Sponsored

New Shelby debut based on GT350 Carcass?

thehygienist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
IRISH
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT350
Shelby is dead and in my opinion the last real Shelby was the 70 Shelby G.T. 350 and the G.T. 500. Everything since has been aftermarket mods and badges.
The last stick of gum was when Wrigley died. The last Ford was a Model A. There have been no Monopoly games since Mr. Parker died.

The point being, Shelby made something and others put the branding on it, it was bought and sold. There's no magic here, no expectation of magic. Gum is still gum, Fords cars are Ford cars, Monopoly was sold to Habro.

The idea that brands live on is nothing new, so why would anyone care that Shelby has lived and died when the idea of having a high-performance Mustang just lives on in his name.
Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Great another mustang with a $30k badge kit and $70k in supercharger and suspension.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
The last stick of gum was when Wrigley died. The last Ford was a Model A. There have been no Monopoly games since Mr. Parker died.

The point being, Shelby made something and others put the branding on it, it was bought and sold. There's no magic here, no expectation of magic. Gum is still gum, Fords cars are Ford cars, Monopoly was sold to Habro.

The idea that brands live on is nothing new, so why would anyone care that Shelby has lived and died when the idea of having a high-performance Mustang just lives on in his name.
I get what you are saying but no one is saying Wrigley gum is better than any other gum simply because it still has his name on it. Some people feel they have something special because it has Shelby name on it when all they have is a Ford with a badge on it. Shelby was hands-on with the original Shelby Mustangs that is why I say the last real Shelby's in my view were the 60's Shelby's and the Cobra. You can't really argue as it's my opinion and I never stated it as fact. Everyone is welcome to their own opinion. Shelby has been so overused the name means nothing to me anymore.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
OH .. I know..A trans cooler scoop! A useless shovel with no handle. Serious engineering here!
At least SA isn't including useless parts that we have to pay for in a kit & the 'useless shovel' isn't so useless if it reduces trans temps..

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
So Disney is no longer real and my iPhone is no longer an iPhone?:faint:

Sponsored

thehygienist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
IRISH
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT350
I get what you are saying but no one is saying Wrigley gum is better than any other gum simply because it still has his name on it. Some people feel they have something special because it has Shelby name on it when all they have is a Ford with a badge on it. Shelby was hands-on with the original Shelby Mustangs that is why I say the last real Shelby's in my view were the 60's Shelby's and the Cobra. You can't really argue as it's my opinion and I never stated it as fact. Everyone is welcome to their own opinion. Shelby has been so overused the name means nothing to me anymore.
Cool man, you missed my point. Means something to some people, means nothing to others, like you. "Shelby" as a marketing badge doesn't work on you and it works on others (me for example). I think the concept was once that because Shelby made it, it was badged for that reason. But now the concept is that a Shelby is marketing-speak for "high performance Mustang". Most informed purchasers know that Shelby doesn't mean Carroll Shelby would've built it just that way. IMO, Ford Performance builds a far better performance car than Carroll Shelby could have ever built, but they honor his spirit just the same, and the marketing folks obviously think it's good business. I personally would not like to see Ford part ways with the Shelby name because I think Ford's high-performance Mustangs should continue to honor the memory of Carroll Shelby, even if in badge only.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Cool man, you missed my point. Means something to some people, means nothing to others, like you. "Shelby" as a marketing badge doesn't work on you and it works on others (me for example). I think the concept was once that because Shelby made it, it was badged for that reason. But now the concept is that a Shelby is marketing-speak for "high performance Mustang". Most informed purchasers know that Shelby doesn't mean Carroll Shelby would've built it just that way. IMO, Ford Performance builds a far better performance car than Carroll Shelby could have ever built, but they honor his spirit just the same, and the marketing folks obviously think it's good business. I personally would not like to see Ford part ways with the Shelby name because I think Ford's high-performance Mustangs should continue to honor the memory of Carroll Shelby, even if in badge only.
I see what you guys are saying - I agree with both. I think we all agree that people are just buying marketing and some nostalgia, that's fine. I just SMH when someone tells me they bought one for the investment...so I guess it all depends on to what degree a potential buyer is drinking the coolade.

It's like comparing art by the original artist to art that's done in his style. While a gallery might sell you on the nostalgia of owning a stylized piece of art, it's just not the same.

GT 350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT350, 2008 Shelby GT/SC convertible
Can't hate SA for selling a car that anyone could build themselves. They obviously have a market because they are in business and people buy what they sell. The only thing they sell that I'd want would be a AC
Shelby never, ever made a car called an AC. It was called a Shelby Cobra!!!

Mustang_2015

Gt 350R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt pp/ 2016 Z06/7
Shelby american made some portion of the ford shelby mustangs from 1965-1970 so yes they are real shelbys...

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Shelby never, ever made a car called an AC. It was called a Shelby Cobra!!!
Oh please! Are you serious? Who do you think made the Cobras for Shelby? Factory 5?
It was a AC COBRA Mk series I through III AC was the British body / chassis maker AC Ace. Same as how the British supplied the Sunbeam Tiger that Shelby used and stuffed them with 260s and 289s.
Shelby did not make the cobra body/chassis. He and his team just upfitted them with V8's. The AC (cobra as you consider it) was originally a 6 cylinder car. Just like other British roadsters of the time (MG A&B, Triumph, Sunbeam alpine etc) that were small, light weight, 4-6 cylinder engines.

Sponsored

ARS1

GT350 Member H2678
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Shadow BLK/Blue Ordered 8/25
Just that name is a mouth full... Terrible name choice IMO but it is SA we're talking about here.

GT 350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT350, 2008 Shelby GT/SC convertible
Oh please! Are you serious? Who do you think made the Cobras for Shelby? Factory 5?
It was a AC COBRA Mk series I through III AC was the British body / chassis maker AC Ace. Same as how the British supplied the Sunbeam Tiger that Shelby used and stuffed them with 260s and 289s.
Shelby did not make the cobra body/chassis. He and his team just upfitted them with V8's. The AC (cobra as you consider it) was originally a 6 cylinder car. Just like other British roadsters of the time (MG A&B, Triumph, Sunbeam alpine etc) that were small, light weight, 4-6 cylinder engines.
I was referring to the name of the car, not the parts and origin of the car. After ownership of several vintage Shelbys, I am totally familiar with Cobras and Shelbys.

Since you are such a smart guy, then you should know Shelby never called his car an AC Cobra. If fact, Carroll hated guys that called it an AC. I saw him cross it off a poster once he was autographing and added Shelby about the AC that he had crossed out. And since you are so knowledgeable about Shelbys, I'm sure you know the original Mustangs were not called Shelby Mustangs, but were titled as a Shelby GT 350.

Please, save the history lesson for yourself and please forget the AC Cobra misnomer.
Sponsored