OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Don't forget lund went 11.70s with a stock turbo eco 6r80 year's ago. Their tune, slicks, removed or unhooked the catback, no spare, other seats out. Pump gas. I'm actually a little disappointed that they haven't pushed the new a10 or got a customer car running some good numbers:clap2:shrug:
Good lord that's quick for an eco.
Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
For the real test .. not much interest anymore since we already know the limitations of the 2.3 with it's inherent design flaws .

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Don't forget lund went 11.70s with a stock turbo eco 6r80 year's ago. Their tune, slicks, removed or unhooked the catback, no spare, other seats out. Pump gas. I'm actually a little disappointed that they haven't pushed the new a10 or got a customer car running some good numbers:clap2:shrug:
Lund isn't even taking anymore big build EcoBoost cars. Jon said that they would continue to do shop cars, like UPR, and basic bolt-on cars for customers, but as far as anything more than that, he said he had a lot on his plate and it was a lot of work for what he could charge.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
I've been in my car for 10 days now, re-learning how to manage an automatic in my daily driver after 25-ish years with manual transmissions. Naturally, I was planning mods before I even bought the car, but the list has always been fairly short:

1 - FRPP Tune / CAI
2 - Wheels / Tires
3 - Garrett IC
4 - Exhaust

That's generally the order I was going to install as well. The goal for me is to not mod anything in a way that screams aftermarket as I would like to be able to play in the Street or Street Touring class of my local SCCA events without raising eyebrows. Rules matter, but they don't matter as much for a slow guy like me, and I'll probably only make a couple events per year...

The biggest disappointment has been the FRPP tune for the 18's - seems like the bulk of the tuning parameters could be transferred pretty much intact to the new control architecture. If not for the A10, then certainly for the M6 cars. Those ought to be fundamentally the same as the 15-17 cars. The A10 may require some work if they're going to provide the shift improvements that the 15-17 cars seem to have received, but that may not be an issue either.

Finding wheels and tires doesn't seem to be an issue for me beyond deciding what style I want to go with and what I can find rated for all season use. I've had UHP summers on my Fit for the last 6 years, and I'm done with commuting on cold tires. The stock wheels will get class-legal tires if I get to race often enough.

The Garrett IC seems like a great deal and may go to the top of the list if the FRPP tune doesn't materialize in the next 8-12 months or so.

Exhaust - I wish the EB's came with single exhaust systems. Dual outlets on an inline engine looks like extra weight and expense to me, and just complicates getting the sound right. Flow is easy to get, but it seems like this engine is a little buzzy with almost any system. Ideally, I'd like a single center outlet, or one on the passenger side. Quiet-ish, eliminate the buzz, and lower the tone an octave or two...

Those are going to be my primary interests for mods to this car - at least until I get to know it a little better.

I would suggest maybe adding some mod categories to the original post and listing the recommendations that folks give here so the wish list is easy to find by the vendors. Basically, something similar to the "What Things Weigh" thread.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I've been in my car for 10 days now, re-learning how to manage an automatic in my daily driver after 25-ish years with manual transmissions. Naturally, I was planning mods before I even bought the car, but the list has always been fairly short:

1 - FRPP Tune / CAI
2 - Wheels / Tires
3 - Garrett IC
4 - Exhaust

That's generally the order I was going to install as well. The goal for me is to not mod anything in a way that screams aftermarket as I would like to be able to play in the Street or Street Touring class of my local SCCA events without raising eyebrows. Rules matter, but they don't matter as much for a slow guy like me, and I'll probably only make a couple events per year...

The biggest disappointment has been the FRPP tune for the 18's - seems like the bulk of the tuning parameters could be transferred pretty much intact to the new control architecture. If not for the A10, then certainly for the M6 cars. Those ought to be fundamentally the same as the 15-17 cars. The A10 may require some work if they're going to provide the shift improvements that the 15-17 cars seem to have received, but that may not be an issue either.

Finding wheels and tires doesn't seem to be an issue for me beyond deciding what style I want to go with and what I can find rated for all season use. I've had UHP summers on my Fit for the last 6 years, and I'm done with commuting on cold tires. The stock wheels will get class-legal tires if I get to race often enough.

The Garrett IC seems like a great deal and may go to the top of the list if the FRPP tune doesn't materialize in the next 8-12 months or so.

Exhaust - I wish the EB's came with single exhaust systems. Dual outlets on an inline engine looks like extra weight and expense to me, and just complicates getting the sound right. Flow is easy to get, but it seems like this engine is a little buzzy with almost any system. Ideally, I'd like a single center outlet, or one on the passenger side. Quiet-ish, eliminate the buzz, and lower the tone an octave or two...

Those are going to be my primary interests for mods to this car - at least until I get to know it a little better.

I would suggest maybe adding some mod categories to the original post and listing the recommendations that folks give here so the wish list is easy to find by the vendors. Basically, something similar to the "What Things Weigh" thread.
There is a titanium single exhaust I believe, I saw it somewhere but I forget the name. It may be on here. I wasn't a fan of it but it saved like 40 lbs there abouts

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase

1 - FRPP Tune / CAI
2 - Wheels / Tires
3 - Garrett IC
4 - Exhaust

Single Exhaust:
CP-e
Ultimate racing
Tomei

I have the Tomei and it is very loud.

prostovovatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Ecoboost Manual Performance Pack
Anyone else notice their is not much in the realm of mods for the 18 ecoboost's? Car has been out since October and still hardly anything. Perhaps I'm not looking hard enough, perhaps not enough of a customer basis. When I check out products it always stops at 17. Come on vendors show some love for us.

