Non-PP BMR SP080 Spring

ring23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Looking to purchase some BMR SP080 springs. When researching, I found a lot of people suggesting the PP Shocks and Struts to pair with these. My car is a daily driver and will likely never see the track, so was wondering if the PP shocks/strut combo is necessary for a Non-PP GT? Are they necessary for the SP080s or can the shock/strut combo be upgraded later?
Sponsored

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Per Kelly/BMR they work fine with the non-pp dampers. You can do shocks and struts later, you'd just be doubling up on labor time/cost. Shouldn't be too hard to find a cheap take-off set of PP parts to do at the same time if you didn't want to spend the money on the Ford Racing Track or Steeda Pro-Action units

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Looking to purchase some BMR SP080 springs. When researching, I found a lot of people suggesting the PP Shocks and Struts to pair with these. My car is a daily driver and will likely never see the track, so was wondering if the PP shocks/strut combo is necessary for a Non-PP GT? Are they necessary for the SP080s or can the shock/strut combo be upgraded later?
I'd definitely upgrade the dampers while you're in there, particularly the front. Necessary? Not really, but the car will ride and perform better on the street with a better set of dampers. The PP rears have a lot of compression damping so they can be a little bouncy, but that's largely fixed with a rear shock mount upgrade (BMR's mount also adds back the travel lost by lowering and some).

OP
OP

ring23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thank you both..exactly the info I was looking for!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you both..exactly the info I was looking for!
It's more expensive, but the FP Track damper set, M-18000-F, is worth it. Don't let the 'Track' worry you, there are a large number of folks on Performance or min drop performance springs and those dampers who only street drive their cars. The level of control is much improved over even the PP dampers.

Sponsored

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
While not necessary in your case, it’s best to upgrade dampers at the same time as your springs.

Steer away from PP dampers; they just aren’t that good to start with. Ford Racing, Steeda, Koni, and Bilstein all make great units.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
For a purely street driven car, upgrading only the shocks & struts and staying on the OE springs is a good alternative. Better than doing the springs and not doing the dampers, unless you're putting pressure on yourself to lower the car just to lower it the way it seems most "everybody else" does,

I've taken that first-do-the-dampers-only path on 6 of the 9 cars I've owned since 1970 (though 3 of them ultimately got stiffer springs), and when the WRX in my sig gets any suspension attention that'll make it 7 out of 9 for dampers and I don't see that car ever getting springs. One car got springs and dampers at the same time. Only one now long-gone car never got a damper upgrade.

Norm

Gojr47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I didn't like the ride quality when I had the SP080 on stock non ppdampers. I didn't want to upgrade and spend on install cost again but one time I took a 6 hour trip on the interstate and I hated how harsh the car felt. It's when I decided to upgrade.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't like the ride quality when I had the SP080 on stock non ppdampers. I didn't want to upgrade and spend on install cost again but one time I took a 6 hour trip on the interstate and I hated how harsh the car felt. It's when I decided to upgrade.
So the ride became less harsh when you upgraded the dampers and kept the SP080?

OP
OP

ring23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Interesting..I’ll probably go the route of doing shocks/struts at the same time to avoid this and additional labor cost. What pairs well with the SP080? Looks like there’s a sale on the Steeda Non-Adjustables right now.

Sponsored

Gojr47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
So the ride became less harsh when you upgraded the dampers and kept the SP080?
Yes, it became more compliant. The only other mod I had at the time was the BMR cradle lockout kit (cb005).

Gojr47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Interesting..I’ll probably go the route of doing shocks/struts at the same time to avoid this and additional labor cost. What pairs well with the SP080? Looks like there’s a sale on the Steeda Non-Adjustables right now.
I have the Steeda Non-Adjustables. They worked good until I put sway front and rear sway bars. The front still rides really well but the rear became sensitive to bad roads/bumps. I bought a set of Ford Performance track dampers for when I switch my setup again.

95civic2005

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have an 18 GT with the SP080 springs and factory dampers. I personally think these ride just fine, but that’s just my opinion. I read somewhere (on this forum) that the 18 dampers were more improved and compared to the 15-17 PP dampers. The only other suspension mod I have is the BMR cradle lock out kit.
Sponsored