Sponsored

o, what are your thoughts on a 4 cylinder turbo and 6 cylinder twin turbo 'Stang

lengnert

Threads
Reaction score
There have been a number of insights on the next gen Mustang (hence this site).

I am hoping for some weight savings and IRS (and would not be opposed to an LRA option for the dragsters).

There has been talk about a 4 cylinder model, too.

Having been a very big fan of the mid-80's SVO Mustang, I will personally have no issues with Ford bringing back some version of it for the next Mustang.

As much as the current V6 model is THE performance bargain in the pony/sports coupe segment; a modern SVO (4 cyl. turbo) type model on the new platform with IRS and possibly "Track Pack" parts would be a spectacular car in my opinion.

What say you all?
Sponsored

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
One thing. Why would you need two turbos for an inline four?

blackstallion4209

The Stallion
Threads
Reaction score
I'm not opposed to a 4-cyl base Mustang. I haven't really cared too much about turbo-4s replacing v6s, as long as they have the same (or more) power with a reasonable F/E gain. What I am against is a ttv6 replacing v8s. So to sum up a long story lol, I accept the idea as long as power remains similar and a FE gain is seen. I figure an efficient base model helps keep the 5.0 in the GT.

Grimm

Threads
Reaction score
I'm not opposed to a 4-cyl base Mustang. I haven't really cared too much about turbo-4s replacing v6s, as long as they have the same (or more) power with a reasonable F/E gain. What I am against is a ttv6 replacing v8s. So to sum up a long story lol, I accept the idea as long as power remains similar and a FE gain is seen. I figure an efficient base model helps keep the 5.0 in the GT.
Totally feel the same way! As long as they keep an NA V8 I'm happy with whatever they decide to power the entry level models with. Not having a big displacement Mustang model just feels plain wrong.

I will say this though. While a turbo 4 banger might be the most fuel efficient powerplant for the entry model, it won't sound as good as a turbo v6 would. I can't imagine a pony/muscle car like the Mustang sounding like some of the turbo 4 cylinder cars hitting the market these days.

Sponsored

Rev

Threads
Reaction score
I don't think lengnert meant a twin turbo 4-cyl. I think he meant a twin turbo V6. I'm all for a turbo 4-cyl as the entry level model. A naturally aspirated V8 needs to be the higher model but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Ecoboost V6 in there and the V8 getting the top trim. I think the Ecoboost V6 will probably be quicker off the line with the added torque. The Taurus SHO feels as if it has a diesel engine under the hood with how hard and how strongly it pulls, and with that engine in a significantly lighter chassis, it will be a rocket. I'd take the V8 for the track option instead though. I agree that turbo 4-cyls don't sound too good, but with the right exhaust tuning they can sound decent. Its about time they gave the Mustang IRS.

OP
OP

lengnert

Threads
Reaction score
Well, thanks for the back up Rev.

I was going over some of the ideas I've seen floating around for an EcoBoost Mustang for next gen. The idea of a 4 cyl. turbo AND a twin turbo V6 came up.

I titled this thread improperly to state that and then spent the text I typed focusing on an SVO 4 cyl. turbo type car.

My bad.

Continue.

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Anyone know how tuneable the Ecoboost turbo 4 is? Wonder how much more boost it can take and how strong the block is. That's the one silver lining with FI, is much easier to get power out of.

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
I am pretty sure it has forged internals, so that says something.

Sponsored

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Not 17.3 PSI like the Hyundai Sonata... I can tell you that.

Really I have no idea, but I do know that it uses a Borg Warner K03 turbocharger.

EDIT: Upon further research I found this:

C&D said:
The 2.0-liter EcoBoost is a modified version of the naturally aspirated 2.0-liter Duratec found in the 2012 Focus, and it carries over that engine’s direct injection, twin independent variable camshaft timing (Ti-VCT), and balance shaft. To ensure the turbo version could handle the max boost of 16 psi, Ford strengthened the aluminum block and crankshaft and added forged connecting rods and piston-cooling jets. The EcoBoost’s unique cylinder head integrates the exhaust manifold to save weight.
Link

groundnpounder

Not 17.3 PSI like the Hyundai Sonata... I can tell you that.

Really I have no idea, but I do know that it uses a Borg Warner K03 turbocharger.

EDIT: Upon further research I found this:

Originally Posted by C&D
The 2.0-liter EcoBoost is a modified version of the naturally aspirated 2.0-liter Duratec found in the 2012 Focus, and it carries over that engine’s direct injection, twin independent variable camshaft timing (Ti-VCT), and balance shaft. To ensure the turbo version could handle the max boost of 16 psi, Ford strengthened the aluminum block and crankshaft and added forged connecting rods and piston-cooling jets. The EcoBoost’s unique cylinder head integrates the exhaust manifold to save weight.

Link
Sounds heavily fortified great to see. So that sounds like the factory boost is 16 PSI.

Coyotestang13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang 5.0 MT82 3.73
Totally feel the same way! As long as they keep an NA V8 I'm happy with whatever they decide to power the entry level models with.
The only thing I care about is the GT getting the 5.0 V8 n/a. I would like to see the 2.3 turbo go into a SVO model. I really don't care what the base engine is cause I will never buy it. I don't see where the 3.7 305hp+ engine and 3.5 Ecoboost would fit in the lineup that has turbo 4's, possible nano V6 turbo, and the 5.0 V8.

73Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
It will rile some of the natives, but IMO is Ford is going to successfully push EcoBoost in the Mustang they'll have to take some chances. My two cents? I think the next generation GT should use a slightly smaller take on the EB V-6, something more like 3.0-3.2L with a 7-speed manual in the 350-365hp range. Take off the stripes and turn the Boss 302 into the replacement for the current GT that lets you get the 5.0L V-8 for a premium over where the V-6TT GT sits. It's where they are headed anyway, so my vote is to just rip the scab off and get it over with now. Yeah, it will draw some ire, but if you aren't ticking off the purists every now and again then you aren't doing your job.

Vickstang

Modern day SVO? I say bring it on! Forced induction is all the rage these days and almost every car takes well to having its boost turned up. Like the OP said, a modern SVO type model on the S550 platform with IRS and track upgrades would be sweet.

Would be sad to see V6 go though. Gonna be wierd with a 4 cylinder and 8 cylinder models only.
Sponsored