Normal vs. Sport Mode = totally different car

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
Yeah the font is different. It also says, "revolutions per minute x1000" Depends on which is more important to you.

1601916503123.png
Yeah the matching gauges are more important. When all goes red, I know to shift if I'm using paddles. Just sort of a lame omission IMO. I mean how much do you need to charge to get redline right ya know? From a company that builds race cars for a living... Apologies for the threadjack fellas.
Sponsored

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Looks like I'm the only one who drive his Mustang in Normal mode and Steering on Comfort setting.
Hi - I'm with you and keep the exhaust on NORMAL too. That's the advantage of being able to select different driving options because we all have different preferences. Reading that most folks prefer at least the SPORT driving mode seems to suggest the car is not responsive enough in NORMAL mode. These cars have close to 500hp and NORMAL mode should be adequate for routine daily driving 90% of the time. I robbed a convenience store recently and had a successful escape in NORMAL mode, but of course with the exhaust on QUIET - so there!! Bruce

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
Reading that most folks prefer at least the SPORT driving mode seems to suggest the car is not responsive enough in NORMAL mode. These cars have close to 500hp and NORMAL mode should be adequate for routine daily driving 90% of the time.
Maybe it's because I'm coming from cars that predated driving modes, but I'm just used to immediate throttle response. Big horsepower and responsiveness are not the same thing.

I wish the settings stayed put after you turn the car off like on the 18+. I immediately toggle the throttle to Sport+ and the steering to Normal after pushing the start button.

Last edited:

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
Various vendors sell it online including ford performance themselves. I got mine from Levittown Ford Parts. Problem is they are so popular they sell out fast then end up in backorder for months. I got lucky when I got mine.
All you have to do is have a Ford dealer or have an ase licensed mechanic install it to keep the warranty.
Theres really no videos on it except for 1 that I've found.
Biggest difference with the Power Pack 2 on my 2015 GT Premium was how it changed the low end torque -- a solid kick in the butt MUCH earlier, in normal or sport, than before the mod. Bought the kit online (saved a bunch of $$) and I had it installed by the Ford Performance team at the Ford Nationals. There is data (charts and write-up) on the web about the differences between stock 5.0, Power Pack 1, Power Pack 2, and (I believe) the GT350. I'll repost the link if I find it.

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
I think I'm starting to get the hang of Sport+ in Drive Mode (versus setting the shifter to Sport). Still questioning if I want to use it more regularly as I do find it more challenging to maneuver around parking lots or my home cul-de-sac.

1. Can you change drive modes while the car is moving? Or is it best left to only do so while the vehicle is stopped?

2. I may try out Sport mode (not +) again. I don't think by itself (that is, coupled with the Normal drive mode) it makes shifting via paddles mandatory. Is it required if you go Sport with Sport+?

Thanks again, everyone, for all your help. The smiles per hour are coming back for me.

Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
I think I'm starting to get the hang of Sport+ in Drive Mode (versus setting the shifter to Sport). Still questioning if I want to use it more regularly as I do find it more challenging to maneuver around parking lots or my home cul-de-sac.

1. Can can you change drive modes while the car is moving? Or is it best left to only do so while the vehicle is stopped?

2. I may try out Sport mode (not +) again. I don't think by itself (that is, coupled with the Normal drive mode) it makes shifting via paddles mandatory. Is it required if you go Sport with Sport+?

Thanks again, everyone, for all your help. The smiles per hour are coming back for me.
You change drive modes while the car is moving. No need to stop to change modes.

You can also change exhaust modes if you have active exhaust, steering to comfort, normal and sport and even shut off/turn on traction control/advance track while the car is moving.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
1. Can you change drive modes while the car is moving? Or is it best left to only do so while the vehicle is stopped?
Yes.
No. I drive in Sport+ and "D" all the time. Only go to "S" when I'm feeling frisky.

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Do you know if this is applicable to the Bullitts? There are enough different parts I would think it’s not compatible.
The Bullitt already has the mods - throttle body, air cleaner/intake, and programming.

On my 2015 GT Premium 6M, I leave steering in Sport all the time (the Steering mode doesn't reset itself even on the 2015). As a manual, Sport mode doesn't change the shifting (obviously) but does change the throttle response, so I have used it on the track (Summit Point HPDE twice) and only rarely on the road. (I'm not about to add to the consistently growing collection of "Mustang fail" videos.)

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I'd say throttle response is not what's causing those "Mustang Fails" but rather it is turning off the nannies and getting into it hard. Sport+ in manuals keep the nannies on to help you straighten out, should you get a little sideways and the nannies kick in pretty fast. I always drive in Sport+ but very seldom do I drive in Track mode.

The Bullitt already has the mods - throttle body, air cleaner/intake, and programming.

On my 2015 GT Premium 6M, I leave steering in Sport all the time (the Steering mode doesn't reset itself even on the 2015). As a manual, Sport mode doesn't change the shifting (obviously) but does change the throttle response, so I have used it on the track (Summit Point HPDE twice) and only rarely on the road. (I'm not about to add to the consistently growing collection of "Mustang fail" videos.)

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
I'd say throttle response is not what's causing those "Mustang Fails" but rather it is turning off the nannies and getting into it hard. Sport+ in manuals keep the nannies on to help you straighten out, should you get a little sideways and the nannies kick in pretty fast. I always drive in Sport+ but very seldom do I drive in Track mode.
And those nannies are helpful -- see the video of Dave Pericak taking the 2020 GT500 to Jay Leno and their discussion about professional drivers leaving the TC on. Long video at https://www.motor1.com/news/379280/jay-leno-shelby-gt500/ and shorter version on Ford Authority at https://fordauthority.com/2019/10/2020-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-hands-on-with-jay-leno-video/

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Reminds me of the arguments about ABS, "I can break better than any ABS"...yeah maybe in a straight-line on a good surface but can you break steer maneuver at the limit every single time? Emergency brake from zero to 100% full braking instantly? eh no you cannot.

All that said I had heard whispers that in some cases of Mustangs going sideways it was that the nannies were off, the driver expected no nannies and was counter steering etc and the nannies suddenly stepped in and suddenly the car is trying to straighten you out of a drift you were fully committed to and arguably fully in control of and now you are going in a straight-line into a wall or bystanders.

Maybe coffee meet folks should unplug the dyno plug in the fender?

Last edited:

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
The nannies really neuter these cars. If you want to have any fun, they must be turned off. Throttle response is so much better with them off.

RoyalCrimsonGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bong
Vehicle(s)
2018 MGT P, 10R80, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust
Vehicle Showcase
Can the nannies still kick in even with a Lund tune? Today I raced a vette from a light and my engine cutout top of 2nd gear felt like fuel cut. Needless to say I lost :(

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
The nannies really neuter these cars. If you want to have any fun, they must be turned off. Throttle response is so much better with them off.
You want to have fun, go to a track. On the street keep all of us safe and leave them on.
Sponsored