enjoyable (you could, in theory, negotiate a traffic jam with just the brake and clutch pedal).

When a car has this technology, the only way to stall it would be to put the car in gear, release the clutch, and slam on the brake (or pull hand brake). Otherwise, the computer is going to try to input required minimum throttle to match RPMs to the gear you're in.

With all of that said, I'll believe it when I see it. So far, it's only hearsay that Ford has put it into the new MT transmission, as all documents that mention auto rev matching are related to the new 10Spt Auto.
Of course, those that want it can always buy this...

https://auto-blip.com/auto-blip

[ame]

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
Of course, those that want it can always buy this...
Ok...that's kind of cool. It probably doesn't work quite as well as a system fully integrated by the manufacturer, but definitely nice option to have.

Edit: After watching the video - it's neat technology, but not really the rev-matching that Nissan/BMW implement. The auto blip does exactly what the name says - it blips the throttle when you apply clutch + brake + downshift.

Rev matching knows exactly how your engine / transmission mesh together, and holds revs based on the scenario that you present to the car's computer.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
All the pictures are on the previous page
I know, I just thought the reasoning was hilarious, since we supply key systems to most of the automotive industry.

Sponsored

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
?IMG=USC80FOC052C01306.jpg

?IMG=USC80FOC052C01309.jpg

Sponsored

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
In an attempt to get this thread back on topic ( :p ) .....here's a fantastic new photo. At least I think it is! :)

That particular angle kinda highlights something I've been thinking about the 2018 facelift for a while. The design isn't cohesive anymore.

In the front you've got these sharp angles. Lots of straight lines and geometric shapes. Then from the front wheels back, that gives way to the curvier lines and rounded shapes.

The 2015-2017 face matched the rest of the car better. I don't hate the 2018 facelift, but it seems like it belongs on a different car.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
I don't hate the 2018 facelift, but it seems like it belongs on a different car.
My gut tells me that this design is going to help Ford transition better into the S650 without completely shocking the public. This refresh may seem like a bit of a miss-match, though will likely grow on the majority of drivers.

I suspect the front end on the next gen will share similarities to this model, and will incorporate similar lines to the rear of the car.

...but I could be very wrong :D

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
And here we go again! And again! and again!:repost:

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
That particular angle kinda highlights something I've been thinking about the 2018 facelift for a while. The design isn't cohesive anymore.

In the front you've got these sharp angles. Lots of straight lines and geometric shapes. Then from the front wheels back, that gives way to the curvier lines and rounded shapes.

The 2015-2017 face matched the rest of the car better. I don't hate the 2018 facelift, but it seems like it belongs on a different car.
The hood-line looks like how human abs transition down to the crotichital region.

Now that you have that in your head, it's going to stay with you every-time you see it. You can thank me later.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
My gut tells me that this design is going to help Ford transition better into the S650 without completely shocking the public. This refresh may seem like a bit of a miss-match, though will likely grow on the majority of drivers.

I suspect the front end on the next gen will share similarities to this model, and will incorporate similar lines to the rear of the car.

...but I could be very wrong :D
I agree.
Sponsored