Sponsored

New Motor Coming My Way....

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
16’ GT350
Took my 2016 GT350 in for an oil change and to start oil consumption testing. After the dealer wrapped up the oil change they called me to say the left bank was miss firing. This was a surprise as the car drove in just fine, I mean I only have about 17k on it.

They kept the car through the weekend and started to diagnose it last Monday. That day found that the cam phasers needed to be replaced. Based on my research this is not a common GT350 problem but happens more with Coyote motors. Any way I agreed to the repair (luckily under warranty). They said the car should be done and ready for pickup yesterday.

Got a call Wednesday and was advised the pins holding the phasers sheared off....WTF? Long story short a new long block is coming my way. Not the result I expected when originally going in for an oil change....not sure if I should be happy about a new (hopefully Gen 2) motor or concerned about a catastrophic failure 4 months into ownership.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TxGT350-52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot, 2021 Diesel Tremor CG
Took my 2016 GT350 in for an oil change and to start oil consumption testing. After the dealer wrapped up the oil change they called me to say the left bank was miss firing. This was a surprise as the car drove in just fine, I mean I only have about 17k on it.

They kept the car through the weekend and started to diagnose it last Monday. That day found that the cam phasers needed to be replaced. Based on my research this is not a common GT350 problem but happens more with Coyote motors. Any way I agreed to the repair (luckily under warranty). They said the car should be done and ready for pickup yesterday.

Got a call Wednesday and was advised the pins holding the phasers sheared off....WTF? Long story short a new short block is coming my way. Not the result I expected when originally going in for an oil change....not sure if I should be happy about a new (hopefully Gen 2) motor or concerned about a catastrophic failure 4 months into ownership.
Wow, that is a big repair for a car that was seemingly driving fine. It is a good thing you had an extended warranty. Keep us posted on the progress.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
16’ GT350
Luckily car is on certified pre owned warranty.

Anyone know how the warranty on replacement motors work?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

If it hasn't been tuned, it should be covered under the original five year power train warranty. 2016 engines have been pretty reliable, so it's surprising you had oil consumption issues and a broken phaser.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Surprised to hear Ford’s shipping a short block. Also that the dealer tore into your Voodoo.

Ford must be loosening up...

Good luck, I hope the repair is to your satisfaction.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
16’ GT350
If it hasn't been tuned, it should be covered under the original five year power train warranty. 2016 engines have been pretty reliable, so it's surprising you had oil consumption issues and a broken phaser.
No tune, motor is stock minus catch cans. Glad it’s covered in any case. Hopeful the new motor will be stout.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Would a broken dowel in a cam phaser be in the cylinder head? If so then why a short block instead of a long block?

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Type-o on my part meant long block.
Just trying to figure out current practice- Ford authorized your dealer to open up your 5.2 to diagnose what went wrong?

EliteGeeks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I would not accept anything else other than a new car, the GT350 is a numbers matching motor/body and the car technically now loss a massive collectors value.

Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
They broke off a cam phaser dowel or bolt. Your not getting that out unless you take it all apart. He’s not getting a new car over that. Don’t be silly. As we type go check the ads, there are lots of used and new 350’s at lower prices. In 40 years maybe it’s collective, not now.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
I would not accept anything else other than a new car, the GT350 is a numbers matching motor/body and the car technically now loss a massive collectors value.
That goober in the video needs to go buy an old Corvette and he can rant and rave all he wants about matching numbers this and original, born-with motor that. I don't see that ever being an issue with modern vehicles. Long before they ever achieve bon-a-fide collector and antique status in 30 or 40 years, the electronics and computer crap will have failed, become obsolete, no longer serviceable, corroded and broken down beyond repair or wait for it - everyone will have gone electric and fuel for collector cars will only be available in barrels from closely controlled sources. The only collector value these things are going to have is as a static display in the Peterson Museum. Until then these will depreciate, then gradually level off and maybe see a slight bump but nobody by then is going to put down their cell phone, risk scratching their apple watch or get their jacket dirty crawling around under the car trying to see what the motor stamping is.
I just sold my 2003 low mileage, pristine, garage-queen kept SUV Lightning for about $6,000 less than I paid for it new 17 years ago - which is pretty good IMO and we should all hope the GT350 would do as well. But out of all the inquiries on it, not one asked if the motor was original.

petstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT350 TP Magnetic w OTT Black Stripes

I am in a similar situation. My 2016 Track Pack with 16k miles had a crack in the block and got a new gen 2 motor that went in mid Feb this year. Ford is offering me 7 yrs/ 100k miles on the power train from the date I bought the car in 06/ 2016. I should be good for another 3 yrs.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It's a GT350, no an F40.

Don't save the pussy for the next guy.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
The value for current GT350 model may go up or down, nobody knows. I could care less about that. I just enjoy riding this amazing car, that what I purchased it for. I go out and drive it whenever possible I can.
Sponsored