Sponsored

New Valve Covers

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
But this is the 350 section, thus the gen 3/DI issue is moot.
Sponsored

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
I figured that was the case but GrayS550 looks to have a Gen3 so figured I’d point out you guys are apple and oranges. :)
This begs the question on "what" valve cover options do GEN3 owners have other than a SC?

Am happy with the power of my GEN3 Bullitt, but would like some bling under the hood.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
When you dropped off your valve cover at the powder coater. Did you press out the spark plug and VVT seals and removed the PCV baffle plate that is RTV'd on the interior?
If you didn't, did any of the seals survive the powder coat oven?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I finished powder coating my GT500 covers. I ended up removing all the gaskets and the PCV baffles. I made some rapid prototype tools to remove the seals and will attempt to press them back in with a bottle jack / arbor press.
My objective is to keep the car with a stock appearance and only someone with a keen eye will notice the subtle differences. I used a Dremel to remove all the casting parting lines on both covers. I then media blasted the covers 4 times to get the texture of the cover to appear rough enough that it looks like the OEM plastic valve cover. I then powder coated the covers and got the result I was hoping for. A couple photos for your viewing enjoyment.

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

OP
OP
JLTH2183

JLTH2183

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Time consuming for sure but the end result is great. Some may argue that its not worth the time to do all that but different strokes for different folks

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I gotta say, I totally support what's already mentioned, but must admit I'm purplexed. That's alot of work, effort, and money to add weight and make it look completely stock. Gotta say, you stumped me on that one. I'm gonna go out on a limb and take a stab that no one will ever notice that one. But, it sounds like that was your goal!

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I finished powder coating my GT500 covers. I ended up removing all the gaskets and the PCV baffles. I made some rapid prototype tools to remove the seals and will attempt to press them back in with a bottle jack / arbor press.
My objective is to keep the car with a stock appearance and only someone with a keen eye will notice the subtle differences. I used a Dremel to remove all the casting parting lines on both covers. I then media blasted the covers 4 times to get the texture of the cover to appear rough enough that it looks like the OEM plastic valve cover. I then powder coated the covers and got the result I was hoping for. A couple photos for your viewing enjoyment.

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg
Nice work looks good, this kind of detail separates the men from the boys. Worth the effort & time put into the project. :thumbsup:
And a whole lot more interesting than some light swap or stick-on:computerrage: scopes.

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I had no reason, other than to see if I could do it, potentially ruin the covers, and hang out with my brother. This is the 1st time I have attempted to powder coat something. We didn't know how to make the powder coat look rough, so we had the idea to media blast them. Besides the covers, I spent just over $100 in material that my brother did not have on hand and used the equipment in his pole barn. We had little to no guidance along the way and it was something to learn. I will admit we are complete amateurs using what I considered "makeshift equipment".

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Got to see the DS cover with the baffle cover plate off. So it assuaged my curiosity on that.
Sponsored