Sponsored

New Mustang Owner - Help (Driving Tips)

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Knowing what you should do does not equal being able to do the right thing in the moment.

Go get some car control practice with an instructor. Start by looking for performance driving classes in your area and/or attend 5-10 local autocross events.

With as much HP as these cars have, you must treat the gas pedal with respect. If you romp on it too hard (esp while the steering wheel is turned) it will come around on you.
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Now, now, now. He has the Manual. According to this forum, only A10 drivers can text and drive.

Of course. But according to this forum. Manual drivers are much more skilled drivers. So they should be better at texting and driving also.:wink:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I'm a bit worried for the OP.

Going straight from an AWD econo-box to a 460HP RWD performance vehicle is a recipe for disaster.

Dunno what to tell you OP, you just don't know what you don't know. You have a lot of knowledge and experience to gain, and it's nothing anyone on a internet forum can do for you with a few sentences or paragraphs.

My advice would be to find a performance driving school and start learning, and get the best damn insurance that you can, because you'll probably crash it.

I hate to ask, but how old are you OP?

Deleted member 35786

I'm a bit worried for the OP.

Going straight from an AWD econo-box to a 460HP RWD performance vehicle is a recipe for disaster.

Dunno what to tell you OP, you just don't know what you don't know. You have a lot of knowledge and experience to gain, and it's nothing anyone on a internet forum can do for you with a few sentences or paragraphs.

My advice would be to find a performance driving school and start learning, and get the best damn insurance that you can, because you'll probably crash it.

I hate to ask, but how old are you OP?
He did say he drives his family's Subaru.. Which I think we can safely assume he lives at home and is fairly young. Or it was just passed down to him years ago and it is still running. LOL

JPSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
If the ass end gets loose LET OFF the go pedal...

Don’t drive like a fool in bad weather conditions.

Don’t take turns or on/off ramps at excessive speed.

You’re not invincible and cannot be replaced.
This, absolutely this, been driving rear wheel manuals for a little bit of time now and still get into that hairy situation once and a while... Main thing, let out to straighten out!!

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....I think we can safely assume he lives at home and is fairly young......
That's the concern.

If the OP is male, and he's got any testosterone in him, that car will be toast in weeks. He'll Richard Hammond that thing into a tree in no time flat.

Jumping straight into a car like that is dangerous. It's much better to slowly up the performance of your vehicle over time, learning as you go.

Kleiss1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6- speed
I created a poll on the Facebook site, 2015+ Mustang S550 Group and there were three people over 64, me being one. And the majority 16-25. That’s scary.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I created a poll on the Facebook site, 2015+ Mustang S550 Group and there were three people over 64, me being one. And the majority 16-25. That’s scary.
I knew everything from 16 to 25.

Everything.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I knew everything from 16 to 25.

Everything.
"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."--Mark Twain

Kungfukendrixx

18Shadowblk_5_0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I'm fairly new myself, just got a manual 2019 pp1 as well.
In my experience any situation where I accelerated too hard into a turn was corrected by the traction control systems. Try to keep the car in either comfort or sport untill you better understand the handling, and the car will cover for you. Also the car has a 1k mile break in, Ford suggest keeping the rpm below 5k and varying your speed (don't cruise at any speed for too long). It should help you get used to the car as well as assure a smooth break in.

Enjoy the new ride, post some pics!
Where did you get the info regarding a break in period? Is this just something the dealer told you?

Sponsored

JackImpact

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Could be worse, could be your first manual car ever ;)

If you dont drive it like an asshole you wont have to worry about being on someones youtube fail compilation.

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Simple....light right foot, gentle take offs, drive at steady speeds, don't need to floor it everywhere. Drive your car easy and it will reward you and stay new and you will get excellent gas mileage also.

Deleted member 35786

People of that age and white mostly drive pickup trucks for whatever reason... Good to see your the anomaly.

thasuperdude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The fact that the OP is already interested in NOT being "that guy" shows they're more than capable of restraint. Be respectful of the car and learn it in a safe environment. I'm a strong believer in the auto-cross programs across the country. You're in a controlled space, with limited speeds and Pro-caliber drivers excited to teach/instruct newer drivers how to go fast. Safely. I've been drifting/auto-xing BMWs for 7+ years now and this car is scary. Until I learn our limits together, you won't find me sliding it on the streets no matter what. Plus it's still under 1000 miles.

Have fun with the car, but be respectful, or you will end up over a curb sooner or later.
Sponsored