Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP
How is my attitude shitty? Ford says one thing without proof, I've seen other things. Ford also hurt themselves with the recent GT350 cooling issues, and Focus RS cooling and gasket issues. I'm not taking them at their word anymore until I see proof directly from them or actual third party verification.

Just because I'm raising valid points that you don't like doesn't mean I have a shitty attitude.
I can see it both ways, but not because of the perceived low build quality for Ford's "track ready" cars. I can see your side only in that one could take Dave Pericak's words as marketing, instead of merely relaying their findings from internal testing.

However, I am inclined to believe that with a better chassis and suspension, similar motor output, and only a slight increase in weight, the S550 GTPP is faster than the Boss 302 around a road course in the hands of a skilled driver.
Sponsored

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
How is my attitude shitty? Ford says one thing without proof, I've seen other things. Ford also hurt themselves with the recent GT350 cooling issues, and Focus RS cooling and gasket issues. I'm not taking them at their word anymore until I see proof directly from them or actual third party verification.

Just because I'm raising valid points that you don't like doesn't mean I have a shitty attitude.
Please name an automobile company that hasn't had hardware issues? Because it sounds like you not only don't trust Ford but the entire industry altogether if you actually believe your own statement.

The issue he is raising isn't whether your bias on the issue is implicit or explicit, but rather there being a bias altogether. Now you shouldn't always take statements supported with evidence at 100% settled but your ability to ignore evidence to justify your reasoning for "more evidence" is apparent. This is why your point being a valid one is questionable.

raidn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Perf Pack + 1968 302 Coupe
As an owner of all three, it's actually

GT350>S550 GT PP>Boss 302
I'm currently bouncing back and forth between ordering a 2018 GT PP with magnetic ride on day 1 in 3 weeks, getting a 2013 Boss 302, and just getting a used 16 GT PP. Planning on a couple track days and about 10 autocross days per year, plus spirited Canyon runs.

While the S550 may be technically superior to the Boss 302, I don't get the same feeling of excitement from a S550 GT. Has anyone who has put exhaust and stiffer suspension on their S550 compared it to the experience of the Boss? Can I get the S550 to be as RAW as the Boss? Thats my question.

Currently leaning towards the 2018 with Magnetic Ride but that changes almost daily. I have Magnetic dampers in my Audi S3 and they are amazing and I want them on my next Mustang.

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP
I'm currently bouncing back and forth between ordering a 2018 GT PP with magnetic ride on day 1 in 3 weeks, getting a 2013 Boss 302, and just getting a used 16 GT PP. Planning on a couple track days and about 10 autocross days per year, plus spirited Canyon runs.

While the S550 may be technically superior to the Boss 302, I don't get the same feeling of excitement from a S550 GT. Has anyone who has put exhaust and stiffer suspension on their S550 compared it to the experience of the Boss? Can I get the S550 to be as RAW as the Boss? That's my question.

Currently leaning towards the 2018 with Magnetic Ride but that changes almost daily. I have Magnetic dampers in my Audi S3 and they are amazing and I want them on my next Mustang.
Ford did wonders with the Boss to make it as refined a car as its contemporaries from Europe while on track, but at the end of the day, it is still an unrefined car. You can only go so far with a chassis (D2C) that, at the time of the release of the Boss 302, was 7 years old, and D2C itself was loosely based on a chassis (DEW98) that was approaching 14 years old. The S550 is a much more refined car in the chassis and suspension alone, much less the revisions to the Coyote and MT-82 to create a smoother powerplant and drivetrain. The S550 is all around a smoother car.

While my S197 car wasn't a Boss 302, far from it, it was much easier to approach, and maintain, limit driving than my S550 car. I could get to the limit of my Pony Package quite easily, and it was pretty decent handling for what it was. However, I could also spin out and lock the brakes much easier than I can on my current car. I have yet to approach the limit of my S550, even with spirited driving. That's just my anecdotal evidence for the improvement in the chassis and suspension, though.

For the 2018 revision, if the improvements to the engine and drivetrain are as good as Ford would have us believe, it really is going to make the S550 a better, smoother driving car. It's also going to make the S197 show its age that much more.

Sponsored

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
2018 Ford Mustang GT - HP / TQ Numbers

We don't know anything yet. So we don't know how much better than the 2015-2017 S550's. Also we don't know if all the changes: Engine, Transmission, Suspension will bring in some new glitches / problems. The 2018 Refresh is a big
question mark at this point, heck we don't even have pricing. On paper it all sounds great, exterior wise not a fan of the front fascia. But heck I am sure the aftermarket guys will profit from that Ford blunder. Everyone take a deep breath,
Order banks will open in July, models will show up in the show rooms, popular car magazines will test drive & review the heck out of it. Buyers after they get their 2018's will rave or fume about what is great or wrong about the car. In the end history will judge the 2018 Refresh. As for me - I am one week away from
picking up my 2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium - after a seven year drought without one - boxed in a Ford Flex suburban grocery getting, teenage transport.
So my exit from hell is a week away. :cheers:

:thumbsup:

:ford:

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
While the S550 may be technically superior to the Boss 302, I don't get the same feeling of excitement from a S550 GT.
You could always weld a thick steel beam between the two rear spindles in the S550 to regain that solid rear axle "excitement". ;)

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
The angle of that shot makes it look pretty nice. Color fits those wheels and convertible form pretty well.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I like em. Not that the current 20s are bad. Like them also.

Dinosoar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dinosoarmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mustang GT (Track Car Only); 2019 Jetta GLI
Vehicle Showcase
Prices, Packages, and Power!!!

Is it me, or is anyone else busting at the seams waiting for Ford to release data on pricing, packages, and power!!....and other order information?! It has to be any day now if the "intel" previously reported that order banks open up on July 17th. I now that's over three weeks away but how long can they keep that info...and why??? C'mon Ford, give it up!!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
New 20s look like truck wheels. The current ones are beautiful.

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
so, i just saw the 2018 5.0 f150 #s were released, +10hp, +13 tq, hopefully the mustang gets a lot more..

[ame] 3:41 in the video

#s seem low for the whole DI/PI motor no?

raidn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Perf Pack + 1968 302 Coupe
Is it me, or is anyone else busting at the seams waiting for Ford to release data on pricing, packages, and power!!....and other order information?! It has to be any day now if the "intel" previously reported that order banks open up on July 17th. I now that's over three weeks away but how long can they keep that info...and why??? C'mon Ford, give it up!!
I'm checking multiple times per day at this point. I'm right there with you man. Really leaning towards ordering the '18 over getting a heavily discounted '17. I want the magnetic dampers and I'm willing to pay for them.
Sponsored