Need Help Picking A New Rear 20" Tire

sadams930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium Convertible
So I've read about a million posts and threads about all the different tires everybody is running, and I'm still unsure of what to do here. I know there's no such thing as a do everything tire, but I'd like to get close. Here is what I got and what I'm trying to do -

2020 PP1 w/magneride on Steeda dual rates (1/2" drop all 4 corners) and every possible suspension upgrade. I went with the handling version of all of them, as it's not a drag car.

It's got a paxton blower putting out 723whp right now. It's running 20x11 et52 rear and 20x10et34 front wheels. Current tires are pilot sport 4s 315/30 rear and 295/30 front. I just checked my wear on these, and the fronts look brand new, but the rears are almost toast. Guess I'm spinning more than I think. So my plan is to replace the rears now and hopefully they wear out around the same time as the current fronts, and then I can go from there.

I'm looking for a tire that hooks up better than the ps4s but is still respectable in the corners. I do way more road racing style driving than dragging, but right now this thing kicks the ass end loose at full throttle at anything under 65 mph.

I can fit a 305 or 315 with the 35 profile instead of 30 for some more sidewall, which I know will help hooking up, but he slightly worse on the corners. That's a fair trade to me.

So I'm looking for recommendations for which size and what tire would be a step up in straight line traction from my current setup. I don't expect to be able to dead hook from a dig or anything. Just be able to confidently floor it at 40 and not have to worry about reeling in a fishtail.

Car is not driven in the winter, and hardly ever sees rain, though it might get caught out once in a while.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Pilot Sport Cup2 or Goodyear Supercar 3 should help in that department. They are stickier than the PS4S and are good track tires.

OP
OP

sadams930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium Convertible
Pilot Sport Cup2 or Goodyear Supercar 3 should help in that department. They are stickier than the PS4S and are good track tires.
I've been eyeing up those supercar 3s after seeing some glowing reviews from tire-reviews.com who is just about the only person I trust for unbiased opinions. I'd have to go a little smaller to 285 up front when it's time to change the fronts, but that's not the end of the world.

I also keep staring at these r888r's and nt555's but I am afraid they'll give up too much in the handling department.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I've been eyeing up those supercar 3s after seeing some glowing reviews from tire-reviews.com who is just about the only person I trust for unbiased opinions. I'd have to go a little smaller to 285 up front when it's time to change the fronts, but that's not the end of the world.

I also keep staring at these r888r's and nt555's but I am afraid they'll give up too much in the handling department.
I wish I had some experience with the Toyo’s to share but unfortunately I don’t. The Nitto’s (R2’s) hook well but I’ve not tried them on twisties so I’m not sure on their handling capabilities. Stay away from the G2’s, they suck.

@shogun32 is an advocate for the Supercar 3’s as well I believe. I’ve driven a ZL1 on those tires and they’re really good IMO.

I’ve driven the GT350R and GT500 (street driving) on Cup2’s and they do well also.

If you do get caught in the rain on any of those tires, just tread lightly. They’ll do ok as long as you take it easy on the long pedal until you reach your destination.