Sponsored

Occasional Clutch "Hoo!" Noise. Throwout Bearing?

Gor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, Kona Blue
Hi there,

I have a 2019 GT with manual transmission.
Occasionally (maybe 50-60% of the time) when pulling away from a stop, the clutch gives out a noise which can be only described as a "hoo!" when you reach the biting point.
The vehicle has approx. 18,000 miles.
Has anyone had this happen before?
It's been doing it for 1000s of miles. Someone suggested it may be something like the throwout bearing lubrication.

I'm here for suggestions as to what to do. I have an extended warranty which runs out next May so if I need to get it in, I'll do that.

Cheers!
-Gordon.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Magony15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP Base/Prem, 2009 Ram 1500
Mine makes that noise occasionally while engaging the clutch. It's either my McLeod slave cylinder or Exedy Hyper single. Not many miles on mine either.

Reactions: Gor
OP
OP
Gor

Gor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, Kona Blue
Oh awesome! Since its done this for 1000s of miles I figured it couldn't be something too serious. It's not a loud or alarming noise... just like I said, a little "hoo!" as the clutch bites and you start to move. Some days it does it quite often, some days it doesn't do it at all.
Happy to hear that others have the same experience, too. Not overly familiar with twin-disc clutches, but happy to learn!

Thanks!!

petronix

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
1972 Vette, 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T, 2000 Miata, 2017 Escape
Same happens with my 2019 Bullitt when I let the last bit of clutch travel out too slowly with even a bit of enthusiast throttle. Let the clutch out faster after rolling and should be no problem.

I am not a fan of the twin disk clutch for street driving. Probably good for racing over single disk though.

OP
OP
Gor

Gor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, Kona Blue
Hi all,

I'm back... nothing has changed, but I wanted to attach a video where I pull away a few times so you can hear the noise.
The noise isn't there all the time. Sometimes I can go days without even hearing it, and other days (like today) it makes the noise on about 50-60% of the time.

Surely this can't be right?
Any ideas?
It seems to happen more with softer takeoffs, which maybe would make sense? On a hard takeoff there isn't much time for the clutch to slip before fully engaging.

The car hasn't been through a lot of rough starts, I don't abuse the clutch, and there are no actual real physical symptoms (like slipping or whatever)... just that noise.

Sponsored