Sponsored

7th Generation Mustang (S650) Moved to 2022...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Replacing three name plates with one sounds like someone else is cutting back on sedans
At least there will still be 2. Small(ish) and large. I always thought the XTS was redundant anyway.

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
Mach 1 is a BEV Crossover...sorry
Unbelievable that you still say the the Mach1 name would be on a BEV. Perfect timing would be a Mach1 to spur interest in the last few years of the extended model run like the 01 Bullitt and 03-04 Mach1. I have only ever purchased Fords my entire life (60 years old) and work for a Ford dealership but would never buy another if they use the Mach1 name for such a vehicle. That is how profoundly wrong I think it is. (I really hope this is some sort of hoax).
But then what am I thinking, a new Mach1 or Boss would be 50-70K, loaded with features, limited to promote dealer markups and not obtainable by the average worker.
I was at Carlisle last Friday and listened to Scott Hoag give a seminar about the original 01 Bullitt and the less is more philosophy of that project. A well balanced GT, at an affordable price. How far we have strayed from those concepts.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I've heard that the Mach 1 teaser was kind of a feeler to see how people would react. Given what I've seen, I doubt they'll end up using it. I'd even be fine with them using the old Lightning name for example which would make more sense anyway.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Ford needs to generate profit on design work already done, and free up time to revisit quality issues.

I strongly suspect they are considering concurrent S550 and S650 production. I could see S650 being bumped out even another year and have the final GT include an option package that is unified 5.0 GT350. That would run last 2 years of 4 yr concurrent GT500.

If Camaro styling gets fixed, all bets off.

Hows the business case holding up for the Nissan 370Z and GTR? Very little engineering overhead, strong margin, improving durability/longevity/value. Hows the sales on these?

I could see the S650 being closer to Focus chassis based to get weight down. Just style it like a mini Stang and presto! More profits. Allowing concurrent S550 “heavy” stang sales may require very little continuity engineering and all profit margin.

Sponsored

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Dismal sales of a $70k Fusion...hummmmm

Don't get me wrong, they are very nice cars but...

2020..2022..2025... who knows on the Mustang. I am going to just enjoy my new 18GT I bought last week.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I could see the S650 being closer to Focus chassis based to get weight down. Just style it like a mini Stang and presto! More profits. Allowing concurrent S550 “heavy” stang sales may require very little continuity engineering and all profit margin.
Then we'd be back to the Probe debacle. Ford won't move the Mustang to a FWD architecture when they have CD6 which is RWD (and AWD capable).

If S650 is a '23MY, I'm pretty sure they'd have to lightly refresh S550 for the '21MY. After all, we had a refresh just 3 years after the '15 debut, I can't see them letting the '18 design soldier on for 4 years. Even the S197 had a refresh for the last two model years.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Ford needs to generate profit on design work already done, and free up time to revisit quality issues.

I strongly suspect they are considering concurrent S550 and S650 production. I could see S650 being bumped out even another year and have the final GT include an option package that is unified 5.0 GT350. That would run last 2 years of 4 yr concurrent GT500.

If Camaro styling gets fixed, all bets off.

Hows the business case holding up for the Nissan 370Z and GTR? Very little engineering overhead, strong margin, improving durability/longevity/value. Hows the sales on these?

If I’m not mistaken the S650 will keep the S550 platform just a little tweaked (not opting for CD6). No way it will use the C2 (Focus) platform though...

I might be wrong, but I remember that someone mentioned it in here.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
If I’m not mistaken the S650 will keep the S550 platform just a little tweaked (not opting for CD6). No way it will use the C2 (Focus) platform though...

I understand CD6 will borrow heavily from the S550, in terms of chassis component design, albeit updated. So I expect S650 to use those updated components. No need for a clean sheet design....just tweak and improve what's already there (y)

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
First of all: Told you so, guys.

You are not wrong, however you need to remember that the C2 platform is very flexible and it might accommodate a RWD configuration as well (but no, this is not the case).

I understand CD6 will borrow heavily from the S550, in terms of chassis component design, albeit updated. So I expect S650 to use those updated components. No need for a clean sheet design....just tweak and improve what's already there (y)
Not exactly. CD6 = Clean Sheet.
The S550 platform is currently based on a RWD version of the aging D4 platform (yes, the same D3 platform that was updated for the 2011 Ford Explorer).

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
OK, so if S650 is a mildly modified S550, why push its introduction back 2 years? :(

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
OK, so if S650 is a mildly modified S550, why push its introduction back 2 years? :(
Easy answer: Jim Hackett

The Mustang is selling really well right now, so a big UPDATE doesn’t seem a very good idea just yet. Its better if they keep the current generation (moneywise).

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
He needs to look further than the end of his nose. The S550 may be selling well, but I'd wager sales will slide within the next two years. We'll then have an ageing product that won't sell well for the last two years of its lifecycle. Genius!

That's exactly what they did with the Fusion :frusty:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
And if it isn't selling well, then you cut it and boom look at that, cost savings! /s

Plus after a few years of it being cut, you can come out with a new anniversary special edition and sell it at an even higher price. I don't like the idea of that but sounds like something Hackett would do -.-

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Status
Not open for further replies.