Noob question..lol

Dennis.P

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Ecoboost Premium
So this is going to sound horrible, and I hope I'm asking this in the right spot. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ecoboost is electronically speed limited to a top speed of 121. The ecoboost PP though, with the different gears gets up to 143 (i think?). Is this solely due to the gearing, and nothing within the eco electronically limiting it to 121 like the base ecoboost? And how about a tune on a base ecoboost, top speed still 121, or would it still be limited to 121 because of the gearing? PLEASE, someone clarify this for me lol :headbonk::headbonk:
Sponsored

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
All the 2015's are electronically limited to 121. A tuner however can remove the limiter. I do not know what the top speed of the Eco Boost is without a limiter. I know I've gotten my GT up to 155 mph before I let off the gas, still had more room to go if I wanted.

OP
OP
Dennis.P

Dennis.P

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
Well I've seen that the ecoboost pp's can get up for like 143, because of their gearing, supposedly. And this is stock. Thats what makes me wonder that if i get a tune on my ecoboost premium, would i still be limited to 121 due to the gearing, but just get up to 121 faster?

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
All the 2015's are electronically limited to 121. A tuner however can remove the limiter. I do not know what the top speed of the Eco Boost is without a limiter. I know I've gotten my GT up to 155 mph before I let off the gas, still had more room to go if I wanted.
:confused: The GT's aren't.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Yea that's false. I took mine up to 130 a couple times :) The pp does allow it to get into the 140s. A tuner can remove the electronic speed limiter. The gearing has nothing to do with actually limiting the top speed

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dennis.P

Dennis.P

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
Yea that's false. I took mine up to 130 a couple times :) The pp does allow it to get into the 140s. A tuner can remove the electronic speed limiter. The gearing has nothing to do with actually limiting the top speed
Well I was pretty excited one morning on the way to Miami that the highway was completely empty so i wanted to see how it did, and it topped at 121 :( So your saying, with just a tune, and no changing of the gears, I could HYPOTHETICALLY achieve 140+?

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
The Ecoboost with the PP limit is 145 i believe. It has to do with the speed rating of the tires.

LIPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/50th AP
It's usually the speed rating of the tires that come on the car which dictate what the manufacturer sets the top speed limiter too.
Edit:
Ecoboosted above me, beat me to it.

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
I could be wrong, but I think it also has to do with the stock tires on the non-PP cars.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Well I was pretty excited one morning on the way to Miami that the highway was completely empty so i wanted to see how it did, and it topped at 121 :( So your saying, with just a tune, and no changing of the gears, I could HYPOTHETICALLY achieve 140+?
Yea they can just remove the limiter and you shouldn't have a problem

Sponsored

redfire07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang
I have not tested this, but I was told by a dealer that if you have an automatic you can put the car in sport mode and it will not limit you... If anyone cares to try and report back I would be interested to know if this is true.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Well I've seen that the ecoboost pp's can get up for like 143, because of their gearing, supposedly. And this is stock. Thats what makes me wonder that if i get a tune on my ecoboost premium, would i still be limited to 121 due to the gearing, but just get up to 121 faster?
It is not due to gearing, the pp with its 3.55 gears would hit a lower top speed than the non pp due to gearing, the pp would get there slightly faster.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
I have not tested this, but I was told by a dealer that if you have an automatic you can put the car in sport mode and it will not limit you... If anyone cares to try and report back I would be interested to know if this is true.
Lol sounds like you got a dumb dealer. There's a thread talking about them in the EB section

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
IMPORTANT!!!!!!!

If you have a V6, DO NOT remove the governor. Your driveshaft will explode. This was a known problem on the S197 and I have no idea why they didn't fix it.

OP
OP
Dennis.P

Dennis.P

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
So now I'm a little more confused, is it limited to 121 by the electronic speed limiter or by the tires? And if it's the tires, how do they limit it? Lol I'm sorry
Sponsored