Sponsored

OEM rubber differential bushing repair. Anyone done it?

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
My left side rear diff bushing developed a tear. I thought the Steeda red diff inserts would be a good fix but I'm having a hard time with all the extra driveline noise and clunking that this kit has introduced. So much that it takes away from the driving experience. Removing the red inserts will likely be my only option. The problem will be dealing with the damaged and weak OEM bushings.

A common trick to repair bushings is to use 3M 08609 window urethane sealant. I have not attempted this but am considering it now. We know that the OEM bushings are not replaceable unless you do a whole new IRS cradle. Great design Ford. :curse:

The black window sealant cures to a 50 shore durometer. Softer than the 80 shore Steeda red inserts so noise should be less. I would be filling in the voids in the bushing so it could end up being nearly as noisy/clunky. I would only be able to get the caulking gun to the rear bushings. I would also upgrade all the bolts so the threads are not in shear.

Anyone attempted something like this? Any advice is appreciated. I do not want to drop the pumpkin as that is a level of effort I do not have patience, time, or room for. Single father = single car garage.
Sponsored

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
It was my experience that when I replaced the vertical links the diffential clunks got much worse until I put in the steeda black bushings. I think all the “stop the hop” stuff has to be installed together or something new will clink and clunk.

Gluing bushings feels completely doomed.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I think the best solution is to actually ignore it until you're ready to properly fix it. Either replace the bushings, or swap to a used GT350 subframe. I'm doing the latter. Apparently the 350 subframe doesn't have the voids in the bushings which makes them far more durable.

In theory this could be warrantied by a dealer as well.

Alerch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I went full send and replaced the cradle and diff bushings with solid alum ones from BMR.. The rear of the car feels some much more predictable and planted to the ground. That is always an option as well...

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I think the best solution is to actually ignore it until you're ready to properly fix it. Either replace the bushings, or swap to a used GT350 subframe. I'm doing the latter. Apparently the 350 subframe doesn't have the voids in the bushings which makes them far more durable.

In theory this could be warrantied by a dealer as well.
It could have been warrantied. If I hadn't touched the IRS. I have the BMR cradle lock outs on there and I know they would say, sorry you modified it and that caused the bushing to fail. I have red Steeda diff inserts on there to prevent any further damage. I just think they transmit too much noise through the chassis now. The front ones are making most of the noise. There was barely an increase in noise with only the rear inserts on. But I was thinking that I could be stressing the front mounts without having all four inserts installed.

Although a lot of work, I do like the idea of swapping to a GT350 or 500 cradle. I just don't have the space to do the work. Also being in Canada, used parts are impossible to come by without importing from the US. A new one from the dealer with tax is just shy of $2K. I will live with the red inserts or fill the bushings with 3M urethane before going that route.
Sponsored