New Whipple Massive Heat Exchanger w/ Fan Delete

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
So after looking back at some pictures, I realized I installed my larger HX backwards (both outlets facing the driver side) and with the brackets flipped. But it fit perfectly.

With the way I installed it, the lower inlet lines up with the old location of the dual fan heat exchanger (no need for the weird long 180* line running along the bottom), and the upper outlet I used the whipple factory passenger line with 90* bend and went right through the gap between the air filter airbox and the radiator, and up to the lower manifold of the blower.

I didnt have my whipple installed prior to installing the new heat exchanger so I couldnt really see how it should have been installed to begin with. I plan to leave it this way as I cannot imagine trying to feed the passenger side outlet up around the pulley of the blower like the stock routing calls for, I have large 10AN crossover fuel lines at the front and rear of the fuel rails and it is VERY crowded in that area just under the blower pulley.
Pics?

*Edit:
BTW: my radiator has shipped.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Updated my picture above. If I had the patience I would have drilled a hole right where you see the ford logo and shortened the 90* bend to go through it there, its a tight fit between the radiator and AC line that is there, but can be done.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Updated my picture above. If I had the patience I would have drilled a hole right where you see the ford logo and shortened the 90* bend to go through it there, its a tight fit between the radiator and AC line that is there, but can be done.
Looks good, can't wait to see that thing on the dyno!

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Looks good, can't wait to see that thing on the dyno!
Jannetty is booked out to mid September so I may look to dyno elsewhere. Might also let another shop do the clutch, driveshaft, axle install just to speed things up. Been ripping on her with the stock clutch :eyebulge:

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Jannetty is booked out to mid September so I may look to dyno elsewhere. Might also let another shop do the clutch, driveshaft, axle install just to speed things up. Been ripping on her with the stock clutch :eyebulge:
That's the stuff that isn't fun without a lift! If you end up local please let me know!

Sponsored

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if it will function flowing backwards?

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
I wonder if it will function flowing backwards?
There's no "backwards" or directional flow, what matters most is you fill it from the bottom up, as the intercooler is a push pump. Even still would prob work either way.

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
That's the stuff that isn't fun without a lift! If you end up local please let me know!
Oh I have a lift lol just not the time, the opg + whipple install put a good dent in the allowed man time allowed in the garage lol

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It has arrived.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang

Sponsored

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
For those that might be interested. The oversized HE paired with the CJ intake, trunk tank and running pure water in the system my IAT2 is around 10 degrees over ambient at WOT! Saw a big drop by covering the intake tube with heat shield. I did that all at the same time so it's hard to say what made the most impact.

Bkingnorth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
FYI.
I bracket race this car regularly. A lot of people told me that I'd never get a supercharged car to be consistent. They are definitely wrong. The trick with it is to make certain it's always warm. Never let the car cool down too much or keep it some what heat soaked, constantly monitor the trans, and engine temp to make certain it's always the same when taking the track. IAT is critical. This means while in the staging lanes, letting the car idle or holding at 2500 rpms at times to make certain it's always the same when you get to the burnout box. Burnouts, staging etc are to be performed identically EVERY run.
Two weeks ago I made it to the finals in No box. I ran 9 rounds with the car that day and the numbers were as follows. 10.31,32,32,32,33,31,33,31,30. Three of these runs were calculated data as I let off at the end.(ahead....don't break out.)
I regularly log all of my data.
OK. On to the installation of the new HX. Last weekend I went to a three day race. I decided to run two classes (box and no box) to make certain I got lots of data. On Saturday Friday I ran with the old exchanger and Saturday with the new one. My weather station was stating that both days had very similar weather throughout the day.
The car ran 10.30s all day. From 31 to 34. Identical as the previous day and data logged IAT's in every gear of every pass were almost a carbon copy of prior data. Not just from this weekend but for the other 100+ passes I've data logged. This car always runs between 10.30 and 10.38 regardless of air temp and DA( here anyway +\- 1800')

Save your money.

Ironair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 RR GT PP
Is drag racing really a fair way to test this though? I mean you are only running air through the thing for 10 seconds, and then however long your trip down the return road takes. I can see how both would perform almost identically under those conditions. A better test would be cruising down the highway at 80 for a period of time, or even just normal city driving, and seeing which one keeps temps lower. Has anyone rigged up a way to measure the temp of the coolant leaving the heat exchanger. Since there isn't a way to measure IAT2, coolant temp might be the next best thing.
Sponsored