Sponsored

Noise citation in LA

av99gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Mustang GT
doesnt matter, that DB test only refers to the DB levels. we also have a law here that states we're not allowed to modify exhaust at all..

I have actually performed the test before we sent it off for official testing. As a tuner we replaced cat back, and than had the system tested. Possible gray zone though. We had people request the cert. since the police gave them a hard time. Now there is the law in CA that you can not replace the cats unless they are damaged, and than it requires certain numbers on the part to be legal.

Notice the Sport kit is listed as 49 state.
Sponsored

Celestias

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium (Silver Ingot)
I'm in the market for an aftermarket exhaust and realize this thread is a bit old but I was wondering how this turned out? Did you get out of the ticket? And if so, what was the Db reading on the Touring ? I saw in another thread you had it tested at 91 db with stock so that may mean that you had to put back on the stock exhaust to pass it, but I was just curious anyway.

Either way this situation sucks, but I dont want to fool myself believing that getting the Touring version will mean I won't be ticketed... and I suppose its even possible to get one with stock since its a Mustang. ><

Marino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moped
So I got fixit ticket for 27151 (a) "modified exhaust to amplify noise" today in westwood. I heard I could get the exhaust sound tested to fix this, however when I asked the officer about this he said that the only way to fix it would be to revert back to stock. I have the frpp touring catback which I kind of bought to avoid problems like this...

Does anyone have any experience with this?
I gave away my stock exhaust, so I'd have to find another one somehow if I can't have it tested.
Fight it!
The VC reads:
27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.
Link to 2750 and on:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=veh&group=27001-28000&file=27150-27159

Link to Article 2.5 Section 27200:
http://law.justia.com/codes/california/2005/veh/27200-27207.html

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.
It basically says that an exhaust/muffler cannot be modified to be louder than the legal limit which is 95 dbA or less when measured in accordance with SAE J1169. The problem is SAE no longer uses that type of measuring. They now use SAE J1492 to measure noise. If you can attain the SAE test procedure and measure the decibel level, you have a clear cut case. If you can get a certificate that that exhaust has been SAE tested already then just provide the necessary proof (easiest). Option 3 involves following J1169 despite the fact that it is "cancelled." You'd have to read J1169 after you purchase it. :crazy:

http://standards.sae.org/j1169_200707/

Hope this helps! :ninja:

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Can't comment on fighting it, but I wouldn't worry about keeping it on. You just had the unfortunate timing of rolling by a cop who was having a bad day. Obviously I'm sure a lot of it was luck, but I used to go to school and live on the same property as the Costa Mesa police station and I drove to work in LA 3 days a week from there for around 2 years with an 05 GT with no mufflers and never got a ticket or comment on the noise if I got pulled over for something else.

Just settle the current ticket however you see best then keep on trucking with your modified exhaust.

OP
OP
albsy

albsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver GT
I'm in the market for an aftermarket exhaust and realize this thread is a bit old but I was wondering how this turned out? Did you get out of the ticket? And if so, what was the Db reading on the Touring ? I saw in another thread you had it tested at 91 db with stock so that may mean that you had to put back on the stock exhaust to pass it, but I was just curious anyway.

Either way this situation sucks, but I dont want to fool myself believing that getting the Touring version will mean I won't be ticketed... and I suppose its even possible to get one with stock since its a Mustang. ><
It was a pretty convoluted process.
I gave away my stock exhaust when I put the touring catbacks on, so I snagged one from hillbank motorsports and had those stuck back on.
Then I went to the local PD to get the ticket signed, but they refused to sign it and said only CHP signs exhaust tickets. So I went to the CHP and they said they no longer sign exhaust tickets. The officer flatout refused to take a look, and basically said that only the state ref is allowed to sign off violations of vehicle code 27150 and 27151.
So I booked an appointment, went through this process https://www.bar.ca.gov/FormsPubs/Fa...ehicle_Exhaust_Noise_Level_Certification.html
paid them $108, I still need to go to the court clerk to pay off the fix-it ticket (25$ fee) but I extended it, so I have until February to do that now. Also I didn't have the touring catbacks sound tested, there is no way they would have passed haha xD.

Sponsored

Celestias

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium (Silver Ingot)
Damn that sucks! I just bought the Touring exhaust anyway, because I love the sound... but I'm going to make every effort to keep my stock exhaust stored in the garage - (Probably going to have to rent a pickup truck to get that home though) - I hope it works out for you and you can leave this ordeal behind.

Curious though, do you plan on putting the Touring back on afterwards? I feel like this is a rare exception because its not nearly as loud as some of the stuff on the roads that I witness each day. Thanks for all the info, I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to things like this but I really like the sound of the touring and it is "legal" as declared by Ford Racing manufacturers to what I've researched... I think the cops just gave you a hard time :/.

USMC 005

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I may have gotten lucky a fews months after I installed my Corsa Extream catback system. I was at a light and took off when the light changed. Little did I know there was a city cop behind me a few cars back. He quickly caught up to me and possistioned him self at my 6. I thought for sure he would pull me over and to top it off, I was passing underneath an over pass which made the car sound ever lauder. I braced my self and resigned my self for a ticket, but then I noticed him pull out from behind my car to the right lane and as he passed me, give me a thumbs. Maybe he noticed my plates and USMC sticker and decided to give me a break. I will never know. :cheers:
IMG_7959.jpg
Sponsored