Sponsored

No love for the 18 eco, need more Mod options

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
Most likey - but as the OP has questioned - we’re now in almost June 2018 and there’s really nothing avail for the 2018’s in CAI or tunes, and these S550’s have been in public possession prior to Jan 2018.

No one has confirmed if the 2015-2017 aftermarket IC’s will even fit a 2018, because the front clip has changed; so one would think someone would have test fitted an IC to a 2018 by now...
But if the IC part# is the same, then it should work, or very good chance.

Tune is going to take a while, it took a while in 2015 to, depending on what has been changed in ECU.
Sponsored

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible

Tune is going to take a while, it took a while in 2015 to, depending on what has been changed in ECU.
Speaking of what has been changed in the ECU, is it really just an "overboost" provision that was added to increase the torque from 320 to 350? If so, how much higher is the boost during overboost, 2 psi?

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
Ford has pretty much maxed out the safe hp on the 2.3 most likely, not a lot of meat on the bone for tuners to safely unleash.

Rc18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
6mt-rc-18eb
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe, but not likely.

Ford has pretty much maxed out the safe hp on the 2.3 most likely, not a lot of meat on the bone for tuners to safely unleash.
The frpp tune unleashes a lot on the 15-17 model's. So I don't think it's that.

Rather I'm wondering if now that it's just the 2.3, 5.0&5.2 lineup.
If ford has just decided to not offer it for the 18/19 eb stangs?
They might figure with the new awesome a10 available plus line lock&launch control now both standard. With a bit more tq why offer a cheap tune option? That combined with a sticky set of rubber&a good driver would actually run near or even with a 5.0? For a WHOLE lot less cheddar:p

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
The frpp tune unleashes a lot on the 15-17 model's. So I don't think it's that.

Rather I'm wondering if now that it's just the 2.3, 5.0&5.2 lineup.
If ford has just decided to not offer it for the 18/19 eb stangs?
They might figure with the new awesome a10 available plus line lock&launch control now both standard. With a bit more tq why offer a cheap tune option? That combined with a sticky set of rubber&a good driver would actually run near or even with a 5.0? For a WHOLE lot less cheddar:p
Maybe a 6 speed. I don't think an eco is keeping up with an A10 gt

Sponsored

Rc18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
6mt-rc-18eb
Vehicle Showcase
Probably not in all honesty. Best stock 2018 a10 test I've seen was a 13.7 that was a pp car to. So figure tune, sticky tires,good air maybe mid 12s. Been done that way on the 15-17 model's. So I'm not discounting the magic sauce a10:D

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just noticed this from Ford's website regarding the 2018 EB. The overboost kicks in when it senses gear changes. This seems to reinforce my "butt dyno", which feels more power when shifting up through the gears than when you go off and on throttle in a single gear.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
The programming fields and variables have likely changed too. I am not sure what the guts of the programming contains since I never seen it. Just speaking out of general computer programming experience, tuners likely have a computer program that displays the fields laid out in the map that can easily be adjusted. You likely need some kind of kit or software that can read and display all the assembly code in a editable format that you don't need to be a computer scientist to figure out.

Meanwhile, Ford Performance does a lot of stat crunching, dyno testing, EPA testing, and road testing before releasing anything. They also do so without turning off any of the safety features like overheating cat's, and engine knocking thresholds. I imagine though once the 3rd parties get a hold of software kits where they can manipulate the new data mappings, we will see them sooner than FPs.

cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang

I can check to confirm, but I'm almost certain all of the intercoolers are transitioning just fine to 2018 models - may just be a technicality with the lack of web site updates.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Transmission doesn't make this car, the engine does. Somebody saying the A10 is much faster than the M6 is full of it.

Sponsored

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transmission doesn't make this car, the engine does. Somebody saying the A10 is much faster than the M6 is full of it.
If you're only interested in drag racing, it's hard to beat an automatic. Road course could be a different story. The new 911 GT3 only comes with a PDK, but I'm not convinced that the GM/Ford A10 is as good as a Porsche PDK for road course duty. Maybe, but I doubt it.

Edit: I think I misunderstood the point of the above. I would have to agree that in un-modded state, all things being equal (e.g., driver), the V8 is always going to be faster than the EB. Can't get around that.

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Lol. Properly geared transmission has nothing to do with it. That must be why all the gt guys say the mt82 is not properly geared for the gt. Also why the 6 speed cars consistently run .4 to .8 slower than the A10 cars. Plain and simple an A10 is faster than the 6 speed. And it's not one thing that makes the car it's the sum of its parts. So yes the trans plays a part.

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Edit: I think I misunderstood the point of the above. I would have to agree that in un-modded state, all things being equal (e.g., driver), the V8 is always going to be faster than the EB. Can't get around that.
I agree v8 will always be faster than stock eco. I was saying that a few mods and a tune and an 18 eco could give a 6speed gt a run for its money.

Rc18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
6mt-rc-18eb
Vehicle Showcase
Don't forget lund went 11.70s with a stock turbo eco 6r80 year's ago. Their tune, slicks, removed or unhooked the catback, no spare, other seats out. Pump gas. I'm actually a little disappointed that they haven't pushed the new a10 or got a customer car running some good numbers:clap2:shrug:
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]ii_fkXhg73Q[/MEDIA]"]

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Lol. Properly geared transmission has nothing to do with it. That must be why all the gt guys say the mt82 is not properly geared for the gt. Also why the 6 speed cars consistently run .4 to .8 slower than the A10 cars. Plain and simple an A10 is faster than the 6 speed. And it's not one thing that makes the car it's the sum of its parts. So yes the trans plays a part.
I have an MT82. Granted, I have an aftermarket shifter assembly, but the car shifts smoothly for the most part. You get a locked gate every now and then, but nothing too bad. The A10 IS faster, but NOT that much faster. The way some people talk on here, the A10 is a few seconds faster. People using terms like "not even close" or "much faster." That's bs. Go use those terms in a marketing department, not here. That was my point.

Put the A10 in a 200 hp car and race a guy that's got 400 hp in an M6. Get my point?
Sponsored