Sponsored

Noise citation in LA

albsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver GT
So I got fixit ticket for 27151 (a) "modified exhaust to amplify noise" today in westwood. I heard I could get the exhaust sound tested to fix this, however when I asked the officer about this he said that the only way to fix it would be to revert back to stock. I have the frpp touring catback which I kind of bought to avoid problems like this...

Does anyone have any experience with this?
I gave away my stock exhaust, so I'd have to find another one somehow if I can't have it tested.
Sponsored

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
I live in Orange County and this exact issue is what is making me think twice about installing an aftermarket exhaust.

I already got a 'fix it' ticket for having tints on the front side windows. And that was with only a mild tint level, nothing crazy dark.

I was thinking maybe getting an axle back exhaust, like the Roush, so that if I do get a ticket for it then i can simply slip on the standard axle back, get it tested and signed off, then simply revert back to the Roush system afterwards.

MELLOWYELLOW06

MELLOW 2.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT PP
So I got fixit ticket for 27151 (a) "modified exhaust to amplify noise" today in westwood. I heard I could get the exhaust sound tested to fix this, however when I asked the officer about this he said that the only way to fix it would be to revert back to stock. I have the frpp touring catback which I kind of bought to avoid problems like this...

I gave away my stock exhaust, so I'd have to find another one somehow if I can't have it tested.

I can't believe they still do that but when a Harley flies by and rips or your ears drums, that's ok!

I live in that area and I have the Magnaflow comp system And I worry. That sucks brother.

Socalmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium w/PP Race Red

You got a ticket for the FRPP touring exhaust? I hear they are one of the quietest one's out there. That cop was just being an asshole and trying to meet his quota for tickets!

stbanas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Deep Impact Blue w/Performance Pkg
You got a ticket for the FRPP touring exhaust? I hear they are one of the quietest one's out there. That cop was just being an asshole and trying to meet his quota for tickets!

That's what I'm saying! I thought I read on borla website that the touring is 50 state noise compliant

Edit: It's CJPP website that says they're drive-by noise legal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

Socalmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium w/PP Race Red
Fight it in court, you will win! That cop doesn't know what he's talking about.

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
American Racing Headers catback system here!! Best of both worlds!! Quiet when u want it to be and then you hit the WOT button!! I live in a townhouse complex and after initial starup, I open the garage and leave, very quietly I might add!! Have side window tint and amber marker light delete vinyl strips, soooooo....just waiting to see!

Had a friend tell me a buddy of his had the rear tail light blackout treatment... Was rear ended and his insurance was VOID because of the tint!! OUCH!!!

Watch out boys n girls! There are some older Stang's in the area and are extremely loud!! Just remember, it only a matter of time! Here in Vancouver we actually have officers standing at intersections just looking at cars as they pull up to the red light! If something's wrong, they send you "over there" for a quick inspection!!

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
Fight it in court, you will win! That cop doesn't know what he's talking about.
I agree, it's always worth fighting! If the cop is a no show....you're off the hook! If not, ask for a decibel reading and have them compare that to all the Harley's out there!!! I think the cop had a bad day or was very jealous!! :D

av99gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Mustang GT
Get FRPP to send you the noise drive by test cert. than go to court.

Keep it in your car just in case it happens again.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
The simplest way is to have the noise level rated by a reputable person/shop and take that to your court date. Cops aren't required to be at your preliminary hearing. If you plead not-guilty then they will schedule a hearing and the cop WILL be there.

Get a dB reading, or borrow a stock exhaust, and go to your prelim hearing. The ticket will be waived and you'll be out a few bucks for the court costs.

When you mod, you gotta pay to play.

Sponsored

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
The simplest way is to have the noise level rated by a reputable person/shop and take that to your court date. Cops aren't required to be at your preliminary hearing. If you plead not-guilty then they will schedule a hearing and the cop WILL be there.

Get a dB reading, or borrow a stock exhaust, and go to your prelim hearing. The ticket will be waived and you'll be out a few bucks for the court costs.

When you mod, you gotta pay to play.
Especially if you choose to reside in a wackadoo state like California.

spicyypenguin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Isn't the FRPP Touring Catback 50-state noise legal?

http://fordperformanceracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=24549 said:
Aggressive sound is 50-state drive-by noise legal
That's unfortunate, I've always heard that LA cops are pretty strict. I've got the Corsa Xtreme Catback with 35% side tints since November and haven't had any problems with cops at all, in San Diego at least.

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Especially if you choose to reside in a wackadoo state like Commie-fornia.
There...fixed for ya. :cheers:

Stuff like this is why I choose to live out in the sticks...bad enough its still L.A. County but it is waaay better than down below. :headbonk:

OP
OP
albsy

albsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver GT
Thanks for the suggestions :thumbsup:

I'm just going have this sound tested at one of the "referee" centers they have here. If it doesn't pass I'll just have to throw the stock exhaust back on and do it again xD. It's one of these fixit tickets so there doesn't really appear to be a fine associated with it that I can just pay off.

But yeah I haven't had any issues with any of the other la county police departments, I guess the university of california pd have different standards or something.

Blitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP w/Perfomance
Get FRPP to send you the noise drive by test cert. than go to court.

Keep it in your car just in case it happens again.

doesnt matter, that DB test only refers to the DB levels. we also have a law here that states we're not allowed to modify exhaust at all..
Sponsored