NEED HELP - Wife complaining about her "new" car

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
I installed the Borla resonator on my 16, LTH with ataks and it really calmed it down allot, id imagine with active exhaust quiet mode would be more than fine.
another option for the harsh shifting is to have it tuned for comfort and not sport. like others have said if you can find the handheld or just find out who the tuner is they should be able to give you a more comfortable shift.
have you tried reaching out to the dealer to ask about the previous owner? just so he could tell you what tune and might even be able to help with getting a more daily driver friendly one. If the dealer wont just flat out give you his info ask if they will contact him and pass along your contact info.

just because you have longtubes does not mean the transmission "HAS" to shift hard, its just when people put longtubes they would like the more aggressive shifts to accentuate the added power and have more sport orientated driving.

you dont have to spend thousands to get this done, the borla resonator is around 250 and if the previous owner has the handheld and works with you he might even be able to get a free tune revision done. but thats best case scenario.
Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
If you get a Borla (or Ford Performance by Borla; they are similar but not the same) resonator, check what size the LTs are outputting. If it's more than 2.25 inches, you'll need an exhaust shop to help you install it.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
If you get a Borla (or Ford Performance by Borla; they are similar but not the same) resonator, check what size the LTs are outputting. If it's more than 2.25 inches, you'll need an exhaust shop to help you install it.
An adapter or something could potentially be used, but yes, the Borla resonator is designed to connect to the OEM mid pipes without modification using the stock clips.

OP
OP

tnmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Beyond what timeframe? If the Ford dealer didn’t disclose the mods, it could be considered fraud.
I agree with you, but it's one of those out of state delivery situations and the while COVID thing has new rules in place about a 3 day window. At this point, I just want to get it to a reasonable level.

OP
OP

tnmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
If the vehicle came with the tune device (it should have), then you can flash it back to stock with it. If not, SCT or a tuner can rebuild your stock file based on your PCN software p/n and strategy code. Stock catback will be much quieter.

I'm with the others, that if it wasn't disclosed that the car was modified in this way, take it back.
How do I know if there is a tuner? I didn't see anything out of the ordinary in the cab section of the car. Would it be under the hood?

Sponsored

OP
OP

tnmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I have the Borla S-type catback for my '18 GT without active exhaust. However, I also bought the Borla 60661 H-pipe resonator to use instead of the included X-pipe to make it quieter. That should quiet it down some and it should be a direct replacement for the X pipe w/ the S type catback.

Another question - does it have catalytic converters? You could possibly add some high flow cats to further quiet it down.

Borla H pipe.jpg
It has gone through a cat delete. There are no catalytic converters unfortunately. Cats are a possible solution if they are compatible with 3in pipes.

OP
OP

tnmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
If you try putting resonators on... the problem is will it then be acceptable to your wife. I am guessing not. This means you have to likely remove LTH install stock manifolds and possibly buy a new OEM exhaust. Let's not forget tune the car if you don't still have the tuner device with stock tune on it. This starts getting difficult and expensive.
Yeah, I wasn't given any tuner device with the vehicle.

OP
OP

tnmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
If you try putting resonators on... the problem is will it then be acceptable to your wife. I am guessing not. This means you have to likely remove LTH install stock manifolds and possibly buy a new OEM exhaust. Let's not forget tune the car if you don't still have the tuner device with stock tune on it. This starts getting difficult and expensive.
I thought that the ford dealership would have a factory tune they could flash on the vehicle based on the VIN, but maybe I am asking too much.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I thought that the ford dealership would have a factory tune they could flash on the vehicle based on the VIN, but maybe I am asking too much.
Unfortunately not with long tubes or most cais. Those 2 things would need to be returned to OEM for a stock tune. Cat back would not matter but would be much quieter on stock.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I just thought of another potential solution - you and her trade cars! :like:

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
OP
OP

tnmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Where in Tennessee are you? Which dealer if you care to mention? I'm in east Tennessee between Knox and Chat.
I am over here by Nashville, but headed to Gatlinburg on Sunday :)

OP
OP

tnmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I think a big question is the LTH and if they're catless. If those are catless that would be where I start my transformation back to stock as that is going to have a HUGE difference. I have a 2020GT with the Borla Active S Types and Quiet mode with stock headers is nothing comparable to a "fire breathing dragon". If you replace the headers and for some reason its still too loud you can get Borla's resonated H pipe as mentioned above.

Check the glove box and stuff and see if it has the handheld tuner. If not, i'd get stock headers and get the dealer to flash it back to stock and see how she likes it then. A stock tune car, with just borla actives on quiet mode with normal driving mode selected is a very comfortable ride. Tuned or not driving in S+ driving mode will make the shifts harder and RPMs hang so i'd advise her to just keep it in normal.
I called the dealership up in Louisville where she bought it and left a message with the manager asking about the tuner. Hopefully they can get with the original owner and at least let me know what kind of tuner they used.

The car also has a Rousch CAI. I assume it will have to be tuned again for use with stock manifold, but correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks again for all the insight and information.

OP
OP

tnmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Stock headers should quiet it down best. Hit up kt3. Hes looking to sell his.
I installed the Borla resonator on my 16, LTH with ataks and it really calmed it down allot, id imagine with active exhaust quiet mode would be more than fine.
another option for the harsh shifting is to have it tuned for comfort and not sport. like others have said if you can find the handheld or just find out who the tuner is they should be able to give you a more comfortable shift.
have you tried reaching out to the dealer to ask about the previous owner? just so he could tell you what tune and might even be able to help with getting a more daily driver friendly one. If the dealer wont just flat out give you his info ask if they will contact him and pass along your contact info.

just because you have longtubes does not mean the transmission "HAS" to shift hard, its just when people put longtubes they would like the more aggressive shifts to accentuate the added power and have more sport orientated driving.

you dont have to spend thousands to get this done, the borla resonator is around 250 and if the previous owner has the handheld and works with you he might even be able to get a free tune revision done. but thats best case scenario.
I have reached out to the manager at the dealership and requested information about the tuner. I know they have contacted the owner already, because we only got one fob with the vehicle and they were able to get the second one from the original owner.

I hope you are right and it might just be a resonator and tune away from being "mom-friendly". That would be the best outcome.

Thanks again for the insight and all the help!

OP
OP

tnmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I just thought of another potential solution - you and her trade cars! :like:
I offered this up to her, but she isn't interested in my RAM 1500 Limited. She still wants the sports car, without the extra "sport". <sigh>
Sponsored