Post if you want to see some more options for your 18, maybe if we get enough interest we will see more products sooner.
I am eagerly eagerly waiting for the Cobb AP for the 18s but they are taking their sweet time. I wanted to get the AP, Intake, IC at the same time as my tune. Fortunately for me, CP-e is local and will do their magic as soon as Cobb is finally done.

I honestly think its the A10 holding things up because the MT EB can't be that different tuning wise can it?

I have run into a few issues so far. CCV kit was a little different because of the connection ends.

As for tuning that is the hard part. Completely different architecture. As of last week Lund has nothing coming, Cobb is 2-3 months out, HP Tuners work but a lot of the fields aren't identified. We have a larger turbo on ours and working through the limited support, so are a few others.

A lot does carry over but make sure you confirm first so you aren't left with something that almost works.
For tunes I will only go Cobb AP but that's neither here nor there with no timeframe in sight.

Most likey - but as the OP has questioned - we’re now in almost June 2018 and there’s really nothing avail for the 2018’s in CAI or tunes, and these S550’s have been in public possession prior to Jan 2018.

No one has confirmed if the 2015-2017 aftermarket IC’s will even fit a 2018, because the front clip has changed; so one would think someone would have test fitted an IC to a 2018 by now...
Yep that is really frusturating.

Ford has pretty much maxed out the safe hp on the 2.3 most likely, not a lot of meat on the bone for tuners to safely unleash.
I do not believe that for a second. Look at 15-17 ecoboosts that have been safely tuned.

I just noticed this from Ford's website regarding the 2018 EB. The overboost kicks in when it senses gear changes. This seems to reinforce my "butt dyno", which feels more power when shifting up through the gears than when you go off and on throttle in a single gear.
I definitely feel the extra power when shifting as well.

That is awesome.

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Driveshaft, springs, tunes, possibly intercooler, there are many things that do not carry over.
You're stating this as if it's fact, and most of this likely is not. It's one thing to say that [insert item here] may not carry over simply because the aftermarket manufacturers haven't updated their literature or because no one has looked up the 2018 Ford parts to confirm they are exactly the same. But to flat out state they don't is unhelpful conjecture and you know it. I would be absolutely amazed if the driveshaft, intercooler and (non-magnaride) springs aren't interchangeable between the 15-17s and the 18s.

This was a minor refresh (aside from some of the added options like the magnaride & digital dash) and the vast majority of the Mustang (especially the ecoboost) is the same.

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
You're stating this as if it's fact, and most of this likely is not. It's one thing to say that [insert item here] may not carry over simply because the aftermarket manufacturers haven't updated their literature or because no one has looked up the 2018 Ford parts to confirm they are exactly the same. But to flat out state they don't is unhelpful conjecture and you know it. I would be absolutely amazed if the driveshaft, intercooler and (non-magnaride) springs aren't interchangeable between the 15-17s and the 18s.

This was a minor refresh (aside from some of the added options like the magnaride & digital dash) and the vast majority of the Mustang (especially the ecoboost) is the same.
New auto trans so nope drive shaft is different, mag ride so springs are different, no tunes out for the 18, go look, i'll wait. And I said maybe intercooler but wasn't certain on that. So as of right now if you can't provide evidence to support your argument then perhaps you should not call me out. My point was its been out for a while and it would be nice if there were more resources for the 18 eco's.

Sponsored

prostovovatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Ecoboost Manual Performance Pack
I definitely wish there was at least an AP from Cobb

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I definitely wish there was at least an AP from Cobb
I'm still on the fence about getting a tune, due to the ecoboom. However I would likley lean toward Ford performance for the warrenty. I've read good things about tune+ also. I still have a lot to learn and research.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I'm still on the fence about getting a tune, due to the ecoboom. However I would likley lean toward Ford performance for the warrenty. I've read good things about tune+ also. I still have a lot to learn and research.

The Ford Performance tune with an intercooler upgrade is very reliable. [MENTION=25093]TheLion[/MENTION] was very knowledgeable when he still had his 2.3T and recommended it for its reliability if wanting a little more from the car.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
The Ford Performance tune is the only engine mod I will consider, while it is still under warranty. This is not a "scientific fact", but my observations after reading many posts regarding "ecoboom", always seem to include some form of aftermarket engine mod. To be fair, maybe it isn't the mod? Maybe the mod is a surrogate for the way the vehicle is driven, etc. I don't know. But I never seem to find any major engine issues related to unmodified engines. I know it happens, especially with as many of these that are sold. But it seems that there is a positive correlation between "ecoboom" and aftermarket mods, IMHO.

The Baby Driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost
I have put most of the Mods available on this my Car. We ran into a weird issue with the exhaust but I think that is do to Full Race and not a change in the system (Maybe I am wrong we just resolved it and moved on). Everything else went on just fine except for the Catch can. The fittings at the Valve cover are different, that mixed with the turbo kit require a few changes in mounting.

Once again the tuning on this is 100% different. You cannot "copy over" anything. Also I should a sound clip from the Dyno and I thought it sounded pretty good.
20180520_131838 (Large).jpg
20180520_131844 (Large).jpg
image-20180519_094754 (Large).jpg
image-20180519_094829 (Large).jpg
image-20180519_094816 (Large).jpg
image-20180519_094803 (Large).jpg
Sponsored