Need Help - Burnout/Launch 2015 GT Auto

az89gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Okay, I've read a lot of threads and thought I had it figured out, but apparently not. I made a couple of baseline passes a month ago with the 235 Pirelli's and traction control on - That yielded a 13.32 at 108mph with a 2.1 60' time. I'm in AZ so it's hot as hell, hence the numbers. I picked up a set of 275/40/17 M/T drag radials on 03 Cobra wheels and went back to the track last night. I couldn't get the burnout right, and the car just wouldn't leave the line (like the nannies were all still on).

I owned/raced a 78 Fairmont with a big stroker motor for 12 years, so it isn't a case of being clueless - I've done hundreds of burnouts at the track, and done my fair share of racing, so it appears that I'm just clueless on the new technology.

I put the shifter in S, started the burnout in 1st, and when I used the paddle shifter to get to 2nd, the RPM's immediately dropped to 2,000 and quit spinning the tires. If I bounced it off the rev limiter in 1st, would it have shifted to 2nd by itself and then my paddle shift took it to 3rd instead of the anticipated 2nd? (I forgot to look - The Fairmont was so loud and vibrational that you could do everything just by feel) Should I just put it in S and do the burnout starting in 2nd and leave it there???

The other issue is that it just won't leave hard. First I held the traction button for 5+ seconds to disable it, but it was apparent when I launched the car that it was still in control, yielding another 2.1 60' time and 13.57 at 106mph. There was no spinning at all, so it wasn't a case of blowing the tires off - It just felt dead off the line. The second time, I pulled the plug next to the air box which per my research means all nannies get disabled. On that pass it did exactly the same thing!

So, how can I truly turn everything off so I can make a proper pass???
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
.....The other issue is that it just won't leave hard. First I held the traction button for 5+ seconds to disable it, but it was apparent when I launched the car that it was still in control,....there was no spinning at all, so it wasn't a case of blowing the tires off - It just felt dead off the line. The second time, I pulled the plug next to the air box which per my research means all nannies get disabled. On that pass it did exactly the same thing!.....
When you pulled the plug, everything was disabled.

I think the issue here, is your expectations. A small, high-revving V-8 isn't going to act at all like a "big stroker motor" V8. It's just not going to launch that hard, these aren't really fast cars. I'd guess there not being any spin off the line with drag radials and an automatic is pretty standard.

Last edited:
OP
OP
az89gt

az89gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I realize the car won't leave like my Fairmont did, but I don't think my expectations are unrealistic for it to 60ft better than 2.1...

Does anyone here have personal experience with a similar setup they can share?

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
In hot weather, with a 3.15 gear and an A6, low 13s do not surprise me. In better air, you would be in the 12s. If the track is prepped, you will not have wheel spin issues with MT drag radials. At my local tracks, cars like yours are typically in the low 13s during the hot and humid summer. Those same cars will run mid 12s in October when it is cool and dry.

Are you using line lock for your burn out or foot brake? Line lock is better since it allows the rear to spin freely without any braking action.

OP
OP
az89gt

az89gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Thanks for the info. I've been foot braking the burnout, but will use the line lock next time I take it out; but, given the fact I'm not fighting traction issues I may just run my new PP tires/wheels at the track until I get more power, and just skip the burnout entirely.
Sponsored