Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Being better doesn't stop at horsepower. Someone already said this, for posterity: The S550 is actually slower than the S197, but pretty much everyone can agree that the S550 is the better car - right?
This is total horseshit any everyone knows it. The two are more or less a dead heat down the 1/4 mile. In the turns, the S550 absolutely demolishes the S197.

GT350>Boss 302>S550 GT

No question.
Everywhere I have seen shows the S550 turns better lap times than the Boss 302. While the Boss is faster in a straight line, the chassis and suspension on the S550 is just way too much for the boss to handle in the turns.
Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
... I have a question.

What you ever sat in any mustang made in the last 30-ish years, before the S550? :barf:
I've owned all 3. S550 GT makes a better daily than the Boss but it's lacking the thrill.

Everywhere I have seen shows the S550 turns better lap times than the Boss 302. While the Boss is faster in a straight line, the chassis and suspension on the S550 is just way too much for the boss to handle in the turns.
There's been 1 actual comparison, and it was suspect at best. Boss was running on worn tires, and there's no actual video of the run. I'm thinking it was just another article during the hype train when the S550 launched. At the Autox and few track events I went to in my Boss, it was a dead heat. And I'm not a fantastic driver.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I've owned all 3. S550 GT makes a better daily than the Boss but it's lacking the thrill.

There's been 1 actual comparison, and it was suspect at best. Boss was running on worn tires, and there's no actual video of the run. I'm thinking it was just another article during the hype train when the S550 launched. At the Autox and few track events I went to in my Boss, it was a dead heat. And I'm not a fantastic driver.
Worn tires and no video. Gotcha.

You do realize Ford bench-marked the Boss 302 for the S550. It was designed and tested to Best the Boss around the track.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Worn tires and no video. Gotcha.

You do realize Ford bench-marked the Boss 302 for the S550. It was designed and tested to Best the Boss around the track.
They did bench-mark it. However compromises were made to make it comfier. Please find actual quotes with the time difference. I've never seen any.

Have you driven a Boss?

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
They did bench-mark it. However compromises were made to make it comfier. Please find actual quotes with the time difference. I've never seen any.

Have you driven a Boss?
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/17/2015-ford-mustang-specs-435-hp/

"We set out to create an all-new Mustang that would go, handle and stop better than any previous Mustang, while also being a better all-around daily driver," said Pericak.
The results speak for themselves – during track testing, the 2015 Mustang GT with performance package consistently beat the lap times of the 2012-2013 Mustang Boss 302"

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a8332/2015-ford-mustang-by-the-numbers/

"When equipped with the Performance Pack, the 2015 Mustang GT becomes "consistently faster" around a track than the departed Boss 302. This comes thanks to numerous changes, including a lightweight aluminum hood/fender combo, the long awaited IRS and Torsen rear, and new control arm-mounted deflectors that create brake-cooling air channels, a la the Boss 302 Laguna Seca."

http://www.mustang6g.com/?p=2798

"In a recent media review, Dave Pericak, chief engineer of the 2015 Mustang, provided this morsel of how the 2015 Mustang GT with Performance Package stacks up against the 2012-13 Boss 302.

Pericak reveals that the 2015 Performance Package GT is 1.5 seconds faster than the Boss 302 around Michigan’s Grattan Raceway, a pretty significant difference around this particular course (or any course)."

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550

"We set out to create an all-new Mustang that would go, handle and stop better than any previous Mustang, while also being a better all-around daily driver," said Pericak.
The results speak for themselves – during track testing, the 2015 Mustang GT with performance package consistently beat the lap times of the 2012-2013 Mustang Boss 302"

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a8332/2015-ford-mustang-by-the-numbers/

"When equipped with the Performance Pack, the 2015 Mustang GT becomes "consistently faster" around a track than the departed Boss 302. This comes thanks to numerous changes, including a lightweight aluminum hood/fender combo, the long awaited IRS and Torsen rear, and new control arm-mounted deflectors that create brake-cooling air channels, a la the Boss 302 Laguna Seca."

"In a recent media review, Dave Pericak, chief engineer of the 2015 Mustang, provided this morsel of how the 2015 Mustang GT with Performance Package stacks up against the 2012-13 Boss 302.

Pericak reveals that the 2015 Performance Package GT is 1.5 seconds faster than the Boss 302 around Michigan’s Grattan Raceway, a pretty significant difference around this particular course (or any course)."
Those pesky facts....always getting in the way:lol:

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT

That last one is the only relevant one, I'd love to see their videos. Thanks for the sources.

Those pesky facts....always getting in the way:lol:
Hardly facts. No proof. Still no video. Ford lost it's credibility with me with the GT350 base/tech pack disaster.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
That last one is the only relevant one, I'd love to see their videos. Thanks for the sources.

Hardly facts. No proof. Still no video. Ford lost it's credibility with me with the GT350 base/tech pack disaster.
So everything has to have a video for you to believe it? OK...:lol::thumbsup: He has sited more proof than you have in regards to your dispute.

Sponsored

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Ford lost ALL credit with me, after they took 50 years of Mustang, and flushed it down the toilet, when they built the S550 Euro box, and tried to call it a Mustang.Now that is some real $hit.And PS the S197 is still faster,WHY because it didn't gain 200 LBS like the S550.:doh::amen:

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
So everything has to have a video for you to believe it? OK...:lol::thumbsup: He has sited more proof than you have in regards to your dispute.
What's wrong with asking for video proof? LOL. Why is asking for evidence bad? I'm verbally disputing based on my experience in each car, and Ford's word right now is rough because of "the most track ready Mustang ever" not being very track ready unless you checked the right box.

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
But it's so much easier to criticize rather than provide evidence :headbonk:

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
What's wrong with asking for video proof? LOL. Why is asking for evidence bad? I'm verbally disputing based on my experience in each car, and Ford's word right now is rough because of "the most track ready Mustang ever" not being very track ready unless you checked the right box.
Absolutely nothing wrong with additional verification, but with your shitty attitude you will just continually dismiss whatever evidence is presented to you.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Absolutely nothing wrong with additional verification, but with your shitty attitude you will just continually dismiss whatever evidence is presented to you.
How is my attitude shitty? Ford says one thing without proof, I've seen other things. Ford also hurt themselves with the recent GT350 cooling issues, and Focus RS cooling and gasket issues. I'm not taking them at their word anymore until I see proof directly from them or actual third party verification.

Just because I'm raising valid points that you don't like doesn't mean I have a shitty attitude.
Sponsored