Sponsored

New whipple install, started it up, no vacuum!!

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT PP Competition Orange
Okay guys been working on my whipple install for the past few days. Finally got it all done tonight and flashed the tune and started her up. Runs like crap and has no vacuum and AFR is 20:1 so obviously I have a giant vacuum leak. I took the throttle body back apart to check on the O ring there and I pulled the blower back off to check on those O rings and everything looked fine. Made sure all four O rings were all where they should be and put it all back together and started it again and same issue. Anybody have any advice? I have double and triple checked. All hoses are connected and tight. I did not really have any issues with anything during the install, everything went pretty smoothly so I can not believe there is an issue. Is it possible it could be one of the hoses that came in the kit from Whipple? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Tyler
Sponsored

OP
OP

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
On a side note I did just think about this. In the manual it did say to use thread sealant on threads but when I saw all the fittings had o rings I didn't think thread sealant was necessary but I guess the o ring just keeps air from escaping around the fitting but does nothing for the threads. Is this my problem?

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Is it possible the MAF element is installed backwards? Take a look at the arrows on the element. It can be mounted the wrong way.

OP
OP

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
The tang connector is facing down. Is that right?

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Dang Dustin best me to it

The MAF housing has been installed backwards a few times by accident and can have similar effects. When looking into engine compartment from in front of car the MAF electrical connection should be on the front side of the MAF. As in between it and the headlight, not between it and the engine.

Hopefully this is all it is :)

Sponsored

OP
OP

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
Dang Dustin best me to it

The MAF housing has been installed backwards a few times by accident and can have similar effects. When looking into engine compartment from in front of car the MAF electrical connection should be on the front side of the MAF. As in between it and the headlight, not between it and the engine.

Hopefully this is all it is :)
Yes the MAF is installed in the front side of the housing like it was in the stock position and the connector clip is facing down at the ground. Would the MAF being installed backwards cause 0 vacuum to show on my vacuum gauge? I have a PP car so it has a gauge and it is showing 0 vacuum.

Mine looks identical to this one.
Enclosed_airbox_800.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
Here are some pics of some fittings and some of the install.
IMG_4374.jpg
IMG_4375.jpg
IMG_4376.jpg
IMG_4377.jpg
IMG_4378.jpg
IMG_4379.jpg

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Is your bypass hose connected to the nipple on the drivers side towards the front of the intake? Also check the Whipple lower manifold it has 2 other 1/8 npt ports that should be plugged, make sure they have plugs. Your positive your Whipple intake and supercharger are sitting flush on the there surfaces with nothing in the way?

Nick@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.teamjdm.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tremor
Were any of those metal fitting missing o-rings? We did an install in our shop recently and some of the metal fittings had the o-rings in the bag and others were missing them. No big deal for us since we have things like that readily available to us. If any of those fittings were installed without the o-rings it could be part of or the problem.

Sponsored

Miglo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/ PP 401A NAV in DIB
Could try the old school method of spraying a little starting fluid around certain areas while engine is idling. If your idle increases, there's your vacuum leak...

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Smoke test.

OP
OP

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
Is your bypass hose connected to the nipple on the drivers side towards the front of the intake? Also check the Whipple lower manifold it has 2 other 1/8 npt ports that should be plugged, make sure they have plugs. Your positive your Whipple intake and supercharger are sitting flush on the there surfaces with nothing in the way?
Yes the bypass hose from the bypass solenoid is connected to the smaller nipple on the front of the driver side lower intake. Will PMed me that there is a port on the back of the lower manifold that should be plugged and I checked that and it is plugged it appears. Where is the other? Yes I am pretty sure they are sitting flush with nothing in the way. I did a very nice job of clearing everything out of the way of the mating surfaces before I put them down in their positions. They were laying flat against the surfaces with no gap even without any bolts in them.

Were any of those metal fitting missing o-rings? We did an install in our shop recently and some of the metal fittings had the o-rings in the bag and others were missing them. No big deal for us since we have things like that readily available to us. If any of those fittings were installed without the o-rings it could be part of or the problem.
My fittings were also missing O rings and they were no where to be found. I contacted Will and he overnighted them to me so they all have O rings on them.

I did try some spraying of brake clean around some areas to see if I could get the motor to rev but honestly it is running and surging so badly I can't tell if it is reving from the chemical or because it is just running poorly.

I would love a smoke test but I do not have a smoke machine. Is there anywhere to rent one or get one cheaply?

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yes the bypass hose from the bypass solenoid is connected to the smaller nipple on the front of the driver side lower intake. Will PMed me that there is a port on the back of the lower manifold that should be plugged and I checked that and it is plugged it appears. Where is the other? Yes I am pretty sure they are sitting flush with nothing in the way. I did a very nice job of clearing everything out of the way of the mating surfaces before I put them down in their positions. They were laying flat against the surfaces with no gap even without any bolts in them.

My fittings were also missing O rings and they were no where to be found. I contacted Will and he overnighted them to me so they all have O rings on them.

I did try some spraying of brake clean around some areas to see if I could get the motor to rev but honestly it is running and surging so badly I can't tell if it is reving from the chemical or because it is just running poorly.

I would love a smoke test but I do not have a smoke machine. Is there anywhere to rent one or get one cheaply?
Any codes? I know you just finished OPG/CG, not sure if you still had the factory components, but did you try and start it before putting the super charger on to ensure things were good in those regards?

OP
OP

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
Any codes? I know you just finished OPG/CG, not sure if you still had the factory components, but did you try and start it before putting the super charger on to ensure things were good in those regards?
Yes I started the car and drove it around all day last Saturday and everything was fine with it all day. I did that on purpose for this very reason so I would know it had nothing to do with the OPG/TG install if there was an issue.

It did have a code right after I flashed the Whipple calibration. I don't remember exactly what it was but was something about the throttle body throttle sensor. It was the only code that popped when I read the DTCs after the flash.
Sponsored