Sponsored

Not sure what I think about this?? Mid engine Mustang?

65CrownV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/PP1
Corvair is "rear engine". Still has a back seat and gets really tail-happy in a tight turn.
Well, you're partially correct. The Corvair, as built by Chevrolet, was a rear engined with a back seat. In the hands of an unskilled driver it could get tail-happy. There was a conversion developed by Ted Trevor in the late '60s that would allow the installation of a Chevy V-8 in front of the transaxle, turning it into a mid-engined, we'll balanced, performance car.
Sponsored

SHOdaddy68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium w/Recaro
Well, you're partially correct. The Corvair, as built by Chevrolet, was a rear engined with a back seat. In the hands of an unskilled driver it could get tail-happy. There was a conversion developed by Ted Trevor in the late '60s that would allow the installation of a Chevy V-8 in front of the transaxle, turning it into a mid-engined, we'll balanced, performance car.
I am 100% correct on a factory built Corvair. (I have owned a few) I am familiar with the "Corv-8" conversion and this was not an OEM option. Very cool modification though and I have seen a few at car shows.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I had an older Boxster and nothing beats the layout for handling. The Boxster has more storage space than any others I've seen and that isn't saying much. A couple 12 packs of your favorite beverage will about fill it. You don't realize how much you miss the space when you don't have any.

kellyreno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Corvair is "rear engine". Still has a back seat and gets really tail-happy in a tight turn.
Drove my dads girlfriends Corvair when I was 16. Slid off the 90 degree turn backwards into a telephone pole. Way before Ralph Nader.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Excellent points. I should have clarified. A mid engined Mustang would have to be in addition to the current coupe, not a replacement. A mid engined Mustang would definitely be in GT500 range, $80-100k.
No way would a mid-engine Mustang be that cheap. Heck, the DH can be easily optioned into that range, and the DH is extremely similar to what Ford has been making for the last 8+ years.

And my opinion is that mid engine is overrated. Yes in theory they can be a little faster on track and have slightly better handling. Sure, 0-60 can be a little quicker. However, they are boring on the street. The capability of a modern V8 mid engine vehicle is way too high for street driving unless you are an old fart who just wants something that looks good at C&C.

I would love if there were some improvements to the Mustang, but I wouldn't dream quite so big. Just putting a transaxle in the car and getting it to a 50/50 weight bias would make it a lot better, even if it still was overweight and a little piggish.
Sponsored