Sponsored

Obsolescence to Obsession – Tales of the Rented Mule (FPRS GT350 Track Attack #14)

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
I guess I'm now committed to finding the right race shell seats..... the Recaros found a new home and are on their way to a forum member.

I took Kevin's (@honeybadger) advice and looked at Sparco, so now I'm torn between their Pro Adv and the OMP HTE-R. The Circuit was a bit too small for me, even in my now 80lbs less frame, but the Pro Adv is a nice fit, as is the OMP. More to come on selection and mounting options.

Bye-bye Recaros - thanks for doing a great job for me and so many prior drivers of #14!

6.jpg
Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
....... and now this morning, it looks like this. This is part of my "baby steps" approach to make some subtle updates before going all out with wings, extended splitters, dive planes and such.

For now, the "swing" should give me a bit more balance, in conjunction with an R splitter, and allow me to focus on other parts of the car this season.

Swing Installed.jpg
Ah, new radiator support to balance also :)

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah, new radiator support to balance also :)
Took me a little searching to figure out the reference, but I think I found it. If you mean to add the '19/'20 core support that had provisions for hood pins (see pic below), that'd be a big, big negative.

But, there are a few hood perforations coming in the Mule's future - stay tuned.

19 Core Support.JPG

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Took me a little searching to figure out the reference, but I think I found it. If you mean to add the '19/'20 core support that had provisions for hood pins (see pic below), that'd be a big, big negative.

But, there are a few hood perforations coming in the Mule's future - stay tuned.

19 Core Support.JPG
I mean the smaller grill opening designed for more front downforce to match the R wing and the SWING

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mean the smaller grill opening designed for more front downforce to match the R wing and the SWING
Oh that thing. Yep.... one of my favorite low-buck scores.

Apparently the grille insert ships from the vendor to Flat Rock with the badge in place and when one arrives without a badge, it's thrown in the "seconds" bin. I found a guy who sells factory surplus type parts and he just happened to have one of these badge-less inserts for just 49 bucks!

Grille.jpg

Grille Tag.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's been fun gathering all the parts for the initial season of track-days and the final pieces are starting to fall into place. Soon I'll have to kick the Z28 off the lift and roll the Mule in place for a more thorough inspection and a few more upgrades......

Like this R splitter.

R Splitter.jpg

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where'd you score that?
A very kind friend stored it for me for the past three years..... sort of the "prodigal splitter."

For everyone else not in on the back-story, look closely at the note on the bag zip tied to it. "JR265 splitter hdwe" - which just happens to be the chassis number of the base R I bought new back in '18 and which is now owned by @Goz To 11. He was kind enough to sell this one, which was his spare, back to me.

Nice to have pals like this!

Last edited:

azshelby350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2016 Shelby GT350 "FPRS #9"
Oh that thing. Yep.... one of my favorite low-buck scores.

Apparently the grille insert ships from the vendor to Flat Rock with the badge in place and when one arrives without a badge, it's thrown in the "seconds" bin. I found a guy who sells factory surplus type parts and he just happened to have one of these badge-less inserts for just 49 bucks!
Grille Tag.jpg
I love how Ford still uses “SVT” even tho they abandoned that group name

Sponsored
OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What’s the plan for racing this year? HPDE, NASA, SCCA?
Hey Spencer -

For this season, just a bunch of track-days. I'm already signed up for most of the events I plan on attending in '22, which include Road America, Gingerman, Autobahn Country Club, Blackhawk Farms, and a big trip down south to Barber Motorsport Park later in the year.

None of these events are NASA or SCCA sanctioned - mostly just the larger track-day organizers such as Chin and MVP Tracktime, among a couple others.

Future plans may include running some TT with it, but certainly not for this year and maybe not even next.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I guess I'm now committed to finding the right race shell seats..... the Recaros found a new home and are on their way to a forum member.

I took Kevin's (@honeybadger) advice and looked at Sparco, so now I'm torn between their Pro Adv and the OMP HTE-R. The Circuit was a bit too small for me, even in my now 80lbs less frame, but the Pro Adv is a nice fit, as is the OMP. More to come on selection and mounting options.

Bye-bye Recaros - thanks for doing a great job for me and so many prior drivers of #14!

6.jpg
The Circuit 2 seat is the same seat, just a bit wider. Is that the one you tried? I need to pick one up for my passenger seat

Tractor Junk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 16 GT350 FPRS #3, 2014 Boss 302S
Hey Spencer -

For this season, just a bunch of track-days. I'm already signed up for most of the events I plan on attending in '22, which include Road America, Gingerman, Autobahn Country Club, Blackhawk Farms, and a big trip down south to Barber Motorsport Park later in the year.

None of these events are NASA or SCCA sanctioned - mostly just the larger track-day organizers such as Chin and MVP Tracktime, among a couple others.

Future plans may include running some TT with it, but certainly not for this year and maybe not even next.
Send me the info for when you run Barber, it's on my list this year.

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
Barber would be fun. It would be cool to have a Track Tour reunion somewhere.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Spencer -

can I ask which group you will be running with at Road America? I plan on being there in June with the Northwoods Shelby Group
Sponsored