Sponsored

Ngauge won't connect

The_Catalyst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 s550 gt pp shadow black
I've had my ngauge for about a year and had no issues. It worked fine this morning on the way to work. Started the car after work and it refused to connect. Powers on but keeps saying can't connect and make sure the key is on. I checked the plugs and replugged it in and made sure nothing was messed up, no pins were bent etc. It is getting signal/ power because it times out and turns off and then restarts because it gets signal while driving. Just refuses to connect. Nothing was touched or changed.

This is on a 2018 5.0 mustang GT. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I did a search but there wasn't much posted about this.
Sponsored

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
Sounds like a fluke failure of the ngauge to me. As an engineer designing and working with electronics every day, I can tell you that these things happen. Maybe a cold solder joint on a PCB or something like that.
If you have a buddy that has one, you can verify it by using his, it should connect and be able to read car info.
Good luck!

OP
OP

The_Catalyst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 s550 gt pp shadow black
To add to this, I tried the tuner on my 2000 Chevrolet Silverado and it was able to connect. Didn't read anything for obvious reasons but it did find and connect to the ECU. I sent an email to Emotion and they're thinking it could be the cable. Gonna get a new cable and see how it works and go from there.

AZboost18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edgar
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang
Check the connections on your ODB II / III they might be dirty.

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
To add to this, I tried the tuner on my 2000 Chevrolet Silverado and it was able to connect. Didn't read anything for obvious reasons but it did find and connect to the ECU. I sent an email to Emotion and they're thinking it could be the cable. Gonna get a new cable and see how it works and go from there.
This is definitely a good idea, hopefully that would be it.

Sponsored

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is an old thread but my ngauge just started doing this after work after two years. Hopefully it is a fluke and it works correctly in the morning. Did this turn out to be the cable?

Boosted5.2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Julio
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang gt350
I know this is an old thread but my ngauge just started doing this after work after two years. Hopefully it is a fluke and it works correctly in the morning. Did this turn out to be the cable?
Did you figure it out?

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did you figure it out?
I did. I talked to Lund and they said they’ve heard this many many times and I got a new cable. A much nicer cable than what came with the original Ngauge and it fired right up.

Boosted5.2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Julio
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang gt350
I did. I talked to Lund and they said they’ve heard this many many times and I got a new cable. A much nicer cable than what came with the original Ngauge and it fired right up.
Awesome, exactly what they told me, what cable did you end up getting? Also, does it work to flash tunes & datalog, no issues at all?

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome, exactly what they told me, what cable did you end up getting? Also, does it work to flash tunes & datalog, no issues at all?
I got the cable from Lund. I don't know a brand but they told me that it is much nicer than the original and it is. Very good quality. I haven't done any data logging or flashes with it but I am sure it will work just fine.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So out of curiosity, how does the original Nguage cable just go bad? I mean it's not a moving part with stress being applied to it.

just wondering...

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So out of curiosity, how does the original Nguage cable just go bad? I mean it's not a moving part with stress being applied to it.

just wondering...
I thought the same thing. I can only assume that whoever made Ngauge used the cheapest thing they could find. Lund told me that when they sourced this new wire they went for much better quality and you can tell.

I am just glad it was the wire and not the device that went bad.

Boosted5.2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Julio
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang gt350
I got the cable from Lund. I don't know a brand but they told me that it is much nicer than the original and it is. Very good quality. I haven't done any data logging or flashes with it but I am sure it will work just fine.
Gotcha, I guess you got lucky because they don’t have any more lol. I tried PBD, 5 Star Tuning, & Lund. Seems everyone is out of new cables haha

Boosted5.2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Julio
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang gt350

just wondering...
So, what I’ve gathered from it, my opinion anyway. I feel like the cable itself doesn’t go bad, it’s the RJ45 connector on the cable that goes bad. Seems like it is not of good quality and doesn’t fit snug into the Ngauge. I was having trouble connecting to my car with it, after I didn’t find any cables out there that would work for sure, I decided wth & cut the factory RJ45 from the cable, Remade that end with a new connector & it’s been working perfectly fine since, I did order a cable from eBay before I did that, not sure if it would’ve worked though
Sponsored