Sponsored

New Car Day!

Ophidian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, Tech & Handling, Twister Orange!
I had my BIG day yesterday and took delivery of my GT500! It’s been quite a journey to get to this point, but incredibly worth it. My order went in on 1/12 and we’re just over six month to taking delivery. The toughest part of the wait was seeing my car being fully built in mid-April and just having it sit in the rail yard for over six weeks. Apparently, the shipper will not send out a rail car unless it is full and I was caught up in the factory shutdown with no cars coming behind mine to fill the rail car. Finally, Ford gave a ‘short ship’ authorization and all the Mustangs moved out at once.

My initial impressions of the car are just insanely good. I’m coming out of a 94 SVT Cobra so you can get an idea of my driving expectation baseline which is pretty low. But I can tell right away this is a whole new driving experience ballgame. The handing is incredible, the car just stays incredibly planted and holds any line I’ve thrown at it. It does feel like a heavy car, but I’d prefer that to the light-in-rear feel my 94 had. My 94 did have a soft ride but I’m happy to trade that off for performance. Acceleration is just insane and I’m still a bit frightful of it at this point. A quick blip of the throttle gets me to 80 in no time on the small back roads I’ve traveled. I’m really looking forward to attending Track Attach to get a sense of the real capabilities of this monster.

My dealer experience was really bizarre unfortunately. I had really low expectations as I went with a small local dealer as they were the first one to offer me a MSRP deal. Upon arrival, my car was parked out front and just glistening in the sun. It instantly attracted an audience and no one could walk by without checking it out. As I got close, I saw my Handling Package was still bubble-wrapped in the front seat. This was a bit of a WTF moment. I told my salesperson that it was a dealer-installed option and I expected it to be installed. His reply was the install was not included, but they could do the install for $300 and I’d have to come back tomorrow. I told them to hold off and I’ll get it installed elsewhere. Same issue with the front license plate bracket; not installed. In hindsight, that’s not a big deal as I’ll get a tow-hook installed, but come on ask me what I want before I get there. The last oddity was they claimed they could not sell me a wheel/tire warranty. I can’t image they would be untruthful on that as they’re making money, so I accepted it and will research getting a warranty through my insurance coverage.

I am super grateful for all the community members here. I’ve learned a ton here and that has really improved my overall understanding of the car and the ordering process. HUGE shoutout to @Snoopy49 for all his help. He has proved to be invaluable and provided me with so much more info than my salesperson, any of the online Ford tracking sites, and the Ford Performance info center. He watched over my entire ordering process and really deserves a title akin to ‘GT500 Guardian Angel’!

IMG_2252.jpeg

IMG_2253.jpeg
Sponsored

RareBreed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody M6, 2018 F-150 Raptor, 2003 Corvette, 1998 Mustang Cobra
What are you referring to as the handling pack? It looks like maybe you are talking about the front splitter, which comes bubble wrapped and shipped in the car. If so, installation is included and the dealer is paid for it from Ford when they do the PDI. Make sure they install it, and correctly, at no charge!

OP
OP
Ophidian

Ophidian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
What are you referring to as the handling pack? It looks like maybe you are talking about the front splitter, which comes bubble wrapped and shipped in the car. If so, installation is included and the dealer is paid for it from Ford when they do the PDI. Make sure they install it, and correctly, at no charge!
Yep, I‘m referring to the front splitter. I‘ll reach out to Ford Performance and get proof that it should have been installed. I am on the fence about making the hour drive to go back there when they are so clueless that this should have been done. Not sure I really want them messing around with my car now. They would also have to install the oil catch can and I believe that is a bit more involved.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD

Sponsored

Dig-It

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
GT500KR (0758), GT500 (N2617), GT500 (N3432)
Congratulations! Please post the last 4 digits of your VIN and your chassis number, and I’ll add you to the registry post.

The splitter should have been installed by the dealer. The HP splitter wickers, oil catch can, and gurney flap are the owner’s responsibility to install.

I asked my dealer to leave it all up to me (I enjoy doing this kind of stuff). It all went together fairly easily thanks to the detailed instructions that come with each piece.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD

Attachments

OP
OP
Ophidian

Ophidian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Thanks all! I get it all done at a closer dealer to me. I have no access to a lift and don’t have any experience with doing my own work. Best for me to leave to the pros.

Face76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Pretty much my experience yesterday too. Drove 400 miles to pick up the car and the front splitter was in the front seat. Asked the salesman how my wife was driving home with me (we dropped a rented car at the airport). He had a quick install completed but it put us a little behind so no big deal. Gonna pay a local dealer to do the rest.

Sponsored

PUR_SPD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, RR, CFTP, TP; 2013 Boss 302, SBY; 2016 F150 Super Crew; 2010 Audi A6
Your car is gorgeous!!!!!

Be brave and do the installs yourself. I did mine, yes it took a couple of hours but very rewarding and you'll know how things are put together. It isn't hard at all.

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
Congratulations and make sure you also have the oil separator, that is not included with the install however, as others have said, the gurney (very easy to install yourself) and the front lip/wickers are included as part of delivery.

One note to make, if this dealer does not know what should be part of delivery, I would caution you to have them perform any service. Personally, I am going to take mine to a dealer who has serviced a GT500 as some dealers have done things like add less oil by following the 5.0 service instead the the GT500, which is 11.0 quarts.

Anyhow, congrats once more and oddly enough, I saw a model with your exact colors at Target a few weeks ago.

Mayberry

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 500, 2021 F350 King Ranch
Looks great!
Congratulations!